What I wouldn’t have given for a Troy Polamalu interception.

“I’m embarrassed about the way I played,” he said. “I’m letting the whole team down. It just seems like one guy makes mistakes and that’s me. … In my wildest dreams, I didn’t think I’d be playing this bad.”

Boy does THAT about sum up yesterday’s game.

Know what sucks even more than watching the Steelers lose to the Raiders? Watching the Steelers lose to the Raiders while in the company of a diehard, lifelong Raiders fan in the form of my brother-in-law and hear him saying things like, “People do NOT give the Raiders enough credit.  They have an incredible defense.” THAT sucks.

This game, was really all about Ben. Not that there weren’t other shiteous factors (hiya, running game and hiya, super long stupid penalties). But Ben SUCKED!

Hell even his own teammates were making fun of his ass:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My mother was calling for Charlie Batch after the first interception. Being the rational, calm person that I am, I waited until the third interception.

Ben was clearly going for some kind of record:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And I know that I can’t be alone in wondering what the hell Ben saw that stopped him from just running the six yards to the end zone and instead threw the ball to a triple covered Santonio Holmes (who I get the sneaking suspicion was ordered not to run after catching a punt, but to just catch the damn punt.) I mean, it seemed like a big guy like Ben could have just taken three big steps and fell into the end zone. It looked like he was going to … then I guess he got scared-ed or something. Sigh. Run, Ben! RUN!

All this leads us once again to the question of the season:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I don’t know what it was, but man, Ben better repent and get on God’s good side again soon, because I’ve had about enough of this.

1. Greg
    October 30, 2006 11:23 am

Is there something in the water that slowly turns QBs turn into idiots in the Burgh? Ben’s recent heroics, Tommy Maddox, Kordel Stewart, Neil O’Donnel, Cliff Stout, Mark Malone, I’m sure there’s more……..

I felt physically ill trying to watch that game yesterday.

2. Matt H
    October 30, 2006 12:45 pm

Cowher is too hard headed to put Batch in at any point yesterday.

He will either sink or swim with Ben.

3. Anzel
    October 30, 2006 1:44 pm

Well at least there were no celebration penalties. Oh wait. They never really made it into the end zone. So instead they decided to talk trash on defense to satisfy the “stupid penalty” quota.

Hey guys, you’re 2-5. How about we celebrate and talk trash after you win a few. Until then let’s focus on keep the ball off of the grass. Baby steps.

4. pittgirl
    October 30, 2006 1:52 pm

Word, Anzel. Word.

5. Steph
    October 30, 2006 2:06 pm

Please don’t diss Ben-he’s been through a lot. I see a mid-season rally coming up!!! He’s awesome, and he’ll be ok once he heals up!!!

6. Jeff
    October 30, 2006 2:14 pm

Rally? Did you say rally? Im not a pessimist but rather an optimist with experience. Ive been a Steeler fan for 25 years and I hate to say the proverbial fork is sticking out of their arses……… :-(

7. Roger
    October 30, 2006 2:25 pm

The worst kept secret is that Cowher is leaving the team after this season. I don’t think he really cares what happens this year, he’s already got his SuperBowl ring. Besides I think Cowher’s stubbornness has ruined the team because of the stupid personal decisions he’s made to show everyone (especially sports writers) that this is his team and he makes the decisions.

8. RYAN
    October 30, 2006 2:46 pm

As a huge lifelong steeler fan im trying to keep calm and keep hope for this season but I think the only thing calm and clear to say is: its over. Lets say the running game somehow looks even a shade of its old self, the defense can stop the pass for at least 2 consecutive games, we can actually return a punt or kick worth a shit, the team somehow remembers penalties and turnovers are not what you do when you wanna win, Coach Cowher actually starts to motivate his team, prepare for opponents or maybe even just start to give a shit we still would have no room for error. Going 8 and 1 down the stretch wouldnt even be good enough because 10 and 6 wont even get you in the playoffs in this years afc. We need to finish 9 and 0. And more importantly then everything I stated earlier, to go 9 and 0 we need our qb to be more like he was as a confiedent, tough rookie and less like a tommy maddox or kordell stewart fluke look a like. Sad to say….ITS OVER. And one more thing, can anyone tell me why Willie Parker is our starting running back. Are we serious, we need a big power back. Why did we not address that in the draft or offseason? Did we just think losing Bettis was ok and somehow he would replace himself? And finally, WHERE THE HELL IS DUCE STALEY?

9. Roger
    October 30, 2006 2:46 pm

Greg, I don’t think it’s anything in the water. You can trace Ben demise back to a stupid motorcycle accident. That showed Ben that he’s not invincible. Terry Bradshaw predicted this exact thing would happen.

10. curt
    October 30, 2006 3:02 pm

I have been a Steeler fan for life….but, Ben has stopped running, is happy to just to be alive and is unwilling to play like he used to. Coach Cowher does not want to coach any more and is done after this season, but why not quit now, he is unmotivated and thereore his team is unmotivated. Ca you tell me a time this year when you have seen his jaw sticking out or spitting mad? He doesnt care Steelers fans. He eeds to step down now.

11. The Shadow
    October 30, 2006 3:06 pm

Yesterdays game was lost by one individual, it was a team effort. It starts at the top with the coach and filters all the way down to the players.

They need to leave last year behind them and focus on what is ahead of them. Super Bowl teams need to realize that just because you went to the dance and won, doesn’t mean that you can sit back and live on easy street.

Guys it’s not about you, it’s about the loyal fans that have supported you through thick and thin.

