Stoopid is as stoopid does.

So Lukey has now told his friend Councilman Jim Motznik to quit his blogging, particularly about Lukey’s rival Bill Peduto.

Lukey says:

“I don’t think it’s productive, and I don’t think it’s in the best interests of the residents,” the mayor said of Mr. Motznik’s blogging. “We certainly have very important issues that we need to discuss, and the blogosphere is not, in my opinion, the best avenue to do that.”

The mayor said he knew nothing about Mr. Motznik’s plans until after the blog went up.

Some thoughts:

1. Lukey’s use of the word blogosphere shows how in tune he actually is to the web and the blogs on it. I would imagine if you asked any of the council members last week what the “blogosphere” is, at least three of them would have guessed something using the word “planet.”

2. Keeping in mind that my political bent has nothing to do with anything, that I sometimes lean left and I sometimes lean right (this explains why I always walk like I’m a little drunk), that I’m not a city resident so I really don’t give a rat’s ass who is the next mayor so long as he or she continues to provide fodder for the blog, my personal opinion is that I can’t really see Jim Motznik being so stupid as to start a blog such as the one he did and NOT have run it by Lukey first.

And if he did in fact start his blog without running it past Lukey first, he’s more stupid than I thought, and I thought he was pretty damn stoopid.

1. Ryan
    January 31, 2007 11:13 pm

Come on Lukey, you know you stalk PittGirl and read the Burgh Blog everyday.

2. Citizen Sun
    February 2, 2007 8:34 am

To my dismay, I have found very little on any of these “Pittsburgh Blogs” concerning real issues about our city and the need for development. I am a huge supporter of unedited truth, but saddened that all of these great minds use the open forums for slander and never address “real issues.” Pittgirl, you have done a fine job developing a genre for open discussion, but maybe you should be the first one to help fix the wounds of our city, not just throw salt on them. I am more than willing to assist. It amazes me that so many have time to discuss the ridiculous issue of Jim Motzniks blog, but yet no one has an opinion on what might happen if our mass transit shuts down. This is a real issue my friends….just one of many. I would also like to know-if everyone is hell bent against supporting Mayor Ravenstahl, then whom might you suggest take the lead?

3. GenieBottle
    February 2, 2007 12:25 pm

Good point Citizen! Yes, this mass transit issue is serious. Does anyone really want that tunnel under the river? Why is it that there is money for that now but none to help Port Authority? Not that I want PAT to be bailed out because there is definite mismanagement there. But I am one who can’t see the need for the tunnel. Can anyone give me a reason why it is necessary ….
    I am not a city resident myself, I was years ago. I don’t know who I would like to see in the mayor’s office. I am not a fan of Motznik – I think he is a thief. Actually, I think most, if not all, are thieves. Motznik just got caught.

4. Citizen Sun
    February 2, 2007 4:33 pm

Hey Genie…great to hear that someone else actually gives a damn about a real issue. I am not a huge follower of many of the city council. I do know that of all the potential contenders, Mayor Ravenstahl at least has an education. It takes guts to throw yourself in the ring. He didn’t get there accidentally. If anyone has ever left this state you will know that PGH is thought of as a ratty old steel town. I think a polished piece of youth is just what this city needs. There is always guidance in the wake.

5. Tim
    February 2, 2007 5:46 pm

Interim Mayor Ravenstahl absolutely got there by “accident” – he wasn’t elected, and he was nominated as council prez pursuant to a compromise vote.

And my pizza delivery guy has an education to – as does Lukey’s ONLY opponent, Bill Peduto.

“It takes guts to throw yourself in the ring”? You must be joking.

“I think a polished piece of youth is just what this city needs.” He’s a polished piece of something, and it ain’t youth.

“There is always guidance in the wake.” Oh, I see, you must be talking about Denny Regan? Oh, yes, and Dick Skrinjar? Or, oh yes, Marlene Cassidy? Or better yet, Yarone Zober!

Let me guess, you’re one of those “give the kid a chance” people – bet there’s not a single person in your life that you entrust with any decisions of great magnitude who’se under 30 – and here’s a newsflash – or something you might pick up on if you actually bothered to approach the items on these blogs w/an objective conscience: Lukey is no boy-genius – Lukey hasn’t given anyone any reason to believe that he’s anything more special than the next frat boy. All of these so-called “little” things that you mention (by the way – it’s interesting that you’re right in step w/the boy mayor’s talking points) add up to “one” big thing: Luke is immature, inexperienced, and untrustworty. Take him in to whatever boro you’re writing from. We don’t want ’em.

