The Blizzard of ’07 ™, The Aftermath

1. While a pigeon no longer maintains the will to live at -2 degrees, standing outside this morning waiting on my bus, I discovered that a windchill of -15 degrees is when PittGirl no longer maintains the will to live. I kind of wanted to pour my coffee on my head.

2. My office was closed yesterday in honor of the Blizzard of ’07 (or “The Winter Wallop” according to WPXI or “The Winter Blast” at KDKA ). I hope this can become a yearly holiday?

3. WTAE preempted Oprah in order to begin their weather coverage at 4:00 instead of 5:00 p.m. I witnessed 41 minutes (because 41 minutes is the point at which I no longer maintained the will to watch that redundant shit) of the most ludicrous weather coverage EVAH! Stephen Cropper and Don Schwenneker were working in tandem to tell us exactly why it was freezing raining (something to do with warm air, cold air, and rain … that freezes).

At one point, Stephen was sitting at the news desk talking to Wendy and Michelle, and Don was in the background working furiously … FURIOUSLY! … on his computer. Probably on MySpace.

The entire 41 minutes were spent giving previews of what would be on the 5 o’clock news and thanking their plow driver for clearing the WTAE parking lot. I swear it. I got scared that if I rolled my eyes any harder, my eyeballs would pop out of their sockets, so I turned the TV off.

4. WTAE went on ride-alongs with plow drivers, who suddenly began offering commentary like they were those officers on Cops. “We’re just trying to get ahead of the situation as you can see. We’re plowing this road here, and the snow is falling. So, we’re plowing it again. Just doing our jobs out here.”

5. I officially hate winter.

1. Ivan
    February 15, 2007 8:44 am

It is a little nippy here in Florida, it got all the way down to 63…

2. Anthony
    February 15, 2007 9:34 am

I thought the numerous segments in which Marcie Cipriani and Janelle Hall picked up pieces of ice from the ground and pointed to the ice build-up on a random van were extremely useful. Because you know, it prepared me for when I went outside and saw the previously foreign substance that I now call “ice” that had built up on my own car.

3. Zorro
    February 15, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks, Ivan!

I like winter but hate all the constant fussing about it. It’s like a kid asking “when are we gonna be there” on a long car ride. Just accept that it’s cold and snowy and life will be fine.

4. aj
    February 15, 2007 1:12 pm

I am happy we all survived.
    My favorite term for the storm is “The St. Valenties Blizzard” used by Demetrius Ivory somewhere around 6am this morning. Was it really a blizzard? What are the rules on that one?

5. Mel
    February 15, 2007 3:20 pm

THIS made the news a bit more “bare”able in Cleveland during our “Blizzard of ’07” : http://cbs4.com/watercooler/local_story_046091655.html

So awesome.

February 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Beano Cook’s three worst inventions of the 20th century:

1. income tax

2. artificial turf

3. local news

7. honda driver
    February 15, 2007 5:02 pm

wtae also preempted good morning america yesterday. for some reason they felt ‘the winter wallop’ was much more news-worthy than anything on the national or international scene.

8. north sider
    February 16, 2007 1:12 am

WTAE has finally moved on from the snow. Now their showing us viewers more important things, like Kelly Frey learning how to pole dance. Do you think Wendy might be a little jealous?