Playing it fast and loose with the word “winning”

The winner has been announced in the official PA Bumper Sticker contest (remember we talked about this?) and of course the “winner” is a bumper sticker that no one outside of PA is going to get and only about 1/3 of the people INSIDE of PA are going to get:  I BREAK FOR SHOO FLY PIE

You sure can pick ’em! The new Pennsylvania bumper sticker is truly a thing of beauty. Thanks are due to everyone who participated. We’ll soon be seeing this winning bumper sticker on the backs of cars all over the Commonwealth.

The point of said sticker by the way, it to encourage folks to take road trips to PA.  What I think it will do instead is send lots and lots of people to their computers to Google “Shoo Fly Pie.”

I can’t believe my suggestion “If you can read this, you haven’t yet hit the pothole the size of Rhode Island that is coming up right about … BAM! HAHA! You loser.” didn’t win.  My shot at fame and fortune … gone.
I also can’t believe that VisitPA thinks that this sticker is going to appear on “the backs of cars all over the Commonwealth.”  The only way this sticker is going to appear on the backs of cars all over the Commonwealth is if by doing so, we are entered into a contest to win free gasoline for life AND a date with Sonni Abatta or David Conrad (you pick) AND access to a potent but illegal spray that kills nearby pigeons with one little whiff.  THEN maybe you’ll see that sticker on my car.

1. Geis
    July 5, 2006 8:21 pm

You know, I’m was born and raised in Pennsylvania. My family settled here from Germany 270 years ago and lived in Pennsylvania Dutch country for five generations and I had to look the shoo fly pie reference up on Wiki. And I still don’t really get it.

It’s good to see my tax dollars working so hard for me.

2. sally
    July 6, 2006 7:38 am

I had no idea either so I googled it. Now I’m just grossed out: “The shoo-fly pie is a wet-bottom molasses pie that used to sit on the window sills and attract flies, hence the shoo-fly name. It has a gooey bottom, cake-like middle, and crumb topping.”

3. paperback writer
    July 6, 2006 8:33 am

People really didn’t vote for that…did they? Shoo fly pie…yum?

4. Kat
    July 6, 2006 11:29 am

Is it really supposed to say “break”? I don’t know that I’d fall into pieces for some nasty-ass goo pie. I probably wouldn’t even “brake” for it.

5. pittgirl
    July 6, 2006 11:34 am

This came up in a previous post Kat, and someone pointed out to me that perhaps they mean like take a coffee break with some good ole shoo-fly pie. Yes, WTF is correct.

6. Mia
    July 6, 2006 12:21 pm

The PG has the perfect picture to go along with your bumper sticker! Okay so it’s slightly smaller than Rhode Island and technically a sink hole not a pot hole….but it still fits perfectly! And while I’ll admit it probably wouldn’t encourage me to take that road trip – it would at least be a public service message to watch out for these things while on that road trip. I would find that far more useful than the obscure shoo-fly pie sticker. And for the record – I will be forced to hurt anyone who even jokingly suggests I put one of those bumper stickers on my car!