The current of death.

This is an artist’s rendering of proposed suspended walkways off of the West End Bridge. Very nice indeed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My favorite part of the artist’s rendering is the two young children sprinting hand in hand down a boardwalk next to the river, mere inches from the edge, with no railing or guardian in sight. Just a hop, skip, and jump away from swimming in the river of the current of death.

I’m guessing the artist doesn’t have any children he needs to keep alive.

1. Scott
    June 13, 2006 12:02 pm

I spoke with the artist about this and word is that Governor Ed Rendell plans to make railings and personal flotation devices optional for children.

2. pittsburghisgreat
    June 13, 2006 12:59 pm

if you are interested in learning about pittsburgh and pennsylvania’s environment, you should check out http://www.pennfuture.org

3. Jen
    June 13, 2006 2:01 pm

I have to agree that this is a very creepy rendering of this walkway area. I would think that the city would want something more realistic to publisize this venture. But that is just me.

4. Jo Janoski
    June 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Who are all those people in the river–in particular, the guys in…what is that…a kayak? Oh, and when was the last time you saw a little girl all decked out in a pretty little dress like that? Oh well, at least she’ll look nice when drag her out of the river.

5. Awesome Comet
    June 13, 2006 3:08 pm

Looks just like a screencap from Myst.

6. Pingback: The Burgh Blog » The current of death: Part II

7. matt
    June 13, 2006 4:13 pm

The good ol West End :) My home neighborhood

8. Barrister Jubril
    June 14, 2006 10:29 pm

Something about the kids in the image reminds me of that classic Vietnam-era photo of the napalmed children running from the bombed village. Is it just me?

9. pittgirl
    June 14, 2006 10:34 pm

It was until you wrote that, and now it is you and me. That whole rendering is just freakishly odd.

10. pittgirl
    June 15, 2006 11:41 am

Oh, and by the way Barrister Jubril, as you were one of the first to ever comment on my blog almost a year ago … nice to see you again.

11. Barrister Jubril
    June 15, 2006 9:54 pm

Thanks for the props. I’m still trying to decide if I like this city, as a transplant, but I’m stuck here for the time being.