PNC Bank? Rocks.

Finally, FINALLY PNC Bank does something that does NOT make me want to take my massive amounts (cough) of cash elsewhere. Perturbed was I at the stupid $10 per year fee for branded cards. Perturbed was I at the news that PNC Bank was making shit loads of money at the expense of robbing its customers with ludicrous fees.

And then PNC Bank, my bank forever, goes and does this:

PNC Financial Services Group, hoping to increase its market share in key cities, intends to give customers free access to any ATM worldwide, rebating the fees charged by the banks that own the machines and a second set of fees charged by PNC for using someone else’s ATM.

Really? I mean … REALLY?!?! Are they shitting me? Is this a joke? So now when I need to use the Citizens Bank machine in my building, they are going to refund the fee AND not charge me for using another bank’s machine? I can even use those insane machines in the nation’s airports that charge a $3.50 fee?

Really?!

1. mattg
    August 23, 2006 10:10 am

Wow, really? I’ve been a PNC customer for over 10 years now, and I too have been perturbed from time to time at the outrageous fees. But I found sufficient workarounds for them, so I never bothered to switch.

If they are going to refund ATM fess, that’s just awesome… But I’ll believe it when I see it.

2. Beth
    August 23, 2006 10:18 am

American banks need to take a page from the book of British banks- almost every single ATM here is free to use (no ATM-owner fee and no fee from your bank if it’s different). I shall be a tad pissed when I get home for a few weeks in September and have to pay fees… But good for PNC!

3. kellygirl
    August 23, 2006 11:02 am

Personally I have had nothing but headaches dealing with PNC. Had a car loan with them (not by my choice) and made the payment early in the day the day after it was due (you get a grace period before being considered late) and had a nasty call from a rep from PNC inquiring where my payment was and why was I late. This happened monthly even with me calling and complaining until I got smart and I refinanced the loan with another bank and have never had a problem with my present bank – CITIZENS. Hey, they are open 7 days a week in the Giant Eagle stores. Could not be more convenient!!! Hope you have good luck with PNC.

4. Zsa
    August 23, 2006 11:18 am

Well after 20 years of buttraping us with their fees (OK I lied…maybe only 15) they have enough money in the coffers to be generous.

But like mattg, I will believe it when I see it.

5. paperback writer
    August 23, 2006 12:29 pm

Word. I’ll believe it when I see it.

6. Robert
    August 23, 2006 5:32 pm

I don’t mean be the bearer of bad news, but in order to receive a reimbursement of atm fees, you will need to maintain an average monthly balance of $2500.00

7. jack
    August 23, 2006 5:40 pm

Knew there would be a catch. Hey, can someone answer this for me .. Why is it that PNC has the money to give for naming rights for PNC Park but have to have taxpayer money to put up a new skyscraper in dahntahn? Why, there is a lot of empty office space dahn there with so many moving to the burbs. I, for one, would never use that bank. Give Citizens a try. And no, I do not work for them. I use them and like them.

8. Robert
    August 23, 2006 6:03 pm

I don’t have an answer to the naming rights vs. skyscaper issue, however your beloved Citizens Bank paid to have their name on Philadelphia’s new baseball park, and I’m sure that they either have in the past or will in the future build something that will be paid primarily by the taxpayers

9. jack
    August 23, 2006 6:51 pm

Hey, they probably are all the same, I know that. I just got tired of the bullshit with PNC and am happy for the moment with Citizens. Don’t get me wrong – if I experience the sall bullshit with Citizens, I’ll pull my millions out faster than you can say Dick Skrinjar is an asshole!

10. pnc employee
    August 25, 2006 7:48 pm

Actually not really. You have to have a minimum in your free checking of $2,500 to get the money orginally charged back at the end of the month.