Funeral = party with beer?!

Burghers, I know I don’t know everything and maybe I’m just not completely in touch with local customs despite having been born and raised here.

So tell me, is beer often served at local funerals?!? Really?! Man, I’ve got to start going to more funerals. Do people crash funerals so that they can drink the free beer?

Either this is true, or Len Boselovic of the PG has a REALLY interesting set of friends and family members, because all of the funerals I’ve been to have been pretty sad occasions with people crying and snotting all over themselves and reading sappy eulogies. But no beer.

1. Sherry Pasquarello
    December 7, 2005 3:20 pm

yes, beer is often served at funerals, well, at the wakes or whatevers after the funeral. i’ve been to a lot, plus if you have an old fashioned 3 day 9a.m. to 9p.m. viewing going as some of my family and in laws used to, the house is open and someone from the family is always there and if someone stops, they eat, they drink and occasionally end up staying there all night. we are italian american and tho it has been changing over the years,too tiring, yep, beer and whiskey.

2. blee1
    December 7, 2005 3:48 pm

My relatives always go drinking after the funeral. Usually we do a shot of whatever was the persons favorite. For my one grandmother we all ended up getting wasted on Crown Royal…

For my grandfather, IC Light.

I always thought it was more of an Irish thing…

3. pittgirl
    December 7, 2005 8:06 pm

Then very obviously, I am missing out on some fun after funeral gatherings. In my circle, we get together afterwards and drink coffee and eat sandwiches. What fun is that?!

4. Sherry Pasquarello
    December 7, 2005 11:20 pm

not much, but then again, no one makes idiots of themselves at your funerals either.

5. Jo Janoski
    December 8, 2005 9:25 am

Obviously, you’re not Irish! ;)

6. pittgirl
    December 8, 2005 10:55 am

Nope, not Irish. I’m more I would say “exotic” in nationality.

7. Anonymous
    December 8, 2005 1:01 pm

My mother’s side of the family drinks a lot around a funeral.

When she actually died, there was a considerable amount of Tequila consumed the night before her funeral.

-Woy