Did she really just say that?

The PG has a big “expose” in the paper today about CCAC’s travel expenses for top executives being a bit out of control.

Nothing really earth shattering there, but God, I love this line:

Ms. Kaiser said CCAC does not pay for alcohol for its employees and discourages executives and trustees from expensing it, though she said exceptions can be made if it’s clearly to advance the college.

Heh!  HAHAH!  Do you think she slapped herself the second those words were out of her mouth?

Advance the college through liquor purchases?  Does that mean that Dr. Sutin would put this notation next to a $540 food and liquor bill:

“Entertaining prospective students, including doing body shots with hot co-eds in an effort to show them how cool and awesome CCAC is.”

Oh, Ms. Kaiser.  You made my day.

1. Matt
    August 9, 2006 10:46 am

That was a great article, just goes to show you what really goes on at these institutions when these high ups think no one will ever find out.

2. Anonymous
    August 9, 2006 12:55 pm

My only contact with Sutin has been through stories in the Post-Gazette. I’ve had a lot of experience with expense reports, academic and otherwise, and let me say the issues get tricky when you have to get signatures on expenses for the top level people. For one thing, the rules tend to say that the College/University president can make exceptions to policy for other people, so the temptation is not to question a president’s expenses. Most of what a school president does now anyway is fund raise, so there’s going to be alcohol involved.

That said, it sounds like Sutin is more in love with making decisions than in thinking things through. I have the most respect for top people who take the time to listen and make their decision’s while acknowledging other people’s issues. Of course you should document every expense, and follow the rules when making exceptions.

As for the Post-Gazette’s story, if I were the financial administrator, I would have taken the names off the copies of restaurant bills myself, saying only how many people were dining. It is appropriate for County Council and other funding/governing entities to see this information, but not for it to be splashed on the front page of a newspaper. If a county councilman wants to question expenses, let them take the heat for revealing names of people who do business or donate to CCAC.

At one point several years back I dealt with a limit of $50 person for business meals, amounts over requiring the signed approval of a senior administrator. A highly educated person told me that, when meeting faculty candidates, two or three bottles of wine along with a meal at Café Sam could easily put a meal over one hundred dollars a person. I guess that is part of the compensation a PhD or teaching MD gets not doing as their college roommate did and getting an MBA (and making twice or three times the salary of a well paid professor).

3. bigslacker
    August 9, 2006 2:52 pm

What makes me sorta sick in my stomach is that the money that is being thrown around by these intitutions of higher learning is either taxpayer funds or money that students beg, borrow & steal to pay for their education (and then spend the rest of their lives paying it back). To me, there is no defense for those kind of actions, a sort of Robin Hood in reverse. Steal from the poor to give to the rich!

I wonder how much of my college debt was used to pay for Robert Morris administrators to jet set around?

4. PR Man
    August 9, 2006 4:26 pm

Regardless of your stance on Sutin, who is a nice guy but just doesn’t get “it,” CCAC desperately, seriously, REALLY needs to fire everyone in their PR department and find someone that can keep a better lid on things and know what to say at the appropriate time…better yet, what NOT to say.

5. parakeethome
    August 10, 2006 8:12 am

Makes me sick to think that I will have two jobs to pay for my sons to go to school and to think that this is where the money goes, well, some of it anyway. Makes me want to get a job at the college – they tend to have more fun!

6. Lino Gunn
    August 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Heads up Mr PR MAN, you just don’t get it do you? You, Mr sycophant are part of the problem.