Dad! Look at that dead deer . . . with shoes!

From the PG wire reports:

FRANKLIN, Pa. — A man’s body was apparently mistaken for a dead deer along a state highway, police said.

The body was lying along the road for as long as three days, authorities said. He was wearing tan clothing, which apparently led passing motorists to assume it was a dead deer, Venango County Coroner John Greggs said.

A Pinegrove Township employee reported the body yesterday after noticing the man’s shoes, Mr. Greggs said.

I don’t know about you, but I’d like to think that I could tell the difference between a dead deer and a dead human. Unless this was a giant human, with tiny tiny feet … whose arms were the same length as his legs.

So the moral of the story is this: If you are going to get hit by a car and die on the side of the highway and would like anyone to notice that you got hit by a car and died on the side of the highway, make sure you very clearly look human.

1. Julie_Gong
    November 29, 2005 12:26 pm

In an almost related story… did you hear about the dead deer they paved over on rt 30. A whole dead deer. Not just legs or something a whole one. I can’t remember where it was though. Oh PennDot you are amazing.

2. pittgirl
    November 29, 2005 1:03 pm

Damn. They paved a part of Route 30 near where I live. Must go research. Bye.

3. pittgirl
    November 29, 2005 1:11 pm

Research complete. Found this article from 1996 in Andreas, PA that a crew paved over a dead deer.

Sad that people were probably more outraged at the over-paving of a dead deer than they will be over the fact that this poor dude lay dead on the highway for three days before anyone realized he was human.

Also, I found a great comfort in this line: “It is against state policy to pave over a deer.”

It’s nice to know we have a state policy in place that specifies that you cannot in fact pave over a dead deer.

4. Luke
    November 29, 2005 1:13 pm

There was no mistake. In Franklin a dead deer will feed a family of 8 for days. If anyone thought that this poor guy was a deer he’d a been on the supper table within hours.

5. pittgirl
    November 29, 2005 1:16 pm

Luke, you and I are kindred spirits because I thought the same damn thing. I just didn’t write it. If he was a deer, he’d be in someone’s freezer by now. So a big fat WORD to that!

6. Anonymous
    November 29, 2005 3:44 pm

Where are the pics? Surely they are for sale somewhere?

Chef Mike
    St.Louis

7. pittgirl
    November 29, 2005 3:56 pm

Which pics exactly? The dead deer-man or the dead paved-over deer-deer?

8. Julie_Gong
    November 30, 2005 12:10 pm

I saw the whole story on the news last night can’t remember which though… WTAE maybe. Like seriously he looked like a dead deer.

My mother agreed that he probably looked like a deer. “I mean he was dressed in tan.” I told her that she clearly was on crack.

9. pittgirl
    November 30, 2005 3:23 pm

Does that mean if a ref keels over on the football field people will leave him there because he looks just like a zebra? I mean, he has black and white stripes. What else could he possibly be other than a zebra?!

10. Chris Griswold
    November 27, 2006 8:50 am

This did not happen in Franklin. It happened within the jurisdiction of the Franklin barrask of the PA state police. The man was in the middle of nowhere on a rarely traveled road. I don’t blame anyone for assuming the body was a deer because no one would expect someone to be where he was, and dead deer line the rural roads and highways of Venango County because we have a high deer population. That’s why people travel from other states to hunt there.

People in Venango do not eat roadkill. That’s classist.