You’ve been Ravenstahlized!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Anthony tipped me off that Bob Mayo, who I hope you can never look at the same again, did a report on the “Ravenstahlization” of the city.

He discusses the fact that Lukey’s face is everywhere now. Billboards, the branded 311 line, the branded Redd-up campaign, the website. All Lukey, all the time!

If you watch the video, I think you’ll find the most awesomest line by Lukey to be this:

“I don’t necessarily think there is a political benefit. It’s not being done for political purposes. It’s all business related. There’s not a link at all to the campaign. In fact, we don’t necessarily have the campaign under way yet.”

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lukey, Lukey, Lukey … you can’t put this one past PittGirl. I remember EVERYTHING, and I distinctly remember you saying this:

“I’m in full campaign mode,” Mr. Ravenstahl, 26, said as he shook hands Tuesday.

So beware Burghers. Lukey is in full campaign mode. I get the feeling that will involve walking up to people on the street, barking “MOVE FORWARD!”, grabbing their babies and kissing them, then slapping a sticker on them that says, “You’ve been Ravenstahlized!”

1. north sider
    November 17, 2006 11:49 am

Having had a huge crush on him way back in 8th grade, I kind of like seeing Lukey’s face plastered all over the city. Besides, other than David Caliguiri (who I agree is pretty hot) do you really want to see larger than life pictures of any of the other guys on billboards? Bill Peduto and Rich Fitzgerald are certainly not what I would consider eye candy. I know when voting actractiveness shouldn’t be a consideration, but it will be pretty cool to have at least two hot candidates.

2. Awesome Comet
    November 17, 2006 4:30 pm

Note to Luke: You look genuinely happy on those billboards, and on the cover of your magazines. Why, on television, do you always wear Serious Face, and use that voice you use when you call your teacher and say, “Hello, this is Luke’s dad, and he has my permission not to go to school today…” Show you enjoy your job! Take a lesson from Bob, or even from Tom … a peppy mayor is an in-control mayor!

3. Tina
    November 17, 2006 4:36 pm

I guess Lukey is hot in comparison with the men/boys he’s working for, I mean, who work for him. Regardless, there is a difference between a politician slapping his name on the side of a garbage can or street sweeper and plastering his head on a billboard. Both may be tacky, but the government owns the garbage can and doesn’t have to pay for rental space. Also, there are so many WORTHWHILE causes that could be advertised on those billboards. Everytime I see those billboards they remind me who NOT to vote for. My vote will go for the ugly guy (or, heaven forbid – gal! – another thing missing from the Lukey administration) with enough substance to refrain from putting his own needs (reelection) above those of the people he (or she!) represents.

4. Maria
    November 17, 2006 7:14 pm

north sider,

The point is that no other mayor has plastered their image all over the city’s billboards and website like Lukey has. You would not have to worry about seeing a new mayor’s face/name on everything because it’s hard to imagine anyone else reaching these heights of tackiness and crassness.

5. north sider
    November 17, 2006 10:15 pm

Maria,

I did get the point. I was not making any serious political statement. I was simply making an observation on the physical appearance of the possible mayoral candidates. Yes it was shallow and off the topic, but I was just making a silly comment as people often do on this blog.

I agree that all of the images of Luke are overkill and yes, even tacky. However, please remember that it was Bob O’Connor’s face on billboards throughout the city when the Redd Up campaign began. Although I didn’t frequent the website much when O’Connor was mayor, the couple of times I did, there were many pictures of him as well. I know that Luke’s image is out there much more and no I don’t think it’s appropriate to use as a campaign tactic. But this is politics. He’s not the first one to do it nor will he be the last.

6. theburgher
    November 18, 2006 2:31 pm

Northsider, I think that the story kind of details how Pittsburgh is out of the norm with the level of “ravenstahlization.” It is not a black and white issue, it is a matter of degree. To analogize one shot of Jager is fun, but 20 shots is disgusting.

And, safe to say, we have seen the branding go from “humorously transparently political” to “tacky as hell.” And just like 20 shots of Jager, I want to vomit.

7. malificent
    November 20, 2006 9:10 am

Does it occur to anyone that we, the taxpayers, are footing the bill for what amounts to campaign propaganda for Luke’s re-election?

His picture on billboards around the city, his glomming his name onto the new 311 line – why can’t it just be something mundane, like “The Mayor’s Hotline”?

I also read that the city will be mailing postcards to Pittsburghers about the 311 line. Wonder if they’ll have his photo & name on them too.

8. Matt H
    November 20, 2006 2:25 pm

It’s called the power of being the Mayor.

9. Ruby Vroom
    November 21, 2006 1:48 pm

For some reason I woke up this morning with the word “Ravenstahlized” in my head. Makes me wonder what in the hell I was dreaming about.