A peek into PittGirl’s mailbag

If you peek into my electronic mailbag, you will find a few love letters, a few pissy letters (hiya, Diamond Dave!), a few pleas, a really cool way you can make $10 mil from a dude in Nigeria, and other such fun.

I think from time to time, I’ll share with you some of the better one’s I get that truly showcase how awesome Burgh Blog readers are:

Today’s email comes from a guy I’ll call “Bob”.

PittGirl,
i’m disappointed in you. haven’t lost faith, just disappointed. got to talking with a friend tonight about music and what we’ve respectively been listening to and somehow started reminiscing of shows at Graffiti and Cloud 9. The Affordable Floors get thrown into the mix and before you know it, a google search turns up a reunion show for not only The Affordable Floors, but for the old (and now legendary) pittsburgh radio station 100.7 WXXP – their 20th anniversary. believe it? believe it! now, i don’t hold you to the responsibility of promoting all cool goings on in pittsburgh (i’ll put that weight on the shoulders of iheartpgh.com) but a quick peek into your archives for the first week of October (WXXP tribute show was held Oct. 7-8) reveals references for upcoming appearance by both Queensryche AND Greg Brady in the ‘burgh but totally devoid of any mention of the WXXP show. i realize your blog aims at satirizing pittsburgh and not as the informer of anniversary gatherings of pittsburgh radio stations of the past, and there definitely remains the possibility that you weren’t aware of the WXXP show. if you weren’t aware, i apologize for all of this. however, if that hip side of you knew about this one-time event never to be repeated (i can’t imagine a 50th anniversary) and refrained from any mentioning of it, then i hold you accountable. how do you plead?

boulder, colorado

My reply to which Bob hasn’t responded yet:

Okay, let me see if I got this right. This station was around from 1986 to 1988?

The reasons I made no mention are two-fold:

–I didn’t know about it. God, I love the ignorance plea, and I enter it duly for the record. I was 12 when it started and 14 when it ended. Now had this been a B94 “Quinn and Banana” type reunion, I would have been on it like skank on Paris Hilton.

–“The XXP show will begin with a reunion of the Affordable Floors and then move on to members of 11th Hour, the Spuds, A.T.S., the Floors and other bands backing singers like Chris Theoret, Ronda Zegarelli, John Young, Alex Peightel, Lexi Rebert, Jen Catalina and Ed Masley.

I’ve never heard of a single one of those, so the article never entered my radar. When I hear “Affordable Floors,” I think of “no payments for three years at Home Depot.” Obviously I am not as hip as I think I am.

Now, in the future, should there be an event that you Bob feel that I PittGirl should be sure to find a way to snark on so that it can be included in my blog, you should email it to me PRIOR to the actual event. I forgive you for not finding out about this before the event took place, but maybe we shouldn’t let that happen again?

I think we’ve reached an understanding?

Also, I hope the fact that I am incredibly hot will erase some of the disappointment you are feeling toward me?

JP

Now, did ANYONE go to this reunion and who the hell are The Affordable Floors?! And how much cheaper are they than The Floors?

1. blee1
    November 8, 2005 10:15 am

We now know you are 31ish..

Let the stalking begin!!! lol

XX was a station that for a moment reminded me of WBCN-104.1 FM in Boston… probably the best alternative station in the nation….

2. pittgirl
    November 8, 2005 11:55 am

Actually, Sloan, if you were more observant, you would have realized that I have given my age away before. I’ll let you hunt for that post. Go on.

3. Julie
    November 8, 2005 1:02 pm

Quinn and Banana! Quinn and Banana! In the morning! In the morning! B94 FM!

4. pittgirl
    November 8, 2005 1:14 pm

I so clearly remember one promotional jingle they had where a little girl sang, “Quinn and Banana, Quinn and Banana, In the morning B-FORTY NINE EFF EMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.”

I feel old.

5. blee1
    November 8, 2005 2:52 pm

I haven’t been reading your blog for very long and I have no intention or parsing all your entries just to gleem some insignificant information about you ;)

I’ll just read the new posts and make comments…

hehehe *I like to watch* hehehe

lol…

6. Anonymous
    November 8, 2005 4:07 pm

I lived in Pittsburgh from the early 90s until around 97.

The Affordable Floors were a great band. I remember seeing them at Metropolis.

Other bands that we went and saw were Nixon Clocks, the Clarks, Gathering Field, and Rusted Root. And Rosebud’s had a fun house band called House of Soul that played a lot of funk.

For its size, Pittsburgh had a great local music scene. Does it still?

7. pittgirl
    November 8, 2005 4:15 pm

PittGirl knows when she’s out of her league, and the local music scene? I got nothing. A little help from you more knowledgeable Burghers to answer anon’s question?

Although I HAVE heard of Rusted Root and The Clarks! Yay for me!

8. blee1
    November 8, 2005 5:01 pm

The scene isn’t bad. Nicks Fat City is gone.. Electric Banana and Graffiti’s are gone.

But we have the Rex, Club Cafe, 31st Pub is still here… and a ton of other little places… but no real “BIG” local bands except for the old usuals IMHO.

9. Josephine March
    November 8, 2005 7:40 pm

This post has been removed by the author.

10. Libby
    November 8, 2005 9:39 pm

I don’t remember the post itself, but I remember you mentioning your age, because I framed it in reference to my own age. Of course, I’d forgot it, since I’m older than you are. Now, I don’t know any of these bands, but since that guy brought up Greg Brady, can you tell me what the Brady kids called themselves when they were on that talent show the first time they sang together? (Wow, I need a life. Heh.)

11. Anthony
    November 8, 2005 10:20 pm

The Affordable Floors were bigger than the Clarks, and far better in my opinion. They were instrumental (pun intended) in spurring a great music scene in Pittsburgh in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. The local music scene hasn’t been anything close to as good as it was back then since.

WXXP was a great radio station, and far, far ahead of its time.

12. Anonymous
    November 9, 2005 7:00 am

Nick’s Fat City is gone? Bummer. Graffiti’s too? I never went to the Electric Banana but I remember flyers up all the time. They had a punk rock night weekly or something.

Bradys = Silver Platters

13. Anonymous
    November 9, 2005 11:21 am

Diamond Dave’s still emailing you? Do you feel special?

14. pittgirl
    November 9, 2005 11:24 am

No, Diamond Dave is NOT still emailing me. But I saved Diamond Dave’s emails from the past, because I like to remember the first time anyone has ever called me a c–t to my face (at least via email).

15. DIAMOND DEPOT
    November 21, 2005 3:36 pm

Find out how your company rates by using a little known rating system!

Is your company a Scam, Dud, Scheme, Fraud Or Good Opportunity?.

95% of the money-making opportunities on the internet have been worked to death or are not suitable to be marketed through the internet. How does your company and/or opportunity rate… I’ll leave it to you to decide if your service, product and/or money making opportunity falls in this category.

Hurry you may NOT be happy with what you will find!