What a girl deserves.

So you remember that whole Taser incident in Oakland where a woman was Tasered for aggressive protesting measures?

She, along with another protester, pled guilty today to disorderly conduct, admitting she grabbed onto a protester that police were trying to arrest.

They tasered her ass for it.

Now that the criminal proceedings have concluded, Ms. Caliguiri’s attorney, Michael Healey, said the protest group plans to file a civil suit against the city for excessive crowd control measures and use of Tasers.

Of course! Civil suit looking for monetary restitution perhaps?

Augh! Look, you want to protest peacefully, by all means do so. You want to protest and become violent and interfere with policemen who are working, then your ass deserves what your ass gets, and your ass, Miss Caliguiri, deserved a Tasering.

Deal with it and move on.

Civil suit, MY ass.

1. Mark Denovich
    May 9, 2006 4:05 pm

So you think the police were justified in using the taser against an unarmed, obviously restrained woman? I just watched the video, and it’s clear that this woman posed zero threat to any of the cops surrounding her.

The taser is far from a benign tool of justice. It’s only mostly non-lethal, and is at best excrutiatingly painful. It should be reserved for emergency situations, where the police/public are clearly in danger.

I’ll bet money they used the taser to “teach this bitch to respect my authoritay.”

The fact that she pled guilty has no bearing on whether or not she deserved to be tasered. The DA probably gave her two options: be tried for trumped up charges with the risk of real jail time (and serious legal bills) or plead guilty, pay a fine and go home. (DAs generally only care about wins and losses.)

Please don’t dismiss me as some hippy sympathizer either. She’s almost certainly a patchouli-soaked loon… but I believe she’s got the right to protest, even to the point of disobeying the po-po, as it is unclear whether they were justified in clearing the protest. The police are granted their authority by the public. As a member of that public, I’d like to see them err on the side of permissiveness when it comes to my civil liberties. They can always arrest me later… I can’t be untasered.

2. Mark Denovich
    May 9, 2006 4:09 pm

One more thing: Think the gov’t gives two shits about a bunch of hippies shouting lame slogans? They are too easily dismissed. It’s a sad fact that the civil suit is a much more effective form of protest. Maybe next time the powers that be will just let protestors shout themselves hoarse. Then everyone can go home when it’s over and sleep the sleep of the righteous.

3. trinity
    May 9, 2006 9:52 pm

picture’s posted in my blog.

enjoy.

i think you’ve inspired me to start writing again. :)

4. Grey Hodge
    May 10, 2006 1:35 am

I think we should just give PittGirl a tazer and a backpack mounted battery and let her roam around downtown tazering people.

5. pittgirl
    May 10, 2006 9:14 am

Dude, you outfit me with a Taser and you think I’m going after PEOPLE!?

Pigeons, Grey Hodge. The damn pigeons!

Seriously though, Mark, I see your point.

6. Mark Denovich
    May 10, 2006 11:18 am

What kind of blogger are you? You aren’t supposed to admit that anyone else’s opinion has value unless it precisely matches your own. You are dangerously close to engaging in a dialog. Since you started it, I’ll risk stunning this horse to death by responding with some more thoughts….

A report on taser usage that influenced my opinions on the device:

Think what you will about the report or it’s conclusions, but this bit really made me wince:

A Taser International training manual states that “If only the stun mode is used, the M26 becomes a pain compliance technique…”(11) The advice given in the manual for “stun mode areas” is to “aggressively drive M26 into:

o Carotid/brachial stun area(12)
    o Groin

Ouch! Punched in the groin with 50kv. That’s cruel and hopefully unusual anywhere on the planet.

Back to your point: I will admit, that I also experience a certain amount of guilty pleasure seeing dumbasses get a smackdown… it’s tempered by the notion that someone might judge me a dumbass in need of a smackdown someday.

7. pittgirl
    May 10, 2006 12:11 pm

I’m an independent thinking Blogger.

I’m the Fox News of Bloggers.

Heh.

If that doesn’t get me a smackdown, NOTHING will.

8. Dwight
    May 14, 2006 10:25 pm

Since we’re on the topic, I think PittGirl deserves (and likes?) “THE SHOCKER!” :)