PittGirl is a little bit pissed.

Okay, I’ve been reading about this story of a ten year old kid that was in deeeeep trouble and was suspended from Penn Hills School because he brought a paintball/water gun to school for a class project.

Under the school’s zero tolerance policy, he was just recently expelled until 2007.

2007!

Holy shit! My first thoughts were along the “this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard,” but I didn’t post about it because it was reportedly a “look-alike gun” and fine, if he’s brandishing a fake gun that looks real, suspend him for a couple of weeks to teach him a lesson.

But then KDKA showed what the gun looked like:

When, pray tell, is the last time you were watching “The Shield” or “24” and saw someone mow down people in a splay of gunfire coming from a neon orange and green gun?

Yeah, me neither. So my conclusion is this, and now that I’ve made up my mind, I can post it: This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

The official code of the school is:

The hell? I don’t think that squirt gun, which again, he brought to school for a class project, falls into any of those categories.

My new hero by the way is Erin Vecchio. Who you ask? She voted against the expulsion:

“If we’re that afraid of a ten year old bringing an orange squirt gun to school then something is wrong with society, because he didn’t threaten anybody with it,” said Penn Hills School Board Member Erin Vecchio.

I’m just a little pissed off at the insanity of this all.

1. ~mandakay
    May 11, 2006 9:38 am

so basically we also need to rid all schools of their scissors, rulers, pencils, gym equipment, and scotch tape dispensers (those metal claw things on the end can do MAJOR damage).

2. pittgirl
    May 11, 2006 9:43 am

And damn, don’t forget the compasses. You could kill a horse with those things.

3. Slytheringrrl
    May 11, 2006 10:22 am

My kid got hit by a thrown chair one time… so maybe they should all sit on carpet squares instead of at desks. Won’t somebody think of the children?!?!?

BTW, was in Pittsburgh this weekend (shh…don’t tell anyone, since I’m from Cleveland) and I had a great time. Kennywood and the Zoo rock.

4. pittgirl
    May 11, 2006 10:25 am

Did you ride the SwingShot?!?!?!

5. Mark Denovich
    May 11, 2006 10:27 am

Did you see the interview with the child, where he explained his actions and apologized profusely? The kid was sincere and surprisingly articulate. I’m not surprised, but I am depressed by the board’s actions. He was the kind of student that makes me feel just a fraction better about my outrageous property/school taxes.

The one valuable lesson that this kid (hopefully) learned is: that those in a position of authority rarely have earned that authority through merit. They are often petty dictators wielding power in an arbitrary and capricious manner. Outcome is not much of a factor in their decisions, the only thing that matters is that their power was demonstratively excercised.

I joked only last week that if I could tell my past-self only one thing it would be “distrust authority.” It took me a while to realize that those in authority were just as likely to be morons as anyone else. The difference was they had power.

As a senior at my high school, I brought a working 10′ 4″ diameter cannon to school (which I setup on the school lawn complete with car-battery and scary looking wiring) for speech project: “How to build a carbide cannon” It caused only a minor shit storm, which was conluded in a 15 minute talk with the pricipal, and no diciplinary action. These days I’d be sporting an orange jumpsuit at Git-mo just for suggesting the speech topic.

6. hazel hazel
    May 11, 2006 10:42 pm

The absurdity of this and other situations is unbelievable. Where has common sense gone?

7. Grey Hodge
    May 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Back when I was still in high school, a good friend of mine was suspended for violating the weapons policy. Some doofus threw a pencil at him, he knocked it away with his hand (good reflexes!) and it his another kid and the tip broke off in that kid’s arm giving him a little scratch. My pal was the one suspended because the pencil came from his direction. The kid that threw it even admitted HE was the one who threw it. School administrations are crazy.