NOT PittGirl.

Some of you may have seen this article in the PG about anonymous bloggers, in which PittGirl and her curiously-named blog are discussed. I would just like to point out one thing:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That is NOT PittGirl.

Thank you.

1. Judge Rufus Peckham
    November 2, 2006 10:06 am

I was passenger in a car with a colleague yesterday and a young gentleman in the car in front of us was not paying attention at a light. My colleague tooted at him, and the young man became extremely upset and began gesturing and then tried to make us and the entire line of traffic behnid us miss the light. (We went through anyway.) I told my colleague to get close to him in a tunnel and I proceeded to take a picture of his license plate, with the flash on (picture came out well, too). He immediately began to speed up and swerve to avoid any further pictures, and once out of the tunnel he pulled off to the berm of the road to let us pass and we never saw him again. He was a real tough guy until I took his picture — I don’t know what he thought I was going to do with it– maybe he thought I was a cop.

The point is, yes, there is a “freedom” in being anonymous, but that’s not always good. And if any blogger should be afraid of “fallout” it’s The Carbolic Smoke Ball, and we’re not. Our names have been plastered in several papers.

With all that said, who are you?

2. cityworker
    November 2, 2006 10:12 am

with all that said, who are you? that is great. i would like to know too, only because i hate being on the outside all the time. the question that this leaves me though is that you have to blog at work, right? i mean if not i want your job!!!!! and way to be so secretive with the post gazette by sending them emails!!!!

3. Chris
    November 2, 2006 10:36 am

I give PG props…its a good way to get your site out to the masses…of course, so is posting on highly trafficked sites. ;-)

4. Judge Rufus Peckham
    November 2, 2006 10:42 am

Oh, well, forget it gang — she ain’t budging. I’ve tried in the past to trick her into revealing her identify, to no avail. She’s so good at what she does that I assumed she’s a journalist, but she insists she isn’t.

5. Anthony
    November 2, 2006 11:22 am

Judge,
    If I knew that was you in the car behind me yesterday, I would have been more courteous. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I pledge to pay better attention and be more considerate of other drivers from this day forward.

Sincerely,
    Wilford H. Bronstein M.D.
    135 Windwood Dr.
    Wexford, PA 15090
    (412)391-9500

Anthony

6. Judge Rufus Peckham
    November 2, 2006 11:39 am

Your genius makes up for your rude driving, Anthony. Great story at http://tunesmith-anthony.com/?p=542

7. Scott
    November 2, 2006 11:57 am

I was so desperate for articles that I posted family pics. Anonymity went right down the drain, there…

8. Chris
    November 2, 2006 1:18 pm

I’m curious why some people remain anonymous in their blogs. Besides the linked article, anyone that remains anonymous, what is the benefit? The ROI if you will…I mean, you can’t get a book deal – noone knows your name. How could you mass market it? If you’re not trying for a book deal, are you just satisfying an ego by “mine is bigger than yours” in terms of readership? Does your shrink just want you to express yourself more? :-) I’m somewhat kidding, but definitely interested in the motives behind the mask….

9. Ms. Caroline
    November 2, 2006 1:36 pm

When I want a book deal, I go to Half Price Books on McKnight Road. Can’t beat it – books at half price! Now that’s a deal!

10. Judge Rufus Peckham
    November 2, 2006 1:55 pm

Why remain anonymous? Controversial opinions sometimes prompt kooks to send hate mail. Some people don’t mind it; for others, blogging isn’t worth the aggravation of being personally attacked. For others, anonymity adds to the mystique — e.g., Pittgirl is a universal Pittsburgh figure, not a specific person. I have no problem with anonymity; in fact, it might ruin Pittgirl’s cachet if she announced who she is — nevertheless, I’m curious about her background.

11. Ms. Caroline
    November 2, 2006 2:06 pm

Kooks? On the Internet? C’mon Judge, say it ain’t so!

12. Chris
    November 2, 2006 2:08 pm

Caroline – There’s the reason you have Ms. in front of your name…..

Judge – I agree, I’m not saying PittGirl should come out. I also agree about politics – especially whistleblowers that could potentially lose their job, or make working conditions unbearable. What I meant in reference to book deals is that you can’t remain anonymous. With book tours being part of signing contracts, there goes the anonymity. But who knows. Maybe PittGirl is really some guy eating cheetos in front of his computer…perhaps this is really her: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/m4w/219931397.html

13. Woy
    November 2, 2006 2:34 pm

Chris – I can most certainly say that PittGirl is the farthest thing from a guy.

She may or may not like cheetos.

14. Ms. Monongahela
    November 2, 2006 3:00 pm

So what, exactly, are you saying about women who have *Ms.* “in front of their name?”

15. BNG
    November 2, 2006 3:00 pm

My only question is does the silhouette picture accurately portray the dimensions of PittGirl? And is she at least hotter than the vastly overrated Wonkette?

16. Ms. Caroline
    November 2, 2006 3:02 pm

Shame there isn’t an emoticon for “biting one’s tongue”…

17. Ms. Monongahela
    November 2, 2006 3:02 pm

The question goes out to Chris, BTW, if it wasn’t clear. :-)

18. BNG
    November 2, 2006 3:03 pm

err … Washingtonienne, I meant. Not Wonkette.

19. Chris
    November 2, 2006 3:08 pm

Haha god I hope she’s hotter than Washingtonienne. That girl was pretty busted to be getting that much play on “the Hill.”

And as for Ms. I was referring to the fact that she was single, and her excited descriptions of trips to Half Priced Books helped to explain her title…that’s all.

