Badasses on Segways

Whoa! Did you know that you can now take a Segway tour of the Burgh?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My thoughts:

1. I’m a little shocked that Pittsburgh of all places, with our insane terrain that doesn’t allow us to take two steps on flat land, is home of a Segway tour. How the hell do you motor those puppies up a hill and do they have brakes or do you just careen down the hill with prayers and pleadings in your head that you don’t get pulled under a bus as you shoot like a bat of out hell into the intersection?

2. I’m a little shocked a fully powered $5,000 Segway will only go 15 miles before it runs out of power. The hell?

3. I’m a little shocked that I’m dying to try one of these out … unless they force you to wear those stupid hats in the photo, then … no.

4. I’m a little shocked that no one has come up with the brilliant idea to combine this Segway tour with those hydrobikes … sort of a land/sea tour of Pittsburgh that can be called, “Tour Pittsburgh by Modes of Ridiculous Looking Transportation”. Wait! I just came up with that!

5. I’m a little shocked that they haven’t started advertising these tours with “See Pittsburgh by Segway … just another reason for Cleveland to be jealous!”

Awesome.

1. paperback writer
    July 21, 2006 12:59 pm

They look like they are on safari!

2. Lino Gunn
    July 21, 2006 1:24 pm

Parking enforcement in Oklahoma City uses them to get around. They look kind of Futurama like.

3. Barrister Jubril
    July 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Will the Downtown Safety Ambassadors be getting them?

4. pittgirl
    July 21, 2006 2:11 pm

I would say the Downtown Safety Ambassadors should stick to walking … as they seem to need all the exercise they can get.

5. miXi
    July 21, 2006 2:31 pm

The hats are key, I think. What is otherwise a tour of Pittsburgh on a ridiculous-looking mode of transportation suddenly becomes very debliberatlely ridiculous!

6. Awesome Comet
    July 21, 2006 3:22 pm

My understanding of the Segway is that it navigates by imperceptable leaning. It was once explained to me that you just “think about where you’d like to go” and you’ll starting moving there. Which makes me pretty scared to get on one, because I don’t want to find myself hurtling down toward “Bliss” on 9th St. in the middle of the freakin’ morning.

7. pittgirl
    July 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Hah!

8. Barrister Jubril
    July 21, 2006 7:38 pm

“My understanding of the Segway is that it navigates by imperceptable leaning.”

9. paperback writer
    July 24, 2006 8:48 am

“This is how I navigate after a night of drinking. Except the leaning is more percepible and accompanied by staggering.”

Ha ha ha!