The Dogma Grill dudes are huge fat doofuses … doofi … ?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So that awesome little joint called Hot Dogma located in the Trinity Cathedral on Oliver has settled a 17-month lawsuit brought on by the Dogma Grill in Miami Beach.

Hot Dogma will formally change its name to The Franktuary and will hold a funeral for its former name in the near future.

The reason the Dogma Grill decided to sue was that it worried people would confuse the Dogma Grill in Miami Beach, Florida with Hot Dogma in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

That could TOTALLY happen, people. Picture it:

Random surfer dude to random lady friend: I thought you were going to meet me at Dogma for lunch yesterday. Where were you?

Random lady friend: Oh. My. God. Dude. I totally got confused and was waiting for you at Hot Dogma in Pittsburgh! Do you know they have free WiFi there?

Random surfer dude: Awesome.

But really, I think the local guys came out on top of this because 1. They look good while the losers in Miami look like assholes … which is because they ARE assholes and 2. I think The Franktuary is a KICKASS name. Love it!

1. Julie_Gong
    October 25, 2006 12:42 pm

I agree with the kickassedness of the name Franktuary and I love hot dogs. Just so you know.

2. Diogenes
    October 25, 2006 1:00 pm

Whatever its name, those folks at the ‘Burgh Dogma need to put their dogs together faster than 5 – 10 minutes. The guy at Yovi’s could whip together a Chicago Dog in under 30 seconds – no dog requires more time than that!

3. Lino Gunn
    October 25, 2006 2:55 pm

Two things:
    Should I EVER get to Miami Beach you can bet the farm I wil not get my dogs at Dogma Grill, complete jerks…

Diogenes, lighten up a little, the report I heard said our Dogma has just begun to turn a profit in the two years they’ve been at it, AND if you are in that much of a hurry stay at Yovi’s !

4. jl
    October 25, 2006 3:41 pm

I third the notion that Franktuary is pure brilliance. If the hot dog thing ever goes under, they could probably be very successful with a consulting agency that comes up with clever names for businesses.

5. Frank
    October 25, 2006 7:06 pm

Something very similar happened to this great, new, little now “BBQ place” on Brighton Road on the North Side.

This nice retired guy opens a business he worked on building for 3 years. Saving his money, fixing up an old house with store front. Finally – he gets to open his new store with the name “Finger Lickin’ Good Bar-b-que”.

A few months later, he gets a certified letter from KFC stating that he was using violating a trade mark.

KFC doesn’t even use the trade mark anymore.

This guy was forced to change his name (to Richard’s Smokehouse BBQ). WHich means changing menus, napkins, uniforms, the nicely painted front window, menu board, and even the side of his truck and trailer that he uses for catering.

The guy was living his dream and scraping by and then the KFC thing.

Rumor is that his competitors in the neighborhood turned him in to KFC, as they likely would never have heard of him otherwise.

If you like good BBQ and you’re in the ‘hood – he’s right across from Zone 1 on Brighton. Good stuff!

6. Pickle Sniffer
    October 27, 2006 4:42 pm

Hey Diogenes…maybe the reason that the guy at Yovi’s whipped up his hot dogs so fast was because he wasn’t taking the time pay his taxes!

7. Rebecca
    October 30, 2006 8:47 am

I thought the same thing when I read the story–Florida, Pittsburgh, confusing someone, what?! And I love the way the Pittsburgh guys didn’t waste too much time and money on fighting it but came up with another great new name. I didn’t notice that their hot dogs took any longer to put together than they should have but it’s a nice place to sit and wait, plus how long does it take to eat a hot dog (or two)?!