Holy crap. Russ Grimm’s head is going to explode.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Keeping with their history of hiring thirty-somethings, the Rooney’s chose 34-year-old Mike Tomlin as their head coach today, despite what my little lying ass birdie told me previously.

However, my little birdie did say that the Steelers weren’t hiring Grimm because they wanted a complete overhaul of Steelers football. Looks like they’ll get that with Tomlin.

I’m actually very very pleased with this choice. He’s young. He’s likable. He’s got some personality according to this video! I’m very pleased with the white boy Rooney’s for not just interviewing a black candidate due to the NFL Rooney Rule, but then actually going ahead and choosing the guy.

Well played, Rooneys. Well played.

I’m totally psyched for next season.

Poor Russ Grimm. I guess that six hour interview must have been full of questions like, “If we don’t hire you, you won’t kill yourself will you?”

1. Bob
    January 22, 2007 9:17 am

I’m betting that the following question was asked during Grimm’s interview: “Would it have killed you to wear a coat and tie instead of sweat pants and a sweatshirt when you came in to be interviewed?”

2. Bram
    January 22, 2007 11:01 am

All weekend: Tomlin or Grimm? Tomlin or Grimm?

This just goes to show that the main-stream media is a dangerous place, where anyone can say anything and rumors swirl out of control, totally unlike the high editing standards of the blogosphere.

3. Heidi
    January 22, 2007 11:45 am

Does anyone else think he looks like Bernie Mac?

4. dressagelady
    January 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Someone listens to Tim Benz in the morning. ^^

5. Heidi
    January 22, 2007 12:24 pm

Who is Tim Benz? Don’t listen to him, but I am assuming from your post that he thinks Tomlin looks like Bernie Mac, too. I’m glad someone else saw it. It’s uncanny.

6. dressagelady
    January 22, 2007 12:32 pm

He’s a DJ on the X Morning Show. I listen to it driving into work during the week. He kept going on about how he looked like Bernie Mac and Omar Epps. I can definitely see a strong resemblence of all 3 guys to each other, perhaps a seperated set of triplets?? ha

7. sallypierre
    January 22, 2007 2:50 pm

he looks like the angry black guy on house.

8. Tep
    January 22, 2007 3:15 pm

He looks like the former defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings.

Oh.

9. the_suburbanite
    January 22, 2007 3:44 pm

Looks like a winner to me…

There’s got to be a reason Grimm wasn’t hired by the Steelers or any of the teams he’s interviewed with for that matter. Somethin’ is up with him.

10. mimi
    January 23, 2007 1:23 pm

I know I am not the only person who is sick to death of this. God, is there nothing else important out there?

Grimm would have been a great pick for the Steelers as Coach but the Steelers have to be PC and went with Tomlin. Grimm will not be unemployed for long though as he has a lot to offer and will most likely go with the Cardinals. The Whiz will take care of him.

Can we move on now?

11. ethan
    January 23, 2007 1:49 pm

Are you suggesting there are more important things to talk about than the Steelers? How Pittsburgh Are You, Mimi, and what are you doing here?

You want to talk about Glen Meakem and his personal contemplations about politics?

12. parking chair
    January 23, 2007 2:17 pm

what’s with all this “the Rooneys hired him to be PC” crap? The Rooneys hired him because they felt he gave them the best long term opporutnity to win chamipnships, and therefore keep making money. This is the family business, not a hobby like it is for some owners.

The statement that being PC was the only reason to hire Tomlin is patronizing at best, racist at worst.

13. Fan
    January 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Right on, Parking Chair. Tomlin is being described by the sports-talk radio pundits as bright and articulate (more so than some of the other candidates). He was hired because the Rooneys believe they will make more money with him leading. Only time will tell but I think he was a good choice. Will be interesting to watch.

14. chris
    January 23, 2007 3:55 pm

To be quite honest the more I read about Tomlin the more excited I get for next season.

15. ed
    January 23, 2007 4:38 pm

I have no problem with tomlin. I trust in the Rooneys to make the best decision for our team. Who am I to second guess them now? The one thing that I find very interesting is how ‘everyone’ who meets him is always “dazzled” or “amazed” by him, saying he has a “presence”. I’m almost think he’s the Anti-christ or maybe even The Shadow! I don’t really care as long as we win. WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!

16. Pinto Alegre
    January 23, 2007 8:49 pm

What is with this “pc” crap? Do you honestly think that Mike Tomlin was picked because he was black? Where in the heck do you get your evidence for this? Yes, Dan Rooney pushed for the “Rooney” rule to ensure that minorities are interviewed — but that didn’t mean that we had to hire a minority as a result of that.

This isn’t the first place that I’ve heard this comment regarding “political correctness”. I can only guess that Indy and Chicago were probably accused of this “pc bullsh*t” too when they hired two black coaches. Hmmmm, I’m wondering if their race had anything to do with their excellent coaching skills. No, that’s right — they made it to the Super Bowl with talent, not race.

Have you ever thought about why Cowher didn’t endorse Whisenhunt of Grimm? He’s worked with them for years. Clearly there’s a reason why he didn’t think they would be good head coaches. Whisenhunt got the job in AZ, but interestingly enough, Grimm hasn’t been offered anything — and I doubt that any team was waiting for the Steelers to decide. Arizona showed that they didn’t care about Whisenhunt’s candidacy with the Steelers when they offered him a job — and I don’t think any of the teams (especially Miami) could’ve cared less if Grimm was in the running for the Steelers or not.