Ben, you need to grow up and start acting like a man and being responsible for your actions. You knew and were told numerous times, wear a helmet, yet you want to say that you forgot. How many times have you gone out on the field without your helmet……NONE. You made yourself a target and now you want to complain that the Atlanta player had it in for you. Get a clue boy, every defensive player in the league has it in for you and every other quarterback in the league. To take a phrase from the Holy One Jack Lambert; “if you don’t want me to hit them, then put dresses on them”. Is that it Ben, you want to start wearing dresses? Ben, quit being a candy posterior and either learn to take the hit or put find a new line of work. I understand that Dior’ is looking for some models for his spring line of dresses.

Defense, you guys have to be the sorriest group of collective posterior orifices we have ever seen in this city short of Mayor Sophie.

The offense can only be as good as the quarterback. If he can’t get the ball to them, they can’t make the plays. I still believe that the ball was caught despite what the referee ruled. When will management get it through their thick head, that you need a running back that can gain yards, I’m sorry to say, but Willie did more sideline to sideline running that Franco.

I’ve been a Steeler Fan since 1955 and will always be one, but come on boys, this old ticker can’t take much more of your BS. I live in New Mexico and we have a large group of die hard fans, but yesterday fiasco is killing us. You “should” have won that game easily, instead you gave it away.

Bench Ben until he can understand what it means to be the leader of the team, put in Charlie, at least he puts out the effort.

12. CJ
    October 30, 2006 3:21 pm

All this pessimism. It ain’t over till the fat lady sings. Did I want to jump through the TV yesterday? Sure! Send telepathic messages for the team to get it together? Absolutely! Cringe and wince at every interception? You bet! But this is not the time to surrender! We must rally! I am more than a little alarmed, though, at the lack of animated gestures and general calmness from our coach. I would hate to think that he doesn’t care about this year, if indeed he is not returning for another season.

13. The Shadow
    October 30, 2006 3:51 pm

CJ, I haven’t given up, I’m just as frustrated as the rest, I just think that they need to pull their collective heads our of their posteriors.

14. LegalEagle
    October 30, 2006 4:26 pm

Hey Blitzburgh,

Look on the bright side you have your super bowl.
    There’s always next year. Those of us in Philly
    have to deal with getting manhandled by Jacksonville
    and most likely another lost season.

Legal Eagle

15. George
    October 30, 2006 4:32 pm

We don’t have the same quaterback as last year. Ben has gone through some emotional and pyschological setbacks that only a psychologist can help him overcome. Just looking at him on the field he is so tentative, not moving around, or running the ball when necessary. I think he is afraid of getting hurt seriously enough that his season is over, so he is playing it safe and trying to throw the ball where it doesn’t belong, leading to interceptions. Remember the Ben that used to scramble out of the pocket to the right, and then throw it clear across the field to the leftside to an open receiver.

16. David
    October 30, 2006 4:53 pm

To me, it’s clear that Big Ben needs several games to recover from an injury… and unfortunately that means two to three staight losses after each injury because it doesn’t seem he can recover on the bench or in practice. It takes real game experience.

Last year, he had a rough comeback against the Colts and Bengals right after his knee injury, but then lit up both those teams plus the Broncos on the way to the Superbowl.

The year before that, he had rough playoff games after being injured in the second-to-last game of the regular season.

This year he struggled coming back off a myriad of injuries, but finally looked to be his old self against the Chiefs and Falcons, before getting injured again.

I think it was right for Cowher to play him against the Raiders. If Batch had played, Roethlisberger would have just come out and stunk it up against the Broncos and Saints.

I also think there’s bigger problems at the running back and punt return positions.

Similar to the Patriots after their first (of three) superbowl wins, I think this will be a rough season, but we’ll be right back in hunt next year.

17. RYAN
    October 30, 2006 5:00 pm

David, i defintely hear you. We are mostly hurting with our running game. Ben has been terrible, but he still is better now than he was in his rookie year. Yes he throws int’s but he shouldnt be throwing the ball this much. Its always been simple to see if the steelers win or lose, just check the number of times ben drops back to pass. If its over 25, we lose, period. Our running game is not there, and willie parker is definitley not the answer. He would be a great change of pace back but this is the steelers. We need a running back to carry the load, not ben. We won with Tommy Maddox, Mike Tomczak and even Kordell Stewart…and why running game. The running makes the qb, recievers and d much improved. Where is our Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Amos Zeroue and our Jerome Bettis. Hell once again…WHERE THE HELL IS DUCE STALEY. LETS RUN THE BALL 35 TIMES A GAME AGAIN….WINS WILL FOLLOW.

18. yinzernation.com
    October 30, 2006 9:16 pm

Just in case anyone’s wondering, here’s Mel Kiper’s latest 2006 NFL draft rankings:

19. Lino Gunn
    October 31, 2006 9:52 am

Man, with paragraph after paragraph of how it SHOULD have been done its a wonder the ‘Burgh is not the center of the universe for NFL coaches and franchise players. I don’t see too many walk ons taking the field.

20. southsidetommy
    October 31, 2006 9:31 pm

Ben didn’t make the 6 yard run and through the pick in the end zone because he is scared. Scared of another concussion. Scared of his career ending.

Ryan…We won with Tommy Maddox, Mike Tomczak and even Kordell Stewart.

Won what? A few games? The only win that matters is the Super Bowl. Bradshaw won it, and so did Ben.

And people, please, stop with the ‘we’ and ‘us’. None of you put on the pads, strapped up the chin strap, and put on the black and gold jersey. And wearing the jersey you bought at the Sports Authority doesn’t count.

21. Pingback: The Burgh Blog » It finally happened.

22. anastasia cumingson
    November 17, 2008 4:17 pm

why are you so fucking fat you whore of a person