Adios BajaFresh!

If you’ve ever visited Baja Fresh in Monroeville, Oakland, or North Fayette …

All of the local BajaFresh locations closed for good today, out of the blue, no warning.

No more Baja Burritos, Fish Tacos, Carnitas.

Que onda?!

1. RichW
    December 13, 2005 10:35 am

That is disappointing. For a chain they weren’t bad. Not Taco Loco authenticity or taste, but better than most Mexi/Cali chains. The salsas actually tasted like, well… salsas.

Not sure if this was happening locally, but on the 15th (Thursday) Baja Fresh stores in the DC area were contributing 15% of daily receipts to the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.

Guess they’re not going to see a dime out of Pittsburgh.

2. pittgirl
    December 13, 2005 10:56 am

Rich, can I interest you in a little place in Cancun called Tacos Rigo? It is a hole in the wall, probably ripe with germs, but my GOD, the best tacos EVAH. Puts Taco Loco to shame.

3. Julie
    December 13, 2005 11:31 am

Huh. Will they be replacing the one in Oakland with another Mexican themed restaurant? There has to be one in that location to complete the “Bermuda triangle of Mexican restaurants” all within 2 inches of each other (Qdoba, Baja Fresh, Vera Cruz…)

4. Anonymous
    December 13, 2005 11:53 am

Damn! I had my first meal – burrito “enchilada style” – about three weeks ago.

Well, at least it was tasty.

-Woy

5. Funky Dung
    December 13, 2005 3:53 pm

Baja Fresh never impressed me. I won’t miss it. I’m a Qdoba fan.

6. Amos_thePokerCat
    December 14, 2005 12:11 am

If you are really Jones-ing, closest one is in Akron now. Their web site was updated, all PIT entries gone.

Just wait until McBurritto moves into town.

There is yet another CA-Mex clone in Robinson, Moe’s. Probably the most annoying flash web site, ever. As for the food, it is all dumbed down Anglo fare.

One less mediocre place, still no good cheap Mexican in the PIT.

7. Anonymous
    December 14, 2005 8:38 am

Dude, you need to go to Jimmy John’s website if you want to be sufficiently annoyed.

-Woy

8. pittgirl
    December 14, 2005 8:42 am

True that. Jimmy Johns’ site is right up there with the craptastically annoying Rolling Rock website.

9. Anonymous
    December 15, 2005 10:53 am

This is a travesty. One of my favorite lunch places was taken from me with no warning! It’ll only hurt for awhile…

10. ghostwiring
    December 17, 2005 3:53 pm

Well, blah. It wasn’t my favorite restaurant, but it was high up on my list of “chains I like, if there’s nothing local and good around.” It made suburban expeditions somewhat less annoying. (In Oakland we just went to La Fiesta.) A pity more places don’t have fresh salsa and limes always available.

Looks like Wendy’s may drop BF altogether, and is starting off by closing them in less successful markets. I won’t miss Baja Fresh so much, if some more real tacquerias open up here in ketchupville.

In the meantime, I need to assemble the ingredients for fish tacos.