Somebody is SO fired.

Craziest thing. I searched the WTAE news website for the term “breaking news” to see if I could find an image of their “breaking news” graphic. I clicked on their “breaking news” page and WHOA!

Somebody is sooooooo fired!

Check out the image of www.thepittsburghchannel.com/weather/2406745/detail.html

You know that The Pittsburgh Channel is actually WTAE’s website right? Right. So why the hell are they advertising how awesome Channel 11’s breaking news coverage is, with a nice picture to top it off?

Do you think anyone over at WTAE has realized this? Am I the first person in history to visit this particular page and realize this?

Awesome.

1. Stewart
    October 24, 2005 8:56 am

Remember, “You must first uninstall the old version in order to install the new one.”

2. contratimes
    October 24, 2005 10:33 am

That’s quite funny! Thanks for sharing it. It would seem that yes, indeed, you are the first person to notice it. I admire your attention to detail.

It will be intersting to see what comes of it. Keep us posted. I should think that if no one is fired, several people (this involves more than one person) will be scolded.

BG

3. Anonymous
    October 24, 2005 6:01 pm

Are they owned by the same company? Many stations here in the Lou are owned and operated by only a few corporations. ClearChannel Entertainment operates 6 radio stations here, so they are always promoting other stations.Seems kinda weird.

btw, love your blog, the pics too!

Chef Mike
    Saint Louis

Chef Mike

4. pittgirl
    October 24, 2005 10:49 pm

I have no idea. I’m going to find out though. :)

5. pittgirl
    October 24, 2005 10:58 pm

My research shows that both WTAE and WPXI use a company called Internet Broadcasting (www.ibsys.com) for their websites. WTAE is owned by Hearst-Argyle and WPXI is owned by WPXI TV Holdings, Inc., so I would say different owners but they are using the same Internet news service and somebody at Internet Broadcasting used a shortcut and forgot to change the name from WPXI to WTAE.

So basically, what Stewart said.

Now, who’s going to tell WTAE?

Bueller?

6. Stewart
    October 25, 2005 7:30 am

Someone told them. Or someone was listening. It’s fixed today.

7. pittgirl
    October 25, 2005 10:22 am

It’s fixed? Why doesn’t it look fixed to me. Still shows up wrong for me and I did about a billion page refreshes and went into the page a different way and it still shows up wrong.

8. pittgirl
    October 25, 2005 10:23 am

Ah, I see. If you go to the home page and click on “Destop Alerts” that page is right. But if you search for “breaking news”, the page it gives you is the bad page.

9. blee1
    October 25, 2005 4:32 pm

WPXI is actually owned by Cox Communications.

I wrote RealPittsburgh.com which became Pittsburgh.com which became WPXI.com so I used to go to WPXI a lot.

10. pittgirl
    October 25, 2005 9:26 pm

See Burghers? Sloan (Blee1) really is the smartest person I know.

By the way, have you all seen this?