6. Citizen Sun
    February 2, 2007 8:22 pm

I have found that those with the most narrowed views are the ones who have never really achieved their desired levels of success. Such hostility over something that is secondary to the real issues in the boro as you call it-where I reside. Do you own any property in the downtown district? Do you rely on the mass transit to get you to work, or better yet, have you ever been to a city council meeting? If so, then you may have the same concerns as I. Personally, I don’t care if it is Luke Ravenstahl or Jerome Bettis sitting in that office–the true fate of our city comes from us. The consumers, the business owners, and the taxpayers. In case you haven’t been downtown on the weekends, it is a graveyard. The city needs a revitalization and it will take more than a young mayor or the likes of Bill Peduto to do it. My point with this whole blog was exactly proven with your attack. Apply the energy from your narrow-minded aggression towards something beneficial. Yours is not the voice of an objective conscious it is of a school boy jealous of the football captain. Real issues, not personal attacks.

7. Tim
    February 3, 2007 1:20 am

Oh my dear Citizen Sun…I find the manner in which you attack the woman who runs this blog quite interesting – dare I say it “is not the voice of an objective conscious it is of a school boy jealous of the football captain.” – Particularly where this woman is not a public official – I agree that it is your personal responsibility to develop your downtown property, get yourself to work (ahem, public transit…) and speak up at city council meetings (which, by the way, I’ve attended quite a few, and I’ll leave it at that). However, so long as I am being required to pay income, property, sales, etc. taxes, you can bet your ass I’ll be concerned with the honesty, integrity, quality & experience of our public officials. If you find that too personal, or you have difficulty grasping the “reality” of the impact of these things on governance, I suggest that it is you who have a “narrow-minded aggression” – deal with it, and seriously, get over yourself.

8. Citizen Sun
    February 3, 2007 4:38 pm

As stated, I commend Pittgirl for initiating a unique genre. I was hoping to invite mature discussions about issues of real importance to our fair city and not looking for a hair-pulling-girly- fight with the likes of “Tim” Although, I must comment on your lack of consideration and respect for those fine folks who “do” use the mass transit. I for one do not need the public transit system, but you better be damn sure that I care about the people who do. Instead of (ahem, public transit) why don’t you tell all of those people who work and survive-ahem,public transit, that you volunteer to pick them all up and take them to work and school each day. Or maybe you could suggest that they all pay $22 a day to park in the limited spaces downtown. How about something that really matters other than “your” opinion of someone whose success you envy. Maybe you just need a little more sleep, late night “clicking” could be affecting your thought process. Have a great late night Tim.

9. MAVERICK
    February 4, 2007 1:29 am

hey, citizen sun: you’re not matt h, by any chance…r u???

10. Citizen Sun
    February 4, 2007 8:38 am

No, unless I am the female version! I have seen his name elsewhere–I think 2 politcal Junkies–am I right?

11. Tim
    February 5, 2007 1:01 pm

Oh Citizen Sun – go ahead, admit it, you want me. That’s the real reason you’ve visited this blog you pretend to hate 5 times this weekend! Can’t wait to see if I’ve been clicking the night away! As flattered as I am, I’m sorry, I’m taken. I guess we’ll just have to be star-crossed lovers. Maybe in another life…:)

12. Citizen Sun
    February 5, 2007 1:31 pm

Your crazier than I initially thought! Well, I am pleased to see that you have a sense of humor. Honestly, I am very interested in these blogs–as mentioned the first time around-I want all of these sharp minds to get together and fix the problems that could make each of our lives just a little better or at least address them. I never said I “hate” these blogs, I just want to find people that think about the things that I do. We don’t have to agree on them, but at least discuss what is important. Here is why– more than half the people I communicate with on a daily basis tell me they could care less about any facet of politics? I think that is frightening. These are successful people who don’t even vote, but them suddenly they have an opinion when things aren’t going so great. I find that to be a disgrace. My generation (30 somethings, ahem) could care less–and that my friend is the problem. So even though you and I may never be lovers-and surely disagree, at least I know you get what I am saying. So thanks for letting me know you are out there…maybe we could start our own new blog and debate the issues. People always love a good cat fight! Let me know. Hey Tim–I bet you love the idea of Hillary Clinton for Prez!

13. Tim
    February 5, 2007 5:44 pm

“These are successful people who don’t even vote, but then suddenly they have an opinion when things aren’t going so great. I find that to be a disgrace” – Finally, something you and I agree on (aside from how hot I am) – the point I’ve been trying to make is that a lot of these blogs focus on what might, at first glimpse, appear to be minor issues, however, when you take a step back and really think about some of these things, people should be scratching their heads and saying “do I really want to place someone with such poor judgment in a position where he will be faced with managing REAL issues?” In other words, should we just keep quiet and wait for the iceberg to hit, or should we be standing guard and warning the others that there is an iceberg ahead?(I know you appreciate my Titanic reference, which shows you my sensitive, romantic side) I mean, c’mon, the kid spent $1500 from his campaign funds on a suit to wear to the David Letterman show, & I don’t even remember what the suit looked like? (I’m joking, sort of…) Seriously, I just think that the voters deserve better than “he’s young, but give him a chance”. Politicians should be held to the same great standard of excellence that you applied in determining my worth as a potential suitor.

