David Highfield braves the elements

There has been snow flakes on and off since yesterday afternoon, and while a majority of the city is grumbling about the cold, I’m perfectly okay with turning up the thermostat, grabbing a chai and sitting in my big chair to watch Horatio Caine actually mutter the words “Burn, baby, burn” and not sound like a complete idiot doing it. Horatio Caine rules.

Yesterday, on KDKA’s 11:00 news, the first five minutes of the newscast were focused on the top story of the night: “Season’s First Snow!”

I’m not making this shit up when I tell you that in addition to David Highfield standing outside in the flurries and rubbing his gloved hand on a picnic table that had some snow on it … in addition to David Highfield standing by a salt truck and tapping on it … in addition to David Highfield interviewing Burghers at the grocery store … KDKA was also kind enough to inform us viewers to turn to KDKA this morning to get the first word on any school closings that might RESULT FROM THIS EXPECTED NON-ACCUMULATING FLURRY ACTIVITY.

Awesome. If you think I am making this shit up, lucky for me, KDKA went and posted the video here. Enjoy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This being the first news story, the second was of course an update on Big Ben.

THEN, the stories about you know, people dying in fires and mines and other such non-important news events.

1. L
    October 24, 2006 9:45 am

The tv reporting on the snow never fails to piss me off. I got into a bad accident a few years ago on an icy hill, and, understandably, am a bit gun-shy about driving on ice. If you believe the David Highfields of the world, every night from November 1 (well, late October this year) is the “OMGZZ slipperiest EVAR!!!11” and everyone is taking their life in their hands driving. That’s why I quit watching the local news in the winter; it’s nothing but fearmongering. And you’re right–there are much better things to report on than a light dusting.

2. Clarion
    October 24, 2006 10:03 am

Big Ben should have been on first. KDKA is dropping the ball (and we certainly don’t need any more of that)

3. cityworker
    October 24, 2006 10:10 am

duuuuuuude!!!! this was a great story. i watched it last night and just started laughing. he made a snowball and threw it!!!! it was awesome! highest comedy.

4. lynne
    October 24, 2006 10:11 am

Wow – sorry I missed horatio, i agree that he rules!

5. jl
    October 24, 2006 10:16 am

I moved to Pittsburgh six years ago from the eastern side of the state. We got roughly the same amount of snow/ice/yuckiness there as here; nor’easters in the east, lake effect in the west. And while I used to ignore any accumulation below six inches, I now start freaking out at the mere mention of snow. If it accumulates at all, forget it–I won’t drive anywhere. I totally blame the snow-reporting hysteria for this. The weather reports coming out of Philly were never that apocalyptic (although newscasts did feature way more dead bodies found in rivers).

6. theburgher
    October 24, 2006 10:26 am

Did someone say snow? Better get a reporter down to Wal Mart to see if people are stocking up on essentials like toilet paper, chipped ham and Big Ben beef jerky.

7. PittDude
    October 24, 2006 10:36 am

I can’t believe they didn’t ask Ben for HIS reaction to the snow.

Although, my favorite has to be the Patron Saint of Inclement Weather: Poor Dee Thompson who has to stand next to the parkway as salt trucks go by when it’s snowing at 3am.

8. Striker
    October 24, 2006 11:20 am

Don’t you just love weather people!! This is as good as it gets for them; Next will be the ‘Is it cold out here??” questions to people going to work…umm lets see: its Frikin snowing, so YEA it must be cold..

Too funny.

9. Christina
    October 24, 2006 5:23 pm

PittDude, I have wondered for years just what Dee Thompson did that was not bad enough to fire him for, but bad enough that they push him outside to shiver in every snowbank.

10. Lori
    October 24, 2006 6:22 pm

I live right on the edge of the “snow belt” in NW PA and I get the biggest kick out of watching the winter weather coverage in Pittsburgh. We don’t even begin to blink at the snow until it’s over 6 inches. It usually takes freezing rain or a foot of snow before they even consider closing school. Guess we’re made from a little hardier stock up here!

11. PittCheMBA
    October 24, 2006 7:09 pm

KDKA is the best or should I say worst at sensationalizing a story. If you did not watch closely, you would have thought the storm of the century was approaching us. Jeff Verszyla even corrected Ken Rice and said they are just sprinkles, no accumulation, chill out.

Horatio Caine, the original hands-on-hips poser, does rule!

12. PittDude
    October 25, 2006 9:32 am

Christina, I’ve wondered the same thing. You’ve gotta think the guy must have done SOMETHING to anger management. I hope his job at least pays well…