Hug me like you mean it.

Speaking of Lukey, he handily won the endorsement of the Democratic Party yesterday.

The PG ran this photo (stolen shamelessly by PittGirl).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I’d like to point out three things.

1. Lukey is still wearing the Bob O’Connor bracelet.

2.  That might be the most awkward hug ever caught on camera.

3. “I Like Luke” might be the lamest assest campaign slogan ever. If only they went with “Moving Forward with Luke” then we could all be drunk off our asses 24/7 … with a legitimate reason for doing it.

1. Judge Rufus Peckham
    March 5, 2007 8:50 am

What do you think she’s whispering in his ear to elicit that reaction from him?

2. Bob
    March 5, 2007 9:31 am

That’s the hug of a man who, for whatever reason, doesn’t want that woman’s boobies pressed against him. And that’s just wrong.

Is the guy behind him wearing a Superman tie? That’s just wrong, too.

3. Chris
    March 5, 2007 9:40 am

She definitely has him in an all out bear hug.

4. efw_west
    March 5, 2007 9:41 am

no, the most awkward hug ever caught on camera was the Bill Cowher/Dan Rooney embrace when Bill resigned.

5. Jen
    March 5, 2007 9:43 am

That is his wife, Erin, in the picture. It is very awkward to try to have a real hug with emotion in front of a packed room of people AND a photographer.

6. Anthony
    March 5, 2007 10:23 am

You are right, Jen. One thing that I have noticed at the countless weddings I have attended in my lifetime is the awkward emotionless hugs between brides and grooms due to the reception packed with people and a photographer.

7. pittgirl
    March 5, 2007 10:24 am

Hah!!

8. kennedy man
    March 5, 2007 10:28 am

Mike Mccarthy in the background… what an ass.

9. cityworker
    March 5, 2007 10:43 am

I would like to say that i have an “I Like Luke” button. I think it is a very corny slogan, and rather unoriginal. But is still catchy!

10. Bob
    March 5, 2007 10:48 am

Look! Lady licks Luke, Luke lackeys like Luke’s lick, Luke likers lack lip lock luck.

11. PittGirl
    March 5, 2007 10:50 am

Hah. HAH! You guys are killing me today.

12. Maria
    March 5, 2007 12:00 pm

Someone suggested to me that it should be “I PUKE LUKE” because, you know, it like rhymes.

13. spoon
    March 5, 2007 12:09 pm

how about:
    “Giving it all for Ravenstahl”
    “Pittsburgh’s moving forward n’all with Luke Ravenstahl”
    “Only pee in a stall like Luke Ravenstahl”

I rule

14. Pinto Alegre
    March 5, 2007 1:51 pm

I want to know what the dude behind Luke is actually looking at. It looks like he’s licking his lips. Woah!

15. The Comet
    March 5, 2007 2:25 pm

Is that guy on the left wearing a tie made out of Lego?

16. Julie_Gong
    March 5, 2007 2:48 pm

I think ‘I Like Luke’ is the most original slogan in the history of slogans. In fact I might change my blog name because I do really Like Luke.

17. Shelly
    March 5, 2007 3:50 pm

I don’t know, the alliteration of the slogan is kinda catchy, and it reminds me of a local dairy growing up, Fike’s Dairy, whose slogan was ‘i like fike’s.’ Their chocolate milk was awesome, and I’m all for anything that reminds me of chocolate milk.

I must say, though, on a slightly different note, that I particularly like Patrick Dowd’s choice of colors for his campaign materials. They’re bright, and really cut through the clutter of the traditional political colors.

18. gunnlino
    March 5, 2007 4:06 pm

You’re forgetting your history from Jr Hi…
    I may be dating myself, but was’nt there a US President elected with the simple but effective slogan of “I Like Ike” ? Seems to me there was and the colors of his placards and buttons were your basic R/W & B.
    I don’t recall if there was a drinking game attached to his electoral effort, but then again why do we need a game ?

