What they’re really thinking: All Hope is Lost Edition

Watching this season of Steelers football slip quietly into the annals of “Embarrasing Shit that has Happened to the City of Pittsburgh,” the PittGirl family was the quietest it has ever been during a Steelers game, mostly because we weren’t watching football much.

The ladies gave up during halftime and gathered in the kitchen to drink wine, while the men stayed in the living room gazing up at the big TV hanging on the wall, verbally bashing the Steelers, but secretly thinking they still might eke out a win.

Yeah, right.

The only time a cheer, a clap, or a “yahoo” was heard was when Charlie Batch jogged onto the field with a look in his eye that he was ready to put his heart out there. The biggest boo was then heard when the resident expert lip reader (that would be PittGirl) let everyone know that while sitting on the bench with Charlie, Ben reassured Charlie that despite the vicious hit, “I’m fine. I’m fine. I feel good.”

Boo.

Poor Ben. He got thrown around like a horse in the mouth of Joey Porter’s dogs.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And Hines Ward wasn’t smiling much, and I’m pretty sure during the end of the game he was looking like he was going to cry.

Mr. I Shit Sunshine is sure constipated right now.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I don’t even feel sorry for the Steelers, nor am I mad at the hated Ravens. We played with no heart.

Troy’s hurt. Everybody is mad at everybody else on the team. We have no hope for this season. But never fear. Sunny happy PittGirl always looks on the bright side of things and finds some positivity in the worst of times: How ’bout that sunny warm weather this weekend?!?! Awesome!

1. SteelerLuv
    November 27, 2006 9:31 am

PittGirl, I always look forward to checking in with you on Monday after a game, but for once we are NOT on the same page! A little harsh on Ben, don’t ya think? He played a good game . . . for not having a friggin’ offensive line in front of him! WTF! Where the H were they? Nine sacks! Nine! My girlfriends and I would have provided Ben better protection from Lewis and Scott! (Yes, I agree, he’s managed to turn tingling HOT, but that’s besides the point.) He told the media the line “played well” and he was putting the blame on his own shoulders. God bless him, what a leader! If I was Ben I would have been bashing heads in the locker room! I think the caption you placed on a pic of Maddox laying on the ground a while back applies to Ben today! Of course, the defense didn’t look any better.

And,Ben, since we all know you read the BurghBlog, just a suggestion: I’d bag buying your line suits this year in favor of something more useful, like heart and cojones!

2. The Burgher
    November 27, 2006 10:46 am

We are, in fact, a bad football team. The team just looks tired.

3. pittgirl
    November 27, 2006 11:10 am

I agree with you wholeheartedly that Ben’s 46 passer rating has MUCHO to do with a missing offensive line. That said, I can’t help how my family reacts when Charlie gets to play. :)

I must be honest, I would have loved to see what the outcome of this game would have been had Charlie stayed in.

Where’s my damn crystal ball?

4. Rusty
    November 27, 2006 11:31 am

Ben needs to spend some time in Ohio to get his mojo back.

…and sell the friggin motorcycles.

Drive the Hummer Ben, drive the Hummer.

5. Ruby Vroom
    November 27, 2006 11:51 am

Ben has a Hummer? I thought he had an Escalade. Have I been stalking the wrong person?

6. Rusty
    November 27, 2006 2:08 pm

For a while Ben had a Hummer, gold and black. Haven’t seen it recently.

Also a BMW. And a black GMC with pimp wheels. Maybe he traded for the Caddy. After all, he is the unofficial emperor of Switzerland.

You’re probably stalking an accountant or lawyer.

7. Rusty
    November 27, 2006 6:54 pm

In the IRONY department:

I received my Christmas shopping e-mail from BigBen7.com today.

Do you know the Steelers sell official team panties?

Do you know how wildly overpriced Big Ben merchandise is?

Wow!

8. Incognito
    November 27, 2006 7:42 pm

PittGirl, Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I have to agree with SteelerLuv. You’re being damn harsh toward Ben.
    Would you like him to block as well as try to find a receiver and deliver the ball?
    What do you think Charlie Batch would have done the way the Oline played?
    The Steelers, as a team, quit yesterday. I completely agree with you that they had no heart. They had no desire.
    They were overwhelmed and confused on offense the Oline should be ashamed and embarrassed and the defense was terrible too. They put NO pressure on McNair.
    It was the worst I’ve ever seen the Steelers play. But it wasn’t just Ben.
    Now Hines is out against Tampa Bay after knee surgery so Ben has less to work with.

