Fighting for my right to party

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So much for keggers at the University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown.

The school plans to implement tough new rules to cut down on alcohol at parties. Students packed a meeting of the Student Senate yesterday to protest.

The most awesome thing in this awesome article? The student that said this in front of the media:

“What I want is an open, honest discussion. Let’s make a policy that’s going to work.”

… is only 20 years old.

Heh. Not that he has ever taken part in such underage imbibery mind you. He’s just very very very concerned that his of age classmates’ right to get shit-faced is not in any way limited.

He wants an open, honest discussion you see.

Question. Doesn’t a plea for open, honest discussion sound like something one would say about the war in Iraq or maybe gay marriage, and not so much a person’s right to a keg party?

1. Puma
    January 17, 2007 12:37 pm

As a former UPJ grad, any discussions (valid or not) made before the administration there oddly resemble the Delta House trial from “Animal House”. Except you aren’t guilty of anything, and they still don’t want you to speak. So from that side, I can kinda see the kid’s point…

“Respectfully submitted, this day, 17 January, 2007, by Douglas J. Neidermeyer”

2. the_suburbanite
    January 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Puma – agreed. As a UPJ grad myself, they don’t let you talk at all. It’ll be interesting to see all the DUI’s piling up from the students coming home from the G-man, nice $ maker for Richland.

3. Former Keggergoer
    January 17, 2007 1:32 pm

The young man just wants to avoid hauling his keg out into some field, golf course, woods or other out of the way place. In the summer, ok, but remember how very cold it can get!

4. brian
    January 17, 2007 1:50 pm

G-man. That brings back some memories from good ol UPJ. I forgot about that place. Yes, the DUI’s will be piling up as the campus cracks down on partying. Of course, they were trying to do that when I went there nearly 7 years ago. They must not have made too much progress in stopping the students from drinking. IT’s much too cold there to drink in the woods, and there really isn’t anything else to do in the area except party. Touring the rundown town of Johnstown gets old quick. Not much to see but Coney Island. There’s always the sorry excuse for a mall caled the Galleria to hang at.

5. Zsa
    January 17, 2007 2:25 pm

I’m sorry, but boo effing hoo. Everyone at the state schools (Slippery Rock, Clarion etc) has had to put up with going off campus to party for YEARS. Of course, that was official policy – everyone still drank in dorms and depending on how lax your RA was, you could still have a party in your room. All the Greek houses were off campus.

Go 2 feet down the road to whatever those off campus apartments are called. Fraternities & sororities, keep your “official” house for the campus and your nationals, and get a second off campus house or apartment to have parties at. Oh, and WALK places instead of driving. This isn’t rocket science.

6. ethan
    January 17, 2007 2:48 pm

how will anyone get laid without alcohol? i’d be concerned!

7. brian
    January 17, 2007 3:04 pm

Walking places at J-town is hard. No sidewalks or street lights. Even if there were, the nearest bar, house, apartment complex, pretty much anything is like at least a couple miles away.

8. Zsa
    January 17, 2007 3:16 pm

Aren’t there apartment complexes just down the street from the campus? Those aren’t part of the campus, are they?

9. brian
    January 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Those were considered campus housing even though they were technically off campus. They were run and maintained by the school. There were true off campus houses owned by private landlords down off of Scalp Ave., but that was quite the walk down that big hill. Anyway, most of my RA’s were pretty mellow. I never had many problems drinking in the dorms. I never ran into much trouble drinking at the frats either. Campus police usually turned a blind eye until there was a fight or something like that.

10. the_suburbanite
    January 17, 2007 4:04 pm

There were never any real issues, I agree brian. Did something happen (a death) or anything to make them try to clamp down? I didn’t see anything. People could always stumble downhill to the Meadows…coming back up would be a bear.

