The bra that wouldn’t die.

This article caught my eye for a couple of reasons … well one reason only really.

My bra once set off the metal detector at Pittsburgh International. It was really no big deal.

I took my cute boots off and walked through the detector. BEEEEP.

I took a barrette out of my hair and walked through the detector again. BEEEP.

I took my belt off and walked through the detector again. BEEEP.

Thinking that I’m going to have to just strip down to my skivvies and walk through that bastard half naked, I look at the security guard who waved me through and sent me to the scanning area.

I am met there by a handsome mid twenties black man who smiles nicely at me, tells me to spread em. My arms that is. And then proceeds down one arm and then down the next. No beeps. He does my legs. No beeps.

Finally he hovers it over the front of my body and wouldn’t you know it. A big fat BEEEEEEP from my bra strap where the little metal adjustment clasp sat on my shoulder.

I laughed. He laughed. He sent me on my way. I grabbed a chai and hopped my flight to Dallas.

Sutter County Taxpayers Association member Roberta Fletcher said the male security guard seemed to enjoy waving the handheld metal detector over her chest.

Would a man really take pleasure in waving a big metal-detecting wand three inches from the front of a woman’s chest while other people stood around? Do you think he was licking his lips and moaning, “Ooooh, baby. You like it like that?”

“It is, at a minimum, for a woman, embarrassing. And at a maximum, it is sexual harassment to hold your arms outstretched while a male officer waves a wand in front of your breasts,” Fletcher told supervisors at their meeting Tuesday.

I think Mrs. Fletcher needs to get laid or something. Chill.

Not everything in this world is sexual harassment. Geez.

1. Joshua
    May 4, 2006 4:51 pm

Not yet, but eventually anything a man does to a woman will be considered sexual harassment if the woman doesn’t like it. And all because of this feminist movement. Now, I have no problem with women wanting equal rights, they deserve that, but don’t you think they’re pushing it a bit far?

2. pittgirl
    May 4, 2006 5:06 pm

I think it is simple common sense:

A guy grabs my ass repeatedly at work: Sexual harassment and a kick in the balls for him.

A co-worker looks at my boobs while talking to me. Big deal.

My boss shows me a picture of Serena Williams’ nekkid ass. Um, EW! I’ll deal with it, but I’m not going to sue for harassment. If he keeps it up, I might have to have a little chit chat with him.

My boss shows me his nekkid ass. Harassment.

More than once in my working life I have been in the middle of trying to have a serious work-related discussion with a man when I will get interrupted mid-sentence with a “You have very pretty eyes.” I’m not bragging, I’m just saying. It’s not harassment. It’s guys being guys.

I don’t believe for one second that Mrs. Fletcher was sexually harassed, not unless that man did something else entirely with that wand.

Aaaaaaaand, we’re back out of the gutter.

3. beth in london
    May 5, 2006 11:08 am

OK, totally unrelated to the bra post, but I knew you’d find this just as hilarious/scary as I did: The Pigeon Conspiracy

4. hallway monitor
    May 5, 2006 11:41 am

Of course, this whole discourse has your male readership again wondering what you look like. :)

5. Anonymous
    May 5, 2006 3:42 pm

Will we ever get to see what you look like?

6. pittgirl
    May 8, 2006 2:43 pm

Perhaps someday. I write about people I have met and therefore by remaining anonymous I don’t have to censor myself too much on topics.

However, I did once post a picture of my actual bare eye: