There is a big black cloud of political fighting hanging over the City/County Building today, as a result of Lukey’s plan to name a former driver and bankrupt business owner (at least that’s what I’m told) Dennis Regan as the director of public safety.
- Doug Shields, NOT a Lukey ally, says the city code made that position irrelevant and “chided” the Lukey administration for not knowing the code.
- Commander Catherine McNeilly wrote an email to the mayor and the entire city council claiming that Dennis circumvented her attempts to discipline one Det. Francis Rende who called in sick 37 times over 4 years to work side jobs. Something Det. Rende admits to. Det. Rende is the brother of Marlene Cassidy, Regan’s live in love and Mayor O’Connor’s former secretary. Marlene’s son and daughter also were hired by the city. Marlene is the HBIC.
- Catherine McNeilly doesn’t much like those of the O’Connor administration because her husband, former police chief Robert McNeilly was fired by O’Connor when he became mayor, due to some past issues the two had when O’Connor was on city council.
- Then Peduto publicly denounces the appointment because Regan has no experience.
- Then Jim Motznik, who is an ally of Lukey’s and HATES Shields, claims that Shields is just trying to duck the vote.
And to all this, Lukey says:
“My number one priority is to make sure that politics stays out of the decision-making process,” the mayor said.
Oh, that was awesome. I needed a laugh like that. Good luck with that, Lukey.