14. Tim
    February 5, 2007 5:50 pm

Oh, and as for Hillary Clinton, I’m not sure how I feel about Hillary. Why do you ask? Are you the jealous type? I think we need to set some ground rules: no stalking me. Fair enough?

And just to show you what a gentleman I am, a word to the wise – Maverick called you “Matt H” – NOBODY wants to be called Matt H!

15. Citizen Sun
    February 5, 2007 6:07 pm

Tim, Tim, Tim….time to disagree. The only issue I have seen thus far in the blogs..are rants about the Mayor’s age. He has only been in office for 4 months. What the hell does everyone expect him to do in such a short time. If you look at some of the other blogs–everyone is arguing the same crap. He is this, he is not that, Lukey this, Lukey that. No one recognizes anything that the mayor has accomplished thus far which is rather plentiful. One thing he has done is sensationalized a rather dismal city image. People need to run with that. If I were his campaign manager–I would run with that. It is very important. Image IS everything if you are a perspective company looking to relocate to a vibrant city. Are you aware of the “true” accomplishments thus far in his administration? If not—please do some research. He has completed many projects that have been sitting dormant for some time. It is a good start. You know as well as I–that American politics have become a “youth” contest. Look at the perspective presidential candidates…Hill, Obama, Edwards–it is image. Sadly this is the way of the world Tim. Even you have fallen prey. You talk of his suits and your own testiment of “being hot” which by the way–I am sure you are just lovely! I on the other hand…have that rare award winning combination of beauty and brains!

16. Citizen Sun
    February 5, 2007 6:42 pm

I don’t know who Matt H. is….nor do I care. I am most certainly in a league of my own. I like Hillary Clinton. She is tough….not afraid to stand up to those old-whitebread-stuff-shirts. Not a jealous bone in my body.

17. Tim
    February 5, 2007 7:48 pm

The problem with Luke is that he is all image, no substance – and while a good ad campaign is all about image, some of us are still concerned with substance. Also, I’m fairly close with people who have worked in govt. for a long time, and a lot of the things that Lukey claims to have accomplished are things that were initiated by his predecessors. For example, the 311 project was 99% complete before O’Connor’s death, the WiFy project was initiated, developed and negotiated by Peduto, downtown development – Murphy & O’Connor, “Pittsburgh Promise” – which is not at all what Lukey originally announced it would be – Mark Roosevelt – I could go on, and yes it’s true that he’s only been in office for 4 months, but that’s the point, isn’t it? No matter what his age, he has little experience and his track record is a great big zero – nada. Saying “Let’s move forward” gets old real quick when there’s no substance behind it. And while on one hand you argue that age shouldn’t be a factor, you urge that his image, which is based 100% on his age, should be pretty much the sole consideration before casting my vote. This isn’t the high school student government. Nah, I’d rather go with the guy who, while young, has a steady history of public service, creativity, honesty and integrity – and the guy (or girl) who is a self-made man. Luke has demonstrated none of these things, and I value my vote more than to just throw it away on the hope that he might someday stop lying, become creative, stop catering to the whims of special interests…he’s just not a good guy. If you’re as beautiful and brainy as you say you are, you can do better. Go with the good guy, not the frat boy.

18. Citizen Sun
    February 7, 2007 1:46 pm

If every idea was implemented by its initial creator-then you and I wouldn’t exist or if we did, we would be living in caves…someone had an idea to build a wood house. I agree that Luke is not the master-mind behind the programs, but in four months-we now have the programs. Isn’t that the whole point? Seriously, do you really think the WiFy project was just some miraculous idea that Bill thought up one night while soaking in a bath? No. Someone else’s creation. 311–N.Y had it for years as well as all other plans for development that are on the table. We can all sit around and “create” these mid-level, decade old ideas, but in the short time young Luke has taken office–he closed the deal. Business 101-“Close the Deal”. This city needs to shed it’s image. We need strong vibrant new companies and our 50,000 college students to stay. The city must become attractive. I am not saying that Luke is the answer, but I do know that PGH is 10 years behind most other major cities and those kids want out of here..the education is good, but the prospects suck! Hell, even slow-ass North Carolina has now blown by us in progression. The issues you present about the mayor are character issues. They all do the same thing Tim, lie, cheat, steal…whatever. Much worse have accomplished way more. I am about taking action, not just bitching about it.

19. maverick
    February 12, 2007 12:57 am

another issue: free parking on black friday will still not bring me downtown to shop. suburbs rule.

20. Citizen Sun
    February 14, 2007 2:07 pm

Hey Maverick-thanks for proving my point. Intelligent blogging at it’s finest!