Cow tipping is for sissies.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Is it ever the day before your birthday and you say to your friends, “You know what I’d like to do to celebrate the big day this year? I’d like to go out and kill some lambs, man.”

Yeah, I didn’t think so. Unless you said, “Totally, PittGirl.” in which case please don’t come here anymore.

Eight teenagers in Cambria County decided to steal two lambs and then slaughter them … just for fun!

Whee! Look at the blood! Yay for us.

One of the teens turned eighteen the day before the slaughter.

I can’t tell you how scared I am by people that get a thrill out of slaughtering innocent animals. Seems to me that it is just one little hoppity skip away from getting a thrill out of killing people.

Of course, my mother tells me that last month when she was visiting my sister, my four-year-old nephew, who is really a sweet and good little boy, was sitting silently next to her on the porch swing when he turned to her and said, “Grammy, sometimes I just want to kill a bird.”

God, let’s hope he’s talking about pigeons. Otherwise, I’m keeping my eye on that kid.

1. north sider
    November 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Yesterday was my birthday. Why didn’t I think of slaughtering a lamb? I really need to learn to have some fun!
    Now the stray cats in my neighborhood that use my front porch as a litter box, well the thought has crossed my mind.

2. ethan
    November 17, 2006 8:35 am

i can sort of relate. my b’day is coming up next week, and all I’M thinking of is the excitement of a special birthday bird (swallow – wink wink nudge nudge) and some fine pussycat.

but these youths of which you re-report? “”We made a mistake, and now we’re dealing with the consequences,” Mr. Sebulsky”. that’s just baa-aa-aad. a mistake is when you forget to deduct that atm withdrawal and bounce a check. a bigger mistake is when you spill a too-full cup of coffee on the new white carpet. there’s no mistaking their full intent was to maliciously kill something.

sounds like a break-down in parenting to me. sonni abatta should point a tv camera at their mommas and ask them to describe the pride they must feel for their children. at least the community rose to the occasion, and we should feel good about that.

3. Clive
    November 17, 2006 9:03 am

It’s the “for fun” that’s creepy. But, if they they just wanted very fresh kebabs, that’s a whole different kettle of fish (or lamb stew).

4. Matt H
    November 17, 2006 10:18 am

How about we slaughter them?!?

5. Zsa
    November 17, 2006 10:42 am

I can’t believe the PG is just now getting to this – it’s been in the Johnstown newspaper pretty much constantly. It’s just the latest (and sickest) in a series of messed up things going on in this school district.

6. Awesome Comet
    November 17, 2006 12:10 pm

Actually, if these kids believe deeply in Zeus, and were ritually slaughtering the lambs with a curved dagger in order to gain favour for the coming year, I can’t really fault them. But aside from that, yeah, they’re probably sickos.

7. Ed Heath
    November 17, 2006 12:32 pm

You know, an irony here is that “Fast Food Nation” is just opening today. If I remember right, Eric Schlosser talks about our separation from our food, how for the overwhelming majority of us it arrives fully packaged, not resembling any animal and without a clue as to what it really contains or what process it went through to change from cow/pig/fish into little squares. One suggestion he flirted with was that, if we care about these things, we go to a farms where animals are raised humanely and slaughter an animal ourselves. The point is we would gain a real idea of exactly how a part of life works. If you want all animals to be Disney anthropomorphized animals, then, by all means, be a vegetarian. Otherwise, maybe get in on what you are doing, because, if you opposed animals being force fed or penned for their short existence, you have to demand change. And it helps to get your hands dirty. Part of that whole thing of not asking someone to do things you aren’t willing to.

Not that this has anything to do with the sheep thing. Sorry.

8. jack
    November 17, 2006 2:01 pm

Yeah, let’s round these sick kids up and show them how it feels!

9. Aeran
    November 17, 2006 2:05 pm

one of the more overlooked aspects seems to be that apparently there’s nothing else to do in Cambria County but develop sadistic tendencies…

10. Clarion
    November 17, 2006 2:11 pm

lambs are fluffy and cute.

11. cranberrytwp
    November 17, 2006 2:59 pm

There isn’t anything else to do…having grown up right beside Cambria County! Then again, I’m not slaughtering anything now after getting the hick deer-hunting days out of my system.
    This has been a pretty big deal out that way for a little while.