And then the world ended …

I like to wake up with my world intact. I like to know that the lesbian barista at Starbucks will flirt with me as usual. I like to know that a pigeon will probably accost me and then immediately regret it when I taser its ass. I like to know that somewhere on Grant Street the words “move forward” are being uttered ad nauseam. I like to know that I’ll probably eat something I shouldn’t for lunch and will fall asleep on the bus on the way home and then will probably eat something healthy for dinner when I’m really craving something … anything with buffalo sauce.

What I DO NOT need is waking up to find out there is a new yellow Wiggle.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A new yellow Wiggle? How am I supposed to deal with this kind of shit?

The first commenter that asks, “PittGirl, what do you care about the Wiggles?” is going to get politely pointed here.

1. Uncle Crappy
    November 30, 2006 1:11 pm

Wait. These are the guys who have been keeping my nephews hypnotized for their entire lives? Can we maybe buy them some makeup? The yellow guy looks like a teenager who’s been forced to hang out with his creepy-looking uncles…

2. pittgirl
    November 30, 2006 1:21 pm

Yeah, if I looked at that Red Wiggle long enough: nightmares.

3. yinzernation.com
    November 30, 2006 1:34 pm

In the MSNBC coverage of this story, he was dubbed the “lead Wiggle”. For some reason, I found that to be very disturbing.

Long live Greg. Forever the lead Wiggle.

4. notayinzer
    November 30, 2006 1:42 pm

They look like the “where are they now” photo of Menudo…

5. Pickle Sniffer
    November 30, 2006 2:25 pm

PittGirl definitely doesn’t have any children or other little ones around. Those of us that are parents are going to have to try and explain what happened to Greg to our traumatized children. And yes, he was the “lead Wiggle” since he did most of the singing.

If you want to learn everything you can about The Wiggles, well here you go!

6. spoon
    November 30, 2006 3:28 pm

except for yellow the other 3 look like dirty old men. very rich dirty old men… who would ask me to mow their lawn… in December… without a shirt.

7. Lino Gunn
    November 30, 2006 4:00 pm

Hmmmmm, a group of grown men in various color shirts get together to entertain children, with a back up group of singers and dancers. Then this bunch of smile till your face hurts types tour the world and sell their franchise to non English speaking countries. Creepy. Makes me think of Buffalo Bob, Mr Greenjeans and that smiling slime ball with the Mousekeeters. That man/boy love group has some ( I won’t use that word) competition here.
    Be afraid, be very afraid.

8. jack
    November 30, 2006 4:09 pm

Hey I have a neighbor who is out of town/country quite a bit. He hires these young boys to cut his lawn, etc. while he is gone. The man (and I use that term lightly) next door likes to come outside while they are cutting the grass. But before he comes outside to give them a cool drink of kool aid with one cup to share between them and him, he oils his 50ish out of shape saggy ass torso up and wears his jeans shorts below the waist! I think he is a member of the Wiggles really.

9. apolitical
    November 30, 2006 4:29 pm

Whatever happened to the show must go on? Yellow Wiggle should be ashamed of himself. He should perform sitting in a chair if he’s prone to fainting!

10. apolitical
    November 30, 2006 4:34 pm

Better idea, since Blue Wiggle falls asleep often as part of The Act, perhaps he could just exchange jerseys with Yellow Wiggle and nobody would really know the difference.

11. cranberrytwp
    November 30, 2006 4:59 pm

apolitical…hahahahaha, love it.

Brilliant observation! The Blue Wiggle always falls asleep, so it would be the perfect switchero! Except waking him up may be a little more difficult.

12. JP
    December 1, 2006 12:14 am

hey the purple wiggle falls asleep. any six year old knows that. and its a bad year for six year old fans of off-beat aussies. first explain what happened to the crocodile hunter to them, now the yellow wiggle…

13. Zsa
    December 1, 2006 11:11 am

spoon, are you a guy or a girl?

Oh wait, I guess that really doesn’t matter, does it?

This just makes me all the more nostalgic for The Electric Company (who else caught the special the other night?).

14. pittgirl
    December 1, 2006 1:05 pm

I did, Zsa. It was awesome.

15. spoon
    December 1, 2006 4:26 pm

I was floored when I saw it was on. go Morgan Freeman!

btw Zsa, I’m a dude :)

16. Pickle Sniffer
    December 4, 2006 12:01 am

What special are you guys talking about?

17. pittgirl
    December 4, 2006 10:06 am

There was a special on PBS about The Electric Company that included interviews with cast members and also clips, etc. I don’t know when/if it will run again.

18. Zsa
    December 4, 2006 10:08 am

PSniffer (sorry, but I couldn’t resist):

Here is a blurb on it from another PBS station’s site. Apparently it was also on back in the spring.

It was an hour long and they could have easily done another 3 hours – there were SO many things they didn’t even touch on, like Spiderman and the Asian girl in the Short Circus w/ hair down to her butt, who I worshipped.

What was amazing is the fact that I hadn’t heard these songs in 30 or so years AND STILL KNEW EVERY WORD. It’s amazing what sinks into your brain at that age.

Joan Ganz Cooney said something to the effect of “yeah, maybe some of this stuff is over their head, but we believe they’ll get it eventually.” I think that attitude is pretty much gone nowadays – God forbid we do something a kid doesn’t understand on a kids’ show, it might damage their self esteem or something.