Snow in PA? I’ve never heard of such a thing!

Are you all ready for the snow tonight?! Did you go to Sam’s Club and buy ferris wheel sized rolls of toilet paper? Did you buy some chickens so that you can get eggs in case we’re snowed in for six weeks? Is your emergency kit ready? Are you ready for your regularly scheduled programs to be broken into at the worst times and then have the local newscasters look all concerned while they tell you that … oh, my God, it’s SNOWING in PA! And they’ll used words like “Storm Shield of Safety” … “Severe Weather Center” … “Run for your lives”.

Sometimes, I think someone picked the Burgh up and put it in Miami. How else do you explain the hysteria that grips the city each time more than half an inch of snow falls? I blame the weather guys and the media. Just look at today’s headlines:

Okay, so I made that last one up. But still.

1. Funky Dung
    December 8, 2005 12:05 pm

I grew up in the suburbs of Philly, and I don’t recall this kind of panic, at least not for less than 6 inches. On the whole, I’d say Pittsburgh is pretty freakin’ obsessed with weather. The forecast is the highlight of every news broadcast. “Screw the war in Iraq and the murder in a local neighborhood. We can sum that up in a couple minutes. What the people really want to know is if it might drizzle tomorrow between 4:30 and 5:00 AM!”

2. Anonymous
    December 8, 2005 1:05 pm

Krista Villarreal’s day in the sun (or sleet) is now! She was in her complete glory this morning getting all geared up for the impending apocalypse.

I didn’t even realize we did a trade with Dallas to get her for Julie Bologna.

I wonder if we get a sportscaster “to be named later”.

-Woy

P.S. Eric, they were that hysterical when I lived there in Philly. Hurricane Schwartz had the budget of a small European nation at his disposal to track storms.

3. pittgirl
    December 8, 2005 1:14 pm

And we all know what else is coming … the shot of a weathercaster outside brushing the snow off of a car and saying, “Well, Bob, as you can see the white stuff is already starting to accumulate. There is a good 1/2 an inch on this car right here. The road crews assured me that they are on top of this developing situation. Back to you.”

“Okay, be careful out there!”

If only I could get my eyes to roll back even FURTHER in my head.

4. Anonymous
    December 8, 2005 2:09 pm

Ok where are the pics for sale of the snow?

We have what we call the ‘Panic aisle’ Milk and bread. People line up when snow is in the forecast. Not if its snowing, just in the forecast. We have two inches on the ground here and some highways are closed. You think its bad in PA????? Two inches and we get to leave early!!!

Chef Mike
    St.Louis

5. pittgirl
    December 8, 2005 2:17 pm

Chef Mike, how’s that collection of Burgh photos growing? My mother just called me from Walmart to ask if I needed her to get me some milk and bread. Good lord.

6. Anonymous
    December 8, 2005 4:12 pm

I will have the most eclectic and useless photography collection int he midwest if i keep on this way.

On the way home now, dare I stop at the grocery? They are probably out of bread and milk. By saturday the snow will be gone, but we’ll be gearing up for the next ‘Blizzard’

btw we got a total of 3.5 inches

Chef Mike
    St.Louis

7. Sherry Pasquarello
    December 8, 2005 4:50 pm

i grew up here and i can think of maybe 2 times while i was in high school in the late 60’s that school was delayed. ih grade school we just kicked our way through the snowbanks and thought nothing of it. in fairness tho, there were far less cars on the roads so traffic wasn’t as bad. this freakish obsession with bad weather isn’t a tradition here, but it will be now that the weather people have had a taste of the power they have to cause panic and to affect the economy and the toilet paper usage in this town!

8. Jewel
    December 9, 2005 12:46 am

you think it’s bad hearing about weather on the radio/tv?

try living in a dorm where the ENTIRE bottom floor consists of meteorology majors.

they’re staying the night in the campus weather center. need i say more?

9. pittgirl
    December 9, 2005 6:55 am

Oh my God. That is hilarious.

10. Sherry Pasquarello
    December 9, 2005 10:26 am

hey, i woke up and guess what? pgh STILL exists!