Really, Burghers. How excited can we be about the fact that we beat Tampa Bay? Unless we did it 140-3, I don’t think it’s anything for the Steelers to be freaking out about.
That said, it sure is nice to have a Monday where we’re not all pissed off about a loss.
1. So, how badly does Jon Gruden want Bill Cowher’s job when he vacates it come January?
So bad he tried to show he can be The Chin II.
Not a bad effort, but I think Melissa Hart would kick his ass at a chin-jutting contest.
2. I spent a lot of the game feeling badly for Bruce Gradkowski. Poor guy. He made it to the NFL, managed to get the starting QB position when God smote
Phil Chris Simms (Boy, Bill Toland was quick to point out my mistake. Thanks, Bill. Wink.), makes it home to play in front of his family and friends at Heinz Field, and he didn’t throw a single touchdown.
It’s okay Bruce. You’re still hot.
3. Benny tried to encourage Bruce after the game:
4. Everyone is saying the fact that Tampa kicked a meaningless field goal at the end of the game was a lousy move on Tampa’s part to stop the Steelers from having a shutout. What the hell?! If I’m Jon Gruden and my poor team is playing 3-8 ball and playing the Super Bowl Champs, like hell am I going to go to the locker room being shut out. I’m going to kick a damn field goal so that when all is said and done, we weren’t shut out and we can say, “Hey, at least it wasn’t a shutout.”
“I’m sure I’ll be criticized for that,” Gruden said. “I just wanted our quarterback to leave Pittsburgh with something. We left Pittsburgh with a field goal.”
Awesome. I love Jon Gruden. That is all.
4. Speaking of field goals. Jeff Reed, what the hell?! You can’t put a 32 yarder in the uprights but a 50 yarder, no problem? Not to mix my sports up but maybe you should work on your short game a bit?
5. Benny. Benny finally vacated the pocket and scrambled like he should have last week. Hallelujah.
All in all, it just wasn’t an exciting game. No Hines. No Troysus. I was more occupied with the giddy joy of the four new sweaters I got at Old Navy (yes, Old Navy) than I was with the game.
However, did ANYONE else out there catch that play in the beginning of the fourth quarter I think it was, when Willie Parker tried to block while Ben threw, and just got completely ran over and thrown back about five feet onto his ass? Yikes. Cracked my shit up it did.
Yes, Willie. You da man. You da little man who ran for 61 yards yesterday. Get on with your bad self.