Here pigeon! Here pigeon pigeon pigeon!

A reader, (I’ll assume he’s a reader, otherwise how would he have known how much I love pigeons), Mark Denovich sent me this link because he thought I would get a kick out of it. Did I!

Cruel craze
Saturday April 22, 11:03 AM

Yobs are attempting to lure pigeons into the path of buses as part of a cruel new craze, a bird welfare group claimed.

The Pigeon Control Advisory Service (PiCAS) said it had received complaints from bird lovers in Bristol that youths in the city were throwing food into bus lanes in the hope of seeing pigeons and seagulls run over.

PiCAS has threatened to privately prosecute youngsters involved in the trend.

My questions:

1. Yob?
2. Am I a bad person because the mental image of it all gave me a case of the giggles?
3. Why is the Pigeon Control Advisory Service going to prosecute people who are merely practicing their own form of pigeon control? Just like deer hunters are practicing deer population control.
4. Does the Burgh have a Pigeon Control Advisory Service? If not, can we get one and can I be the CEO and can they pay me $650,000? Actually, my first act as CEO would be to rename it the Pigeon and Turkey Ass Kicking Service.
5. How long before PETA sends me an email?

1. Mark Denovich
    April 24, 2006 3:46 pm

Glad you enjoyed the link…

Wikipedia: Yob

More pigeon fun (again from England):
    Shock as Pigeons Culled by Marksmen

2. Mark Denovich
    April 24, 2006 3:52 pm

BTW: I’d love to be an employee of PATAKS. I can bring my own air rifle (which I then could write off as a business expense!)

3. Anonymous
    April 25, 2006 9:07 am

leave the animals alone!

4. awnawhellnaw
    April 25, 2006 3:04 pm

I am actually a dues-paying member of PETA.

Today, a pigeon got too close to me outside of Mellon One, so I spit on it. Right on its dirty little head.

PETA cares nothing for pigeons. We only care about the cute animals of the furry and/or barnyard persuasion, y’know? Hah.

5. pittgirl
    April 25, 2006 8:40 pm

Well, that is good to know. I feel a little better about my hatred for pigeons. If PETA doesn’t care about them, I’ll just go right on hating them.

6. PittLeo
    April 25, 2006 11:22 pm

Using PAT buses to control the pigeon population is something I would like to see. It is a better alternative than having pigeon snipers roam the rooftops of downtown Pittsburgh.

7. Beth
    April 26, 2006 7:04 am

As a Burgher living in London, I would just like to say that the pigeon population here rivals that of my beloved hometown. My (British) boyfriend makes fun of my fear, but come on, they’re dirty, evil birds that fly at your head. I have actually seen some yobs in London try to get the birds run over and I have to say I support their efforts.

8. ~mandakay
    April 26, 2006 9:28 am

then that proves my theory: the farther east you go, the more pigeons. there are no pigeons in my home state of wisconsin.