My crystal ball says … it is good.

This makes sense:

Just before adjourning its 2005-06 session last night, the state Legislature approved a major change to the slots law in Pennsylvania, allowing slot machine casinos to serve unlimited free drinks to gamblers from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m., seven days a week.

So sitting on your fat ass feeding a hungry machine coin after coin while you imbibe drink after free drink?

Only good can come from this.

Not only are we encouraging the pilfering of savings accounts, we’re encouraging the drunk pilfering of savings accounts.  I’m looking in my crystal ball and I’m seeing … lots of family disputes over Grammy’s incessant gambling and drinking problem.

1. Carrie
    November 22, 2006 10:54 am

I believe the casinos will be allowed to serve only free non-alcoholic beverages. Patrons will still have to pay for alochol drinks.

2. pittgirl
    November 22, 2006 10:58 am

Actually, if you read the article, you will see they are referring to alcoholic beverages.

3. ethan
    November 22, 2006 11:26 am

thank goodness there will be atm machines and credit card cash advances, too!

woo and some of those quarters designated for the slot machines will have to feed the parking meters that only go up to two hours, lest you win an appearance in parking ticket traffic court or a no-expense-paid trip to the allegheny county auto pound.

since i make the occasional investment in distressed and foreclosed properties, how’s that crystal ball vision look for me? high def damn good, eh?

4. Scott
    November 22, 2006 11:54 am

I only know a few simple drinks. And my personal bankrolls are pretty dry. This law will enable me to fix both of these problems:

1. I will order new and different drinks to expand my horizons, thus deriving an educational benefit, courtesy of our educationally-oriented governor.

2.y personal bankrolls being dry, I plan on cutting my expenses while simultaneously by going to drink for free and only pretending to gamble.

5. Scott
    November 22, 2006 11:57 am

2. I will cut my personal costs by drinking for free and only pretending to gamble.

It’s a very sound plan for my mental and financial health.

6. Pickle Sniffer
    November 23, 2006 4:07 pm

There’s nothing good about gambling — and history will look back on “Cheese Steak” Rendell — and will show that bringing it to Pennsylvania was a big mistake.

You can add gambling addiction, bankruptcy, divorces, and child abuse to the list of things that will “come from” gambling in our state.

And these free drinks? They’ll just take away from businesses in the area that have to charge for their drinks to stay in business.

Sorry PittGirl. My crystal ball says this is all a big mistake. Even Rob Rogers thinks so.

7. pittgirl
    November 23, 2006 10:55 pm

Um, Pickle Sniffer, I think you may have missed my sarcasm on this one?

8. Pickle Sniffer
    November 26, 2006 11:25 am

Sorry PittGirl. As you can see, I’m a bit sensitive about this issue. I can’t stand the fact that we’ve got casinos coming to our state (actually one is already here). The poor will just keep getting poorer.