Can we stop the world for just a sec, please?

Where to begin?

• Friday, I hear the news that the Mayor died. Sucks. Expected, but it still sucks.
  • Sunday brings word that Benny is now sidelined with appendicitis and is likely to miss the first two games. Great.
  • And then Monday, CRIKEY!, awesome hyperactive dude Steve Irwin gets his heart ripped into by a stingray of all things.

I don’t even know what to say to all of that. I’ve no great fitting words about the Mayor. As I’ve said before, I’ve met him several times, I liked him, and I think it bites that he died. I’m a little dumbfounded that it appears that Lukey will be Mayor until 2009.

As for Benny? I want to have faith in Charlie Batch, but I don’t have faith in Charlie Batch. This may be a game I have to watch through the comfort of the holes in an afghan.

Steve Irwin. WTF? I bet NO ONE had him next in their celebrity death pool at work.

1. Zsa
    September 5, 2006 10:57 am

I thought “being conceived when I was on my 20th crush” Luke was only in till 2007.

2. pittgirl
    September 5, 2006 11:05 am

The city lawyers have written a memo to Luke informing him that because the controller is up for election in 2007, and the controller and the mayor cannot be elected in the same year, he will hold office until 2009.

Expect a court fight on this one.

3. Mike
    September 5, 2006 12:30 pm

My guess is the election happens next year. The opinion by the City’s lawyers seems a bit shaky. I think most lawyers think that, if a Mayor dies in the first two years of their term, a special election happens in the mid-term year. It’s important for the process to go as it is prescribed in the Charter.

That said, I think it is a moot point. Luke will probably win. Though, if a Republican is ever going to be elected Mayor of Pittsburgh, it’ll happen in a special election.

I could see Jim Roddey or Mike Diven (please no) getting elected–especially if more than three viable Democrats run.

4. Jonathan Potts
    September 5, 2006 3:11 pm

Roddey no longer lives in the city.

5. Jonathan Potts
    September 5, 2006 3:12 pm

And Diven is now a Republican.

6. latchkey
    September 6, 2006 6:52 pm

OH PLEASE, ANYBODY BUT DIVEN!!!!