I appreciate the service that Grimm has given to the Steelers, but multiple teams didn’t think he was head coaching material — and neither did the Steelers in the end. I wish him good luck in his future as well. Maybe he’ll work somewhere else for a little and then be considered again in the future.

17. Tom
    January 24, 2007 8:20 am

Steelers Nation is lucky to have the Rooneys as owners. I’m a loyal Steelers fan, in exile in Atlanta, and I am force fed the Arthur Blank mantra in the papers here. Blank is a baby owner, learning his way. Maybe some day, he’ll be a good owner, like the Rooneys, but he’s making rookie mistakes: Blank made Mike Vick the highest paid pro football player, Blank passed on Lovie Smith for Jim Mora as head coach 3 years ago, and then this year Blank passed on Ken Wisenhut to make Bobby Petrino head coach. These are the hallmarks of an owner who does not get it. Makes me appreciate the Rooneys even more, if that’s possible. I may build a shrine to them in my front yard. I really like this Mike Tomlin hire. He’s going to light a fire under a team that had NO fire at all last year. Tomlin has two very big challenges: get the defense working hard again and fixing whatever was wrong with Big Ben last year.

18. GenieBottle
    January 24, 2007 9:13 am

Good grief. Don’t take “mimi” so seriously. He or she is entitled to their opinion as the rest of us. Let’s hope that Tomlin is going to do something with this team, better than this year.
    Update: Grimm was hired by the Cardinals as of this writing. We should all wish the best for him as I am sure he wishes the best for our city and team.

19. parking chair
    January 24, 2007 11:39 am

just out of curiosity, and because i suspected as much,

i checked, yes, and someone has ALREADY purchased the following url:

“firemiketomlin.com”

Such optimists, we are!

20. ed
    January 24, 2007 5:00 pm

it was probably chan gailey :)

21. Bruce Flach
    January 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Hey Pinto Bean

How many times and on how many pages do you have to post the very same blog? Sounds like YOU are the racsist Anyone not subscribing to your opinon is labled or is called a racist simply because they disagree with you. You’re just a hater. How do you feel to be labled? If you want to go ahead and hate, don’t hate the player, hate the game. And don’t hate just because someone diagrees with you. In America we have freedom of speech – the RIGHT to disagree.

Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, and Herm Edwards are not BLACK coaches. They are Very Good FOOTBALL coaches who just HAPPEN to be black. By the way, we WISH we had Tony Dungy. The Rooneys Screwed him over too and he is still very hurt to this day. The Rooneys had to follow their own rule or be branded as hippocrits. This is not about race, it is about a stupid (Rooney) rule. Preferances are just a different form of dicrmination. Universty of Michgan had to get rid of their “Rooney Rule” concerning addmissions because it was found to be un-constutional. Flush out your head gear man. I’m sorry you are such miserable person.

22. Pinto Alegre
    January 24, 2007 11:25 pm

I’m the furthest thing from a racist that you’ll find. And I’m not miserable. I actually feel sorry for you Bruce.

23. Mick
    January 24, 2007 11:29 pm

I guess I am on. Please excuse my last test comment.

One question. Does anyone out there remember another long ago great coach who went to William and Mary named Carl Ashman?

24. Odd Man Out
    January 25, 2007 1:00 am

Bob Smizak wrote an interesting article it the Post Gazette today, in which he contends that the Rooney’s were not happy with the lack of discipline and focus on the Steelers this past season, something that was never a problem in Coach Cowher’s past seasons.
    I agree that the Rooneys went outside the organization to bring in someone who will reestablish what was lost, Focus and Discipline. Also to clean out some potential problem players who are getting past their prime.
    With every organization there is a need to blow out the stale old ideas and inject some much needed fire, and I think this is especially true with the Steelers. The old organization headed by Dan Rooney and his coach Bill Cowher are giving way to Art Rooney and Mike Tomlin…Change is good especially for an organization that was getting predictable and frayed around the edges.

25. Bruce Flach
    February 2, 2007 1:31 pm

Hey Pinto bean

Looks like Gene Upshaw confirmed what many of your so called “racists” procliamed.He must be a racist too huh? Don’t feel sorry for me. I need no pity from an angry fool like you. Stop attacking poeple who report the facts. I say again that it is clear the you are the racist here. I’m lust putting you in you place. I suppose Gene Upshaw is a racist too now. I would love the see your tiny little mind spin that. I ask you again, how does it feel to be labled? Just go away pinto bean. You are a discrace to the Steeler Nation. 3 Cheers for Gene Upshaw for telling it like it is!

26. Pinto Alegre
    March 4, 2007 10:35 pm

Bruce — you’ve clearly lost it. Other people said the same thing as me, but you’ve focused in on me for your maniacial, racist rants — and I’m not really sure why. Here’s some information for you. I hope it helps.

Western Psychiatric Institute
    3811 Ohara St # 430
    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
    412-586-9421

27. tommy g
    April 26, 2007 7:54 pm

bernie mac? not really hes not fat enough, george jefferson yes! he has the same hair style, killer suit and ties…all he needs is the swinging walk on the sidelines and a bad temper!

but who cares as long as he wins games and lets labeau handle the defense.