I had a nightmare I was a brunette.

I’m having mixed feelings about these local girls “girlcotting” the A&F t-shirts.

They started with a little protest and suddenly they are on the Today Show and on CNN talking about the degrading nature of the T-shirts and demanding they be pulled from the stores.

I don’t think a T-shirt advertising the wonders of being a blonde (I am a brunette, but gee, I know for a FACT that blondes get more attention, so these shirts are damn true), is so terrible. Nor do I think a shirt advertising a nice rack is so terrible. Couple of reasons:

1. I don’t hear the blondes flipping out, nor do I hear the girls with nice racks flipping out.
  2. If you don’t like ’em, don’t buy ’em. Girlcott them, but quit trying to force the store to quit selling them.
  3. Why get upset about these shirts? Why aren’t they pissed about microminiskirts, see-through shirts, thong underwear, cleavage baring or tummy baring shirts, and the other countless items sold by countless stores that are basically ho-wear for teens?
  4. I don’t think this is a reflection of the amoral values of A & F. I think these shirts are a reflection of A&F making a profit on the decreasing moral values of America in general. They wouldn’t stock them if they weren’t selling.
  5. I can make one on CafePress if A&F pulls them.
  6. I want this t-shirt.
  7. I think it would be cool if I, a hot brunette, wore a shirt that said, “I had a nightmare I was a brunette.” Same way I think it would be awesome if a small-chested girl wore the shirt that says “Who needs brains when you’ve got these?”

And then there’s this:

Sen. Steve Rauschenberger praised the “courageous actions” of the girls in Allegheny County and said he plans to introduce a resolution this week asking Abercrombie & Fitch to stop selling the T-shirts in his state.

I’m sorry, but that is freaking hilarious. A resolution?! To stop selling T-shirts?! What about this shirt? Or all of these? Or holy hell, what about this Sen. Rauschenberger? Do we want this filth in our state?

I guess my point is this: chill. It is a t-shirt. There are worse things in the world. Like K-Fed’s rapping. Oy.

And now that I’ve read my post, I realize I don’t have mixed feelings at all.

Update:

Apparently, I am in the minority on this one.

1. Grey Hodge
    November 3, 2005 1:08 pm

I pretty much agree with you. It’s a tshirt that you must voluntarily purchase, not an ad campaign foisted upon you at every intersection and billboard. And to be fair, A&C HAD another shirt that says “I had a nightmare I was a blonde” too. So they’re equal opportunity offenders. They need to girlcott the thongs for 6 year olds first and foremost though. I really have to wonder what kind of mindset is in that company where dozens of people all agree it’s a good idea to sell butt-floss to prepubescent girls.

Wear the “… I was a blonde” shirt proudly. There are way too many blondes as it is, brunettes rock. However, I’ll be wearing the shirt that says, “I dig redheads. Rowr.”

2. Libby
    November 3, 2005 1:27 pm

I was all ready to buy one of those micro-mini skirts just for the “unique grinding”…….and then I realized the phrase continued on to say “and abrasion details.” Never mind.

3. pittgirl
    November 3, 2005 2:02 pm

I can’t tell you guys how much I love it that the comments on this blog are just as funny, if not funnier than the blog itself. It just rocks.

4. Amos_thePokerCat
    November 3, 2005 7:08 pm

This little girl from Schenley is just as tiresome as the Bible thumpers that boycott A&F.

The Trib has some insight in the PC nature group. Who’s the brains behind this T-shirt girlcott?

“We, as young women and girls, do not need to create extra competition between our ranks,” she said. “By girlcotting these shirts, we not only create unity for a single project or battle, we create unity within the female community as a whole.”

What is this gobble de gook? A recital from a HS Marxist pre-college course? Press conferences, prepared statements, CNN flying in for an extended interview. blah, blah, blah. Ya, I bet this little girl has really got a lovely sense of humor.

Not.

Irony is lost on the Allegheny County Girls as Grantmakers program.

5. sinkerbeam
    November 4, 2005 12:12 am

I think the most offensive thing about this whole story is the fact that A&F is trying to get people to spend $24.50 for a t-shirt…

6. Lara
    November 6, 2005 3:29 pm

I guess I’m in the minority right along with you. I guess t-shirthell.com is next on thier crusade to rid the world of HUMOR!!! For GOD’S SAKE it’s a flippin’ T-SHIRT!!! GET OVER IT!! If you don’t LIKE it, DON’T BUY IT…why does EVERYONE have to suffer because a few whiny “girls” are “offended” about something that’s so unimportant in the grand scheme of things?!?!?!?

7. Anonymous
    November 14, 2005 9:00 am

Hey, you have a great blog here! I’m definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a site for you cool t shirtcaulfield, its called Holden Tees. We’re a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees

8. trinity
    December 11, 2005 10:42 am

so i feel completely pathetic for having just read this, but those girls are idiots. they’re as bad as the people on the street who tell me that i’m going to hell. at least i’m going to have fun getting there, right?

and did you notice the price on the microminiskirt? it was $148. that’s just outrageous.