9. pittgirl
    November 27, 2006 8:09 pm

Wait. I’m confused. When was I harsh on Ben? I simply wrote what my family’s reaction was, not mine. As for me, I wrote “Poor Ben” and talk about him being thrown about like a rag doll. I think I have been WAY harsher on Benny in the past.

I’m not blaming Ben. I’m blaming the whole team for a lack of heart. Again, that said, I still would love to know what the outcome would have been with Charlie Batch in the game. Perhaps he would have immediately abandoned what he knew would be a crumbling pocket and thrown on the run instead. Just sayin.

10. Chase
    November 27, 2006 10:55 pm

Outcome if Charlie came in? Are you serious? You must not know much about football. No offensive line = not good QB play.

Doesn’t matter who the QB is. Stop blaming Ben and learn something about football.

This is the #1 problem with Steelers “fans”. They think they know more than they do. Which is usually very little.

11. Joey
    November 28, 2006 8:15 am

“This is the #1 problem with Steelers ‘fans.’ They think they know more than they do. Which is usually very little.”

12. spoon
    November 28, 2006 8:53 am

Never fear Yinzer nation, if you want drown the misery of the Steelers season come on down to the Mellon Arena and watch the only winning team in Pittsburgh :) Go Pens!

13. Diane K
    November 28, 2006 11:57 am

At least Pittsburgh fans don’t have to put up with an arrogant QB flipping them off after 4 losses in a row. I think Mike Vick needs to go away.

I think of it this way…I really didn’t think the Steelers would win this game. They didn’t get my hopes up, only to have them dashed. Thank God I don’t cheer for the Giants.

I don’t care that the Steelers stink. I love them.

14. Deanna
    November 28, 2006 12:57 pm

I don’t think Ben had much time to scramble…They were in his face all day…Remember 9 sacks!! Batch would have suffered the same fate.

And I agree with Diane, at least Ben has a little class and grace (I mean, hasn’t he taken responsibility for ever loss,whether it was in his control or not?)…I don’t even think Vick’s apology was sincere.

That’s it…Let’s hope they can do better against Tampa.

15. Awesome Comet
    November 28, 2006 3:51 pm

Quick question — how much has the personel of our offensive line changed since last year? The only ones I can name offhand are Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton, and I know they’re both present.

16. PittCheMBA
    November 28, 2006 7:12 pm

The Tampa Bay game should be interesting with Burgh native Bruce Gradkowski. The Steelers could not beat the lowly Raiders, barely beat the Browns, and were pummeled by the Ravens. Gradkowski may have a good day against the Steelers similar to when he played at Toledo and carved up Pitt like a Turkey on Thanksgiving.

17. Rick
    November 28, 2006 10:38 pm

Hampton and Smith play on defense, the only part of the team that has played well at all this season. The O-line is completely unchanged from last year (personnel wise). So much for the argument that a line has to play together for awhile in order to be any good. This line has played together for nearly two years. The left side and the center have played together for 3 or 4 years! Dress Marvel Smith in orange and use him as a PennDOT traffic barrel.

18. Chase
    November 29, 2006 5:01 pm

“Obviously, Chase, that statement includes you as well. While bad O-line play can definitely affect the level of QB play, a QB who might scramble around a bit more can evade the rush and has a better chance of completing a pass, at the very least, a check down pass to the short receiver.”

Did you watch the game? What Deanna said was right. He didn’t have time or room to “scramble”. He’s not a running back playing QB ala Michael Vick.

He’s a warrior though. He’s the Messiah too. Ben is the best thing to happen to the Steelers since I was born in 1985.

And the offensive line CLEARLY wasn’t prepared. They didn’t know which blitzers to pick up all game. That is the fault of 2 men: Bill Cowher and Russ Grimm.

But Ben after the game was his usual self “I can’t blame the O-Line, they played a good game.” He’s no Peyton or Kordell or Tommy Maddox. He takes full responsibility for every loss. Gotta love that.

19. Lino Gunn
    November 29, 2006 8:47 pm

Maybe all you football experts should just get a glass of warm milk and some Oreos and sit down and SHUT UP for awhile.
    It’s a football game for cryin’ out loud , not the end of the world.

20. Sarah
    November 30, 2006 12:22 am

You will be happy to know that Large Ben wrote a blog today. He informs you about what songs he likes and what he ate for Thanksgiving. The songs are interesting…I now know why the Steelers are having a horrible season. Their quarterback listens to John Legend.