Halloween in July?

Have you seen this … this … freakish thing downtown?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Perched atop I think it is a subway entrance near the State Building.

Is it Halloween already?

It is part of that ridiculous Pittsburgh Roars initiative in which local foundations poured out hundreds of thousands of dollars into the Sprout Fund in part to place weird big giant inflatables all over the city and then had the idiocy to put advertisements on local buses that say “Pittsburgh Roars: Another reason for Cleveland to be jealous.” As if there are a bunch of guys sitting in Cleveland going, “Man, have you seen the giant weird inflatables popping up all over Pittsburgh? I am so jealous. We totally like need to move there. It’s where it’s at, dudes.”

And just up the block is this equally freaky, pale, scary as scientology thing.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

WTF is that?!? (wink)

1. Pete
    July 6, 2006 4:23 pm

Now see, i thought that was Ben’s first post-op picture.

2. jan
    July 7, 2006 12:33 am

and what’s the deal with the “I pooted.” billboard next to veteran’s bridge???

3. pittgirl
    July 7, 2006 8:48 am

Jan, are you for real? Must get photo.

4. Jen
    July 7, 2006 8:57 am

I looked up the “I pooted” and “Clowns hate tangelos” and “I’m a hot toe-picker” billboards that have appeared around town. They are part of a marketing campaign being done by Cartoon Network. Apparently, they are all lines from three new cartoons they either already began or will begin in the fall. It is still bizarre.

5. pittgirl
    July 7, 2006 9:16 am

That is rich. I’m now on the lookout. Also? “I pooted” sounds totally like something a three year old would shout with pride as he runs from the potty.

6. notayinzer
    July 7, 2006 12:22 pm

Please note that the scary monster was strategically located at the visitors center. “Welcome to our city…I mean ARRRGHHHH”. Nothin’ says “spend your vacation dollars here” like a giant monster wearing a cowboy shirt. I don’t get it.

7. pittgirl
    July 7, 2006 12:24 pm

Good point. And don’t feel bad … I don’t “get” most of the “art” they put up in this city.