PittGirl hisses at the media

PittGirl takes a lunch break to tell you that the local media sucks.

Obviously you heard the awful news about the construction worker that was killed downtown when he stuck his head in an elevator shaft and was hit by the elevator.

You’ve probably been hearing all the reports that he was decapitated by the elevator.

EVERY single news outlet had it that he was decapitated and just now they are saying that he was NOT in fact decapitated, but did die from the impact of the elevator.

I know that it may seem like a small matter whether a person dies from their head being hit by an elevator or their head being removed by an elevator, but if you’ve got a 44-year-old relative that works in the building and you’re watching the news, you’re thinking your loved one’s head got chopped off completely. Not pleasant.

Decapitation is the stuff of horror and war and it is a word that causes uncomfortable feelings. Running a story that someone was accidentally decapitated before being sure it is true is sensational journalism.

The news media really needs to chill on their obsession with being the first to report a story, and focus a bit more on reporting an accurate story, especially when lives are lost.

Stupid local media. You might not be able to hear it, but if you lean really close to your monitor, you’ll hear me hissing vehemently at them all.

1. Anonymous
    April 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Off topic, but this looked like something you would get a kick out of. Check out the last article – Go Granny!

2. Anonymous
    April 13, 2006 4:58 pm

So, in your mind, when the police tell a reporter that a construction worker was decapitated by an elevator, the reporter should wait for the autopsy before actually reporting it.

3. pittgirl
    April 13, 2006 6:18 pm

Oh, anon #2, you are hilarious. From what I read early this morning when the news first broke, is that a coworker came out of the building all distraught and told the media that a worker got decapitated by an elevator. I never heard anything about the police saying it. If the police said it, then you can just replace the word “media” in that entire post with the word “policeman”.

Thanks for being so snarky. I appreciate that, even if you are directing toward me.

4. Anonymous
    April 13, 2006 8:59 pm

write to wpxi and see if u get a response

5. Uncle Crappy
    April 13, 2006 11:10 pm

Most of us — “us” being the sucky local media — make every effort to ensure we’re accurate. I can’t vouch for TV to the same degree, but I know that every single one of us in print has been burned at one time or another by bad information that we get a few minutes before deadline. I’ve had a state trooper tell me that a deceased person had been stabbed, perhaps by a sword when in fact the man had died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. That part didn’t come out until about three days after the fact. And in the meantime I talked the same trooper, about the same incident, AND HE NEVER BOTHERED TO CORRECT THE INFORMATION.

My fault? Yeah, partially. But at 11:30 on a Sunday night, if he’s the only one who’s talking, that trooper was the only shot I had.

We try — hard — to be right. Sometimes, unfortunatly, we don’t quite get there.

6. Anonymous
    April 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Oh PittGirl … you shouldn’t lose your head over such things.

7. pittgirl