The furries will be back

By now you know what I mean when I say “Furries” don’t you? You don’t think of furry handcuffs, or cute widdle bunny wabbits, or Dom Costa’s hilarious hair … you know I’m talking about those nutjobs at the Anthrocon 2006 here in the Burgh.

Comet now tips me that the Westin has inked the Anthrocon to be held here in the Burgh for the (gulp) next ten years.

While I can’t confirm the “ten years” part, they totally are coming back to the Burgh next year and they already have registration open on their website.

No doubt about it: We took the city of Pittsburgh by storm! It seemed that everyone was talking about us, from the restaurateurs downtown to the cab drivers going to and from the airport. Every city paper and nearly every major news station covered the event, and though they thought that our outward appearance was rather unusual, they generally treated us with respect. Everyone associated with the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, the Westin Hotel, the Omni William Penn, and the Pittsburgh Convention and Visitor’s Bureau went all-out to make us feel welcome and to make sure everything ran smoothly for us.

Planning for next year is already in the works. Mark your calendars for July 5-8, right back in the same spot.

They also claim that 2,500 people attended the Anthrocon. Damn!

For as creeped out as these people make me, they have GOT to all be scientologists. Only makes sense. And tell me this picture, taken in the Burgh, doesn’t make you want your mommy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

© 2006 Monoceros Media and AnthroCon, Inc.

1. Mark
    June 30, 2006 9:15 am

I don’t know much about fuzzies (for better or worse, fuzzy outreach efforts haven’t reached as far as me), but this is the kind of creative class convention that Pittsburgh needs. Here’s the bumpersticker. “Pittsburgh: the City with a Tail.”

2. pittgirl
    June 30, 2006 9:26 am

Or my choice: “Pittsburgh: The City with The Fuzzy Freaks”

3. paperback writer
    June 30, 2006 9:40 am

Hmm, I think someone should be sent undercover for next year’s event.

4. Anthony
    June 30, 2006 6:17 pm

I volunteer to go undercover next year. If anyone knows where I can get a Robin Williams or Ed Asner costume, please let me know.

5. John Morris
    July 1, 2006 9:03 am

Take that you boring burbs! We have furry friends.

6. Mark
    July 3, 2006 9:14 am

Actually, the more parallel construction (my intention being to remake Richard Caliguiri’s favorite slogan) to “Pittsburgh: The City with a Smile on Its Face” would be
    “Pittsburgh: The City with a Tail on Its Rear.”

7. Invasion Of The Furries
    February 3, 2007 6:08 pm

You sound jealous, like you thought we were having more fun than you.

And we probably were. -:)

8. adam
    April 14, 2007 7:01 pm

i wanted to let you know that not all furries dress like that, and get into costume. some of us just like anthropomorphic art like me.

and no we are not all scientologist i for one i am chatholic.

also last year i herd there was a record atending of 4000 people. get your facts strait.

and another thing i dont know how old you are but they have had this convention since 1997.

and if you think its weird. think of this the idea of mixing animals and humans have been around as long as the ancient egyptians, think about it horus, anubis, the sphinx, bast. all anthropomorphized depictions of gods.and there is the idea of transforming into a animal hybrid because of a curse, hell they even made movies about it, think about the werewolfs. you go to foot ball, baseball games, they have mascots its not strange there is it, also you grew up with scooby doo, and bugs bunny. it aint strange to see a walking talking rabbit, or a dog that talks.

also i dont think you should find this strange if youve ever been to disney world/land, or ate froot loops or frosted flakes, or even watched a cartoon you would see somthing that is anthropomorphisized.

the definition of anthropomorphic is

atributing human characteristics with that wich is other than human i.e. robots or as i said bug bunny.

think about it hell they even teach you how to draw this stuff in art class i am an artist i know

i hope you get it through you head, that these peaople are not all freeks, and they deserve as much repect as you would give yourself.

we are people just like you, we just have diferent interests.

9. surething
    April 12, 2008 7:20 pm

wow, adam. I’m not for or against Furries…to each their own.

But, dude, if you’re going to make a statement like that….you should learn how to spell…

Reallly, man. You can spell “anthropomorphic” but you can’t spell “Catholic,” “straight,” or “heard”.

pull that dictionary out and try again.