20. Ms. Monongahela
    November 2, 2006 3:14 pm

OK. Then, we’re cool, Chris. I can say that while Half Price Books excite me, free ones make me go wild. ;-)

As for PittGirl, just a thought to entertain(with all due reverence to you, PittGirl): Had any of you ever thought that maybe some bloggers — perhaps our own beloved PittGirl — prefer to remain anonymous because they may in fact be someone we already know, or are familiar with? Or maybe she’s not blogging for glory, but just for her own fun and amusement. Or both.

Anything is possible.

21. Ms. Caroline
    November 2, 2006 3:15 pm

Wait – according to Chris once a woman is married she loses her ability to enjoy a book? And a bargain?

22. Chris
    November 2, 2006 3:21 pm

Caroline – Yeah, that’s exactly what I was saying….They lose all will to live and/or frugality is completely thrown out the window…I was commenting on how excited you made it seem that you saved $1.24 on Martha Stewart’s 2003 Cooking with Crockpots….Let me tell ya, nothing turns me on more than a woman with tastes like that…I hope you can sense the sarcasm.

23. Ms. Monongahela
    November 2, 2006 3:24 pm

Caroline asks some valid questions, though. And a lot of married women use Ms. If only they (men) never started any of this “Miss” or “Mrs.” nonsense in the first place. The bottom line is, women, no matter what their marital status, can always enjoy a good book, a good bargain, and a good man. Or a bad one, if they like that better. :-)

24. Chris
    November 2, 2006 3:26 pm

Ms Mon – Cmon :-) Are you seriously going to blame this on men? Are we really going there? :-P

25. Ms. Monongahela
    November 2, 2006 3:38 pm

Chris, of course not. But I will think fondly of you the next time I see a solitary man gingerly fondling the tattered, mildewed pages of T.S. Eliot, sniffing the binding he has carefully butterflied on the open palms of his sweaty hands with a curious sense of satisfaction, as he pauses to reflect upon passages from “The Hollow Men” in Half Priced Books, with a longing so palpable that his pupils dilate ever larger with the consummation of each word.

;-)

26. Ms. Monongahela
    November 2, 2006 3:41 pm

Besides, no time to argue: I’m searching for a sleeping man in a recliner to cover “action” stories for my publication.

27. Chris
    November 2, 2006 3:53 pm

Hey as long as you’re thinkin of me ;-)

28. Chris
    November 2, 2006 4:03 pm

Hey Judge, maybe we can start own wiki of PittGirl… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=pittgirl&go=Go

Heh. Just a thought.

29. Awesome Comet
    November 2, 2006 4:05 pm

I think I figured out what’s going on here. First we should know that when you’re annonymous, you can be all things to all people. Not to mention *mysterious*, which is 3/5 of the way to *cool* in itself. But the way I think it plays out in this instance is that Pittgirl is MARRIED, and if we all knew this, the hip flirty geshtalt of her blog might evaporate, and along with it most of her audience. Or at least her best commenters.

30. Anthony
    November 2, 2006 4:39 pm

Married? Well that throws my theory that she’s a nun out of the water.

31. Judge Rufus Peckham
    November 2, 2006 4:44 pm

Chris, I wouldn’t know what we could write in Wikipedia about Pittgirl. I read Pittgirl everyday but never have any idea what’s going on here, much like my own blog. If you are suggesting we fabricate an entry, I am just the person to help with that. Note, however, that wikipedia has other problems nowadays: http://carbolicsmokeblog.blogspot.com/2006/02/wikipedia-volunteer-editors-confined.html

32. Scott
    November 2, 2006 7:04 pm

My favorite theory is that Pittgirl is really Sonni Abatta….

33. PittCheMBA
    November 2, 2006 7:55 pm

Anonymity is a blogger’s best friend. What you do outside of work is not your employer’s business, but in reality it is their business. A blogger’s opinions are the blogger’s opinion, but it may not reflect your employer’s opinions. A blogger may not post anything related to his/her job or company, but a blogger’s opinion can still reflect negatively on an employer. http://www.dooce.com is a good example of someone being fired for blogging. Sure we are all curious to know who the real person is behind PittGirl, but being anonymous is what makes her blog so successful. I am glad to see the Burgh Blog is getting more exposure out there in the non blogging world. Keep up the great work PittGirl !

34. pittgirl
    November 3, 2006 8:37 am

Ah, see now THIS is why I asked the author not to include me in the article. ;) I told her mentioning this blog in an article about anonymity is just going to make people more determined to find my identity.

Why I’m anonymous: I don’t maintain this blog for “glory” or “kudos”. Swear it. It is a great outlet for me and my writing. Plus, I can say what I want about who I want even if I know the person I’m writing about.

It is a great freedom.

35. Lino Gunn
    November 3, 2006 12:23 pm

BTW Pittgirl is way hotter than Sonni……….and as a footnote to the Pgirl herownself, don’t ever tell ’em, not ever !

36. Awesome Comet
    November 3, 2006 12:45 pm

True story: Yesterday I was walking around downtown hungry, and I remembered the new QDoba. So I walked down 6th and couldn’t find it, turned a few corners and couldn’t find it … so I thought I’d just call Pittgirl and ask. So I reached in to my pocket, took out my phone, OPENED IT … before realized that I have no earthly idea who Pittgirl is, let alone possess her phone number.

Bottom line, I’m taking a break from this page for a while.

37. Pickle Sniffer
    November 3, 2006 1:04 pm

Looks like PittGirl is good at hiding her Internet tracks — unless she is really a male from the North Hills. See for yourself:

I’m betting that PittGirl had a friend of hers register the domain name for her — and that this friend is sworn to secrecy.

I personally think it’s great that PittGirl is anonymous. It allows you to say whatever you want/think without worrying about repercussions. I agreed with Lino Gunn. Don’t reveal yourself!

38. pittgirl
    November 3, 2006 3:57 pm

Awesome Comet, that made me laugh.