“Drop and give me six bajillion!”

So, reality TV has come to the Burgh. Ya know Dick Buttkiss? Er, I mean BUTKUS! You know, former Chicago Bear (gag), Hall of Famer, actor (I always remember him most from My Two Dads), XFL commentator, annoyingly obnoxious he-man, etc.

Well, he has taken over as head coach of the Montour High School football team all for a reality show that will air on ESPN. His goal? Improve on the lots of losses, one win record of the team.

So yesterday was day one of filming and the forced DRAMA was out in full effect. How?

Well, consider the following:
–The Spartans practiced for nearly six hours
–They churned through sprints and slammed their bodies into sleds and never slowed to more than a jog — even when going to get drinks of water.

Butkus’ response:

“I don’t think we can honestly say we gave it 100 percent today,” Butkus told the team after practice, as microphones leaned in.

Heh.

These are teenagers that practiced for six freakin’ hours? The only thing I think I’ve ever done for six straight hours is maybe sleeping. Heck, even in college, our tennis team practices were only three or four hours. If I played football and didn’t slow to more than a jog for six straight hours and some smarmy, football legend-actor told me he felt I didn’t give it100 percent, I’m pretty sure I’d spit at him and kick him in the balls.

Just saying.

On the other hand, he does seem as though he grown a heart over the past couple of decades, so we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

1. Rob
    August 10, 2005 12:29 pm

I would guess that they had either two 3 hour practices or three 2 hour ones.
    If it was 6 consecutive hours, I would think that the Montour parents would be hunting down the trailer or RV or whatever Butkus is living in.

I don’t remember him from My Two Dads, what did he do?

2. pittgirl
    August 10, 2005 1:13 pm

He was the owner of the diner located downstairs from the loft apartment. Always giving “fatherly” advice. Damn I loved that show. I gotta tell you I’m pretty embarrased to admit that in a public forum.

3. rob
    August 10, 2005 10:16 pm

Was he always flirting with the judge?

I know about the embarrassment, I remember watching that show with my mom and her ducking all my questions about it’s plausibility. I think my best was “why would a woman have s e x with two men?”. Oh, the awkwardness.

4. pittgirl
    August 10, 2005 10:42 pm

Heh. Now THAT made me laugh. Just awesome.

I honestly cannot remember if he flirted with the judge, but he was always giving Nicole advice about Zach and Corey.

Sigh.

I can’t believe I remember that.

5. rob
    August 12, 2005 10:33 am

Wow, Zack and Corey, I forgot about the little history repeating itself love triangle.
    Do you think that the world is ready for My Two Dads: The Next Generation?

I’m also embarrassed to admit that I just checked around to see if MTD was out on DVD. That would have been tough to explain on the the shelf.

6. pittgirl
    August 12, 2005 10:40 am

Ummm. Is it available?

I don’t think My Two Dads would be that hard to explain on the shelf. Step by Step DVD? Now THAT would be bad.

7. rob
    August 14, 2005 10:20 pm

Oops, sorry, didn’t mean to leave you hanging all weekend, wondering… but the answer is no. It wasn’t listed on Amazon or at tvshowsondvd.com.

I think either My Two Dads or Step by Step, especially Step by Step, just would make me look like a man with a problem.