11. PittinDC
    January 17, 2007 4:31 pm

My brother goes to UPJ now, and he said nothing happened to prompt this.. not a death or anything like that… they are just going super crazy about the alcohol up there. While it sounds like things have been lax for all of you while you were there, RAs have been ridiculously harsh in his 4 years at UPJ, and they have really cracked down on partying. Even having more than a certain number of people in a room can get you in trouble. I believe he and his friends had 10 or 15 people in their room watching a basketball game or something, no alcohol, and they still got written up and had to go to those classes they make you go to when you get written up. So things haven’t been so easy for kids up at UPJ.

Now, I went to UMD, where people have died due to alcohol related incidents, and they haven’t even curbed the partying that much. My guess is that the old people in Johnstown are just getting cranky.

12. Pingback: University Update

13. upj1995
    January 18, 2007 3:30 pm

Zsa, pleae know what the hell you are talking about before writing anything

14. Zsa
    January 19, 2007 11:09 am

To the previous poster: I DO know what I’m talking about, as I went to one of those state schools, and we regularly had to walk a mile to parties. Along main roads. So I’m just saying, other people have had to do this before and lived and partied and all. It isn’t the end of the world. The fact that you can even register to have parties on campus AT ALL gives you a huge advantage over a lot of schools in the area.

Another UPJ alum corrected me on the housing question, and that’s fine – and he managed to do it without being a prick about it.

15. VASteve
    January 20, 2007 1:37 pm

“OK, mr.20-year old….honestly…? It is illegal for you topossess alcohol sooooo….shut your pie hole and get back to studying!

January 20, 2007 8:27 pm

Puma, how can you be s former UPJ grad? Did they rescind your diploma? :-) Somebody should persuade the marvelous Johnstown Brewing Co. to run a shuttle service.

17. upj1995
    January 22, 2007 9:22 am

Prick??? lol…good one. You came across sounding like an idiot regarding the UPJ campus obviously not knowing much about it. Re-read some of your comments above, boo-fing hoo? Who sounded like the prick? Nobody cares what you had to do or how you had to go about it, this is about UPJ.

18. Zsa
    January 22, 2007 10:11 am

Yes, it is a good one, since you ARE being a prick. You seem to be taking this abnormally hard for someone who graduated almost 12 years ago (at least that’s what I assume your username means) – will this cut down on your partying there or something?

19. upj1995
    January 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Yes, it was so good I almost cried. If you knew how to read, it isn’t just about going elsewhere to drink. It is about the ridiculous set of rules they are using for the on campus drinking. Yes, I did graduate 12 years ago, at least you didn’t fail math. I’m not taking anything “abnormally hard”, I’m just commenting how retarded your prior comments were considering you didn’t know jack shit about the campus and so on.

20. Zsa
    January 22, 2007 2:52 pm

I agree that the rules are ridiculous, but NOTHING compared to how ridiculous the rules are at some other schools. Go to California or IUP and it doesn’t matter if you’re 25 – you cannot drink on campus AT ALL. Never. Period. I’ve said this multiple times, I hope you get it eventually.

And FYI, I took several classes at UPJ between my senior year of HS and my freshman year of college, so yes, I DO know jack shit about the school.

21. upj1995
    January 22, 2007 3:26 pm

Once again for the impaired, we are talking about UPJ. And I just checked with a relative that goes to Cal U and said otherwise about the drinking. I would bet that the same goes with IUP.

If you knew anything about the UPJ campus, you would know you can’t walk anywhere safely.

What classes did you take at UPJ? Grocery Bagging 101? Introduction to Jackassness?

My guess is you got the rest of your degree from an ad at the back of a matchbook.

22. Zsa
    January 22, 2007 4:56 pm

Being allowed to drink on campus isn’t the same as being able to drink on campus.

23. James Reneau
    July 6, 2008 7:50 am

There was a student Troy Bodenschatz who was stopped by the campus police for a DUI and got off scott free. I suppose the reason is that his mother is employed at the university. Complete and utter bullshit. They should have kicked his ass out, and had charges pressed against him. A true terrible injustice.

24. ламинат