Ewww. You suck.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So I’m sitting on my freezing cold bus this morning (seriously. We could see our breath almost.) when I decided to began my usual morning cover-to-cover read of the PG*.

I spent a bit of my ride shivering while I read this article about a funeral for a young dude that was killed during his second tour of duty in Iraq. Seems like he was a pretty cool dude who loved being in the military. Death sucks and as someone that plans to live forever, it touched me.

My point is that the article mentioned that there were some protesters attending the funeral. You’ve heard about these people that show up at military funerals to make total and complete asses of themselves right? Me too. What I did not know was what they were actually protesting. I assumed it was the war. Boy was I wrong:

By the end of the Mass at St. Mary, a small group of sign-waving protesters from Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., had departed. They showed up beforehand, as they have at military funerals across the country, to denounce U.S. government tolerance of homosexuality.

What the effityeffeffeff?!? Feel however you want about homosexuality because this is a free country and you are free to do so, but bringing your issues to funerals where people are mourning?

You people at Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas really couldn’t suck any more if you swallowed an Oreck and turned it on full power. Protesting homosexuality at military funerals? That is scary shit. In fact, if someone gave me a choice of attending the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas or the Greater Pittsburgh Church of scientology, or death, you would find me that very week sitting in the front row of the scientology center writing a check for my life savings, hooking my own ass up to the e-meter all the while dedicating my life to Xenu and Tom Cruise.

*A note: I do NOT read the PG over the Trib for any reason other than they gave me the a good deal on seven day delivery. It has nothing to do with political bent and I am an intelligent enough girl to know when the news or headlines are being skewed. I simply read through and filter out the bias. So please don’t send me emails about how the PG is a leftist newspaper that is currently brainwashing me into believing that Rick Santorum is the devil. This footnote brought to you by Blog of a Good Time.

1. Woy
    August 4, 2006 9:19 am

I agree, PG, wholeheartedly.

By the way, I really think Julie has something there with the footnoting. It’s tremendous.

2. pittgirl
    August 4, 2006 9:21 am

Word. Julie’s a genius. A HOT genius. Yes, I’m straight. :D

3. paperback writer
    August 4, 2006 9:49 am

Those protesters really make me angry. Fine, protest all you want, just don’t do it at someone’s f’ing funeral!

Jackasses.

Where where the bikers to drive them away? I heard some bikers come and force the protesters out of earshot of the grieving people.

4. Rob
    August 4, 2006 10:18 am

When the Fred Phelps gang of protesters were only protesting at gay and lesbian funerals, few people cared.

Now that they protest at military funerals, everyone’s up in arms.

Their actions have always been heinous.

5. Pete
    August 4, 2006 10:53 am

Ultimate show of disrespect – i wonder if someone ran them down and said they thought the protestors were just mannequins the judge would let it slide…

6. pittgirl
    August 4, 2006 10:56 am

Hah!

7. PittDude
    August 4, 2006 3:08 pm

Yeah, Fred Phelps is a real piece of work. For a good chuckle, check out this video of him making a new friend:

8. Rob
    August 4, 2006 8:48 pm

Nah, my MD wants me to keep my BP under 120/80. Fred Phelps I don’t need to see.

9. parakeethome
    August 4, 2006 9:52 pm

There is a special place in Hell for protestors like this – even if you agree with their cause – protesting at a funeral like this is so inappropriate.

10. Z
    August 6, 2006 9:33 pm

Uh…Rick Santorum IS the devil Pittgirl…

11. pittgirl
    August 7, 2006 10:25 am

Yeah, I figured someone was going to chime in on that Rick Santorum IS the devil. :) Actually, the only reason I continue to give Ricky ANY benefit of the doubt on occasion is that he once totally helped me out with some international red tape. He’s on his way out anyway.

Also Z, your comments had been flagged as spam by my trust spam hunter, so I apologize they hadn’t shown up until recently when I finally took the time to flag them as safe. From now on they will post to the messages quickly.

12. Z
    August 8, 2006 7:40 am

G-d willing and the Creek don’t rise! Um…if they need someone to drive the bus to take him back to Sleezeburg, um, LEESBURG, I can make arrangements to have a day off…