If Don Cannon can do it …

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Rob Owen, the Wendy-hating (but I imagine Burgh Blog-loving) TV writer for the PG, in addition to dropping the word “verisimilitude” pointed out in his Tuned In Journal, this article in the Onion:

PITTSBURGH—Veteran anchorman Don Cannon accidentally revealed his annual salary on-air Wednesday following a KDKA-TV News At 6 segment on the increasing costs of attending a four-year college. “Gosh, it seems like people everywhere are trying to do more with less,” Cannon remarked to co-anchor Patrice King Brown, referring to a family interviewed in the report. “Take it from me, it’s no picnic sending three kids to school when you’re only making $220,500. And that’s before taxes.” After the broadcast, KDKA was inundated with résumés from unemployed Pittsburghers, all emphasizing the fact that they, too, possess faces and can read aloud.

Yeah, I have to agree. If Don Cannon can do it, ANYBODY can do it.

By the way, other than his infamous breakdown on live television, what do YOU know about Don Cannon?

1. cityworker
    November 28, 2006 9:46 am

i didn’t even know about the infamous breakdown on live tv. where is that at??? i guess i was too young! all i knew about him is that he was a drunk and i saw him eating a gelati at the ritas near my house.

2. Pickle Sniffer
    November 28, 2006 12:41 pm

Instead of calling Don a drunk, let’s acknowledge the fact that he has turned his life around and has returned to broadcasting after a dark point in his life.

3. notayinzer
    November 28, 2006 1:06 pm

Yes, Picklesniffer lets do that…and maybe if Kramer promises to get his life turned around he can do the weather.

4. Tony
    November 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Don is a terrific guy and someone I look up to for overcoming his problems.

5. Tony
    November 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Don is a terrific guy and someone I look up to for overcoming his problems.

6. Z
    November 28, 2006 3:04 pm

I missed the breakdown…I wish someone had it on YouTube…yes, I am a voyeur at heart. Remember those old “Kelly’s Dad” commercials TAE used to run on him?

7. Johnny
    November 28, 2006 3:40 pm

What is up with the exorbitant salaries of local media darlings? My sister lives across the street from John Klein. This neighborhood is full of doctors, CPA’s, Pittsburgh Penguins and the like. How does a hack DJ fit in there? The mind…it boggles.

8. Awesome Comet
    November 28, 2006 3:49 pm

Anyone who lets their six figure salary slip *to the nearest hundred dollars* is not “letting it slip.” I imagine he thinks he’s sticking it to someone.

9. pittgirl
    November 28, 2006 3:59 pm

All right, Johnny. Did you read the latest post or did we really both just write “The mind. It boggles.” at the same time?

Awesome, once one of my friends told a bunch of people at a New Year’s Party that her Christmas bonus was 1/4 of her salary and that her bonus this year was $20,000. When she realized no one was doing the math, she said, “That’s $80,000 a year.”

I wonder why she drives an Escort?

10. JJ
    November 28, 2006 4:10 pm

Heh, well John Klein was laid off recently for his big-ass salary. Ironic…

11. Puma
    November 28, 2006 4:27 pm

This only strengthens my desire to start my own Italian Van Halen coverband here in Pittsburgh, and call the group “Don Cannin”, using the guitar-blazin’ talents of WDVE’s Doug Cannin, (who coincidentally doesn’t make near that kinda money.) I

12. J-Lo
    November 28, 2006 4:41 pm

Awesome Comet — are you serious? Do you really think this happened? It’s the Onion for God’s sake! It’s a joke!

13. The Burgher
    November 28, 2006 4:42 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I’ve just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you’re doing and listen. Cannonball!

14. Awesome Comet
    November 28, 2006 7:03 pm

Hello, my name is Awesome, and I’m a skimmer.

15. PittCheMBA
    November 28, 2006 7:15 pm

How much does Sonni Abatta make?

16. cookie
    November 28, 2006 7:51 pm

Don did turn his life around. He used to jog around South Hills Village every day. Does he still do that? Is he still married to Ginger? How old are the kids he is putting or has put through college. Will he adopt me? These are just some of the things I want to know. And yes, most of the anchors make that much money. They make insane amounts of money. And, they get paid for the commercials they make as well. Larry Richert makes a bundle, a BIG bundle. Cigna, although retired, makes a nice chunk of change too. I am sending my kids to college to learn to read the news on TV!!!!

17. Pickle Sniffer
    November 28, 2006 7:55 pm

The funny thing is that most of you commenting actually think that’s a real news article on The Onion and are debating about the amount that he claims in it. Ha ha ha. This is priceless.

18. Pickle Sniffer
    November 28, 2006 7:57 pm

And notayinzer…you’ve got a lot of nerve comparing Don’s fight with alcoholism to a racist tirade that Michael Richards made. What point are you trying to make?

19. Ed Heath
    November 29, 2006 8:04 am

PittCheMBA – Not enough.

20. notayinzer
    November 29, 2006 8:07 am

Pickle Snobber – my point was that most regular people don’t get a second chance when they eff up big at their job…no need to get all huffy about it.

21. IAMGUMBYDAMNIT!
    July 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Did anyone see Don Cannon on the Saturday 7/28/07 6 PM newscast? He was clearly drunk on air – twitching, lurching forward, slurring his words,etc.

When the 7 PM newscast came on, Don was MIA. Stephanie Watson did the news solo. What a shame.

22. j james
    July 29, 2007 8:08 pm

i missed the don cannon 7/28 incident, but was told by my relatives that he was drunk and he wasnt on the air sunday night either, should be news breaking about his relapse this week

23. Bull Hurley
    July 29, 2007 8:23 pm

Yeah, I seen that. I couldnt stop laughing. lol.