I thought marijuana was the wicked weed of hate?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You may or may not be aware that the county of Allegheny is considering passing a ban on smoking in workplaces, including bars and restaurants.

A meeting was recently held in which tempers (and I’ll bet nostrils) flared over this proposed ban.

At a public hearing last night in front of Allegheny County Council, Mr. Gehrmann, of Crafton, was one of a handful of people against the bill who also sought to dispel notions that second-hand smoke was harmful and that the legislation was infringing on smokers’ civil rights.

“This bill is a wicked weed of hate,” said a visibly angry Mr. Gehrmann. “Sixteen percent of the county smokes. Is 16 percent a magic number for discrimination?”

Can you just see his nostrils flaring when he spits out “wicked weed of hate”?

Also, REALLY? You may think my “REALLY?” is referring to his argument that second-hand smoke is not harmful (PittGirl’s personal opinion: If you aren’t completely comfortable with blowing two lungs full of smoke into the face of a cutie pie toddler or a pregnant woman, don’t tell me second hand smoke isn’t harmful. If you are completely comfortable with blowing two lungs full of smoke into the face of a cutie pie toddler or a pregnant woman … you suck.)

My “REALLY?” is referring to this supposed fact that 16% of the county smokes.

I find this hard to believe, because in my expert, professional opinion based on my completely legit and scientific observations of waiting bus riders, restaurant patrons, bar patrons, night club patrons, etc., I estimate that 60% of the ladies of the Burgh are smokers.

At least it seems so. In fact, I swear the women of the Burgh smoke WAY more than the men of the Burgh.

Except for PittGirl. I’m just smokin!

Hey, I’m not judging smokers. Smoke if you want, just maybe don’t blow it in my face and tell me it’s not harmful, that’s all. I don’t want to breathe in your smoke any more than I want to stand on the tippy edge of a steel mill smoke stack and inhale.

1. Tep
    September 7, 2006 2:48 pm

In addition to the obvious health advantages of a restaurant / bar smoking ban, is the luxury of coming home and not smelling like a lung cancer prospect.

2. Funky Dung
    September 7, 2006 4:16 pm

I anxiously await such a ban. BTW, I love the “no smoking” sign. ;)

3. latchkey
    September 7, 2006 10:15 pm

Can’t wait for the ban! Hey, just came back from NJ (Cape May) and there is no smoking in restaurants and it has not affected their business one iota!!!! Love it. I am a woman and I DO NOT smoke and never have – but go figure – I have COPD and the doctor tells me it could be a result from growing up in a smoking household – I want someone to tell me it has no second hand effect!

4. Pingback: Rasta Boys » Blog Archive » I thought marijuana was the wicked weed of hate?

5. Julie_Gong
    September 8, 2006 9:19 am

It is so wonderful coming out of a bar and not having to burn your clothes because of the smell. I can’t wait for the ban. When I was in Ireland someone told me their divorce rate went up because all the smokers had to go outside and they started meeting people they normally wouldn’t meet and started having affairs. So we might have that going for us…

6. Zsa
    September 8, 2006 10:52 am

I don’t think the ban will pass. And if it does pass, I think bar owners will pay the fines rather than enforce it.

What are they going to do – hire extra bouncers to be cigarette police? Paying the fines would be cheaper.

7. Pingback: Celeres Nexus Pro 2006-09-14 | Internet » Blog Archive » Celeres Nexus Pro 2006-09-14

8. Jon
    September 22, 2006 3:07 pm

I live in Boston. No extra bouncers for cigarette police are needed. Its sort of like trying to bring a 6 pack with you to a Puritan church…

These bans suck. Let the bar decide. That’s what New Hampshire is doing, so far 50% are non-smoking. Everybody is happy that way. Smokers have their bars, non-smokers have their own.