This gives PittGirl pause.

I tend to just kind of skim over the op-ed pieces in my newspaper, but when Lukey’s smiling face is looking at me from the middle of the article, I read it.

A pretty boring op-ed piece about some blah blah blah young government blah blah blah. However, this, well THIS is astounding:

In a town filled with institutions of higher learning, it’s striking that, with Mr. Ravenstahl’s elevation, Tonya Payne now is the only college graduate on City Council.

He’s like joking right? No way. Did you all know that?

I’m not saying if you don’t have a college degree, you suck and aren’t worthy of any success. Not at all. Lots of people are successful without a degree.

HOWEVER, you wouldn’t hire a high school graduate to run your Fortune 500 company, and yet we have assembled a big group of high school graduates to run the city. That is shocking. And a little bit scary.

What’s quite funny though is the way that these dudes walk around with their air of superiority and the perceived awesomeness of their massive brains to the point where they’re like, oh, don’t get too close you might get some of my plentiful and far superior brain matter on you. They appear on the news using their big words and talk about how they know what is best for the city, and yet, they aren’t that educated.

This totally explains two things:

1. Why Twanda Carlisle thought her $30,000 shittastic health study was a piece of scholastic genius.

2. The Horses of Gettysburg Day

1. Dave
    October 4, 2006 10:38 am

This is easily the most shocking thing I have learned today.

2. Tep
    October 4, 2006 11:28 am

It doesn’t shock me all that much. Pittsburgh is a blue collar city. Even with all the institutes of higher learning what is the retention rate of those grads?

3. Maria
    October 4, 2006 11:57 am

Don’t know if this will cheer you up a tiny bit, but I believe that most/all? of the rest of them have some college or an associate degree.

4. SeaBass
    October 4, 2006 12:01 pm

I’m petty sure the Peduto has a CMU or Penn State degree or is 3 credits short.

5. Maria
    October 4, 2006 12:54 pm

Yes, Peduto transferred to Penn State from CMU and is only a few credits shy of a degree.

6. bigslacker
    October 4, 2006 1:23 pm

so Peduto’s known to finish what he starts….

maybe I should run, I would fit right in.

7. PtBreeze
    October 4, 2006 1:36 pm

In a city that is in the top ten when it comes to those 24-35 who have a degree, it is a disgrace that council is so uneducated. Peduto being just a few credits shy is BS. And I don’t think Payne has a degree either.

8. cityworker
    October 4, 2006 2:27 pm

Peduto has a few more cars to sell before he gets his degree. I think in those commercials last year he said everything must go!!!! I just wish he would go away.

9. Awesome Comet
    October 4, 2006 2:51 pm

Damn, Pittgirl! Way to uncover a buried lede!

Clearly the situation deserves a Seinfeldian, “Not that there’s anything wrong with that!” And I don’t think there’s any inherent contradiction in priding ourselves on higher ed and electing the streetwise. I think it says more about the Pittsburgh aesthetic than anything else.

But wait … aren’t all politicians lawyers? And didn’t all lawyers graduate law school?

10. Zsa
    October 4, 2006 3:04 pm

PtBreeze:

“No degree” does not equal “uneducated.” And vice versa.

11. PtBreeze
    October 4, 2006 3:47 pm

Oh OK, Council’s brilliant.

12. YinzerBoy
    October 4, 2006 5:00 pm

Wow, you guys are finally stumbling on this? It was only all over the place after the last set of elections.

No, all politicians aren’t lawyers. Do your homework – even the President of the United States isn’t a lawyer.

Actually, cityworker could run for office. Apparently, the minimum qualifying credential is that you’ve filled a pothole once in your life.

And, no. Nobody has a degree. But, I’d take one semester of Carnegie Mellon over 20 at CCAC any day.

13. Barrister Jubril
    October 4, 2006 8:36 pm

“Damn, Pittgirl! Way to uncover a buried lede!”

Ahem. Shouldn’t that be “buried lead”?

14. Bill
    October 4, 2006 9:54 pm

Lede = The start of a piece of writing. It is spelled this way to prevent confusion with lead, the metal that was used extensively in hot-type days, and a term that refers to the spacing of lines in a printed text

15. latchkey
    October 5, 2006 9:30 am

Hey just because someone has a college degree doesn’t mean they are necessarily educated. Believe me, I have worked with doctors and lawyers over the last 20 years and most of them could not even speak the King’s English correctly or spell to save their life! I have a couple years at Duquesne back in the late 70s and Robert Morris in the 80s and sounded more professional than some of these professionals.

16. Lauren
    October 5, 2006 9:57 am

I wonder if it may also explain the proliferation of really, really nastyass looking eyewear?