19. GenieBottle
    March 5, 2007 5:32 pm

No, no, you all have it wrong. She is whispering to him that the signs all have typos. Instead of “I Like Luke” they are actually supposed to say “I Lick Luke” and that is exactly just what she is doing. And the guy with the loud tie is just waiting his turn (you see, he came up with the slogan) to “Lick Luke” and boy, looks like he is getting the old tongue revvvvvved up. He Haw!

20. Matt H
    March 6, 2007 1:22 am

Kenendy idiot said…

“Mike Mccarthy in the background… what an ass”

Why do you say that?

21. Matt H
    March 6, 2007 1:24 am

The Comet said…

“Is that guy on the left wearing a tie made out of Lego?”

That’s Mike McCarthy…he goes by the nickname of M&M and usually passes out the candy at all the events he goes to.

The tie actually has a bunch of M&M stuff on it. I was there.

22. Jess
    March 6, 2007 8:41 am

Bully for you!

23. Chris
    March 6, 2007 9:10 am

“passing out candy”…”looks like he is getting the old tongue revvvvvved up”…”tie has a bunch of M&M stuff on it” …THATS IT Mike McCarthy officially reminds me of the old creepy guy on Family Guy

24. kennedy idiot
    March 6, 2007 3:02 pm

Kenendy idiot said…

“Mike Mccarthy in the background… what an ass”

Why do you say that?

Well geez, he’s Mike. He’s an ass. A pompous ass that frankly should not be the judge of a fire hall bingo let alone a county. Ever dealt with him? He’s a bozo.

If you had an inkling you might want to check out his record of accomplishments, not the glossy stuff on his website. I’m in the process of assembling this crap and sending it to whoever I can send it to. His third time on the ballot for judge, right? Last time he lost to Tom for god sake. He’s so far up Mel and John’s ass that they would get him on the ballot if he was in a coma. That’s the only reason he’s there. He’s been writing the right checks to the right people for years. Of course, you knew all that, right?

“The tie actually has a bunch of M&M stuff on it. I was there.” – Great. Now I can call him a candy ass too. lol!

25. Jess
    March 6, 2007 5:17 pm

Kennedy – Tell me more – I’d love to know who this ass is. I have never heard of him. Where is he a judge? Who are Mel and John?

Thanks for the info.

26. Matt H
    March 6, 2007 6:46 pm

Mike is not a judge yet. He is running for a spot on the Common Pleas bench. He had the most votes at the endorsement.

27. kennedy idiot
    March 7, 2007 8:54 am

Thanks for the info.

Mike’s a good old boy D who has done so much back scratching over the years he might be actually be a massage therapst on the side.

No, he is not a judge yet, I think this is the third time he ran. I know he ran in 2005 with a whole mosh pit of others.

Here is a good article on Mike’s ability to advise a local government on how to squash your constitutional rights. Mike’s says “and justice for all” … right. Mike actually says “I’ll tell you what you idiots want to hear as long as you pay me”. Where are the morals?

Here is how that turned out:

28. Jess
    March 7, 2007 12:51 pm

Thanks Kennedy I!!!!

This county is just full of the good ole boy democrats. I guess he is just another one of them. It’s too bad that some folks can’t endorse or vote for anyone unless they have that big D beside their name. Not that the Republicans are that much better but at least people out there should do some homework and think before they just pull the democrat lever year after year.

Thanks for your info!

29. matt h
    March 7, 2007 6:49 pm

Please forgive me, I am obsessed with the mayor. I also think that you will be impressed that I was at an event on a weekend with 2000 people old enough to be my grandparents and that I have no life.

30. stowe bunny
    March 7, 2007 10:01 pm

Matt, that’s the way you have to do it I guess. Get a county job. Spend all your time kissing ass. Got to events that you are not invited to just to suck up.. you know the score. Eventually a suit wearer like candy ass Mike will notice you and get you a good no show gig as a tipstaff or something.

Take some advise from Mark R.. but take it in a different way.. Don’t run for something… STAND FOR IT! You can’t stand for anything hunched over kissing butt.

31. Accountability First
    March 10, 2007 6:25 pm

Shelly

Maybe Patrick can put this out in a catchy color

I want all Pgh Public School Board Members to NOT run for other offices — as a part of our city’s charter, if need be. They use the position for power grabbing, not for serving the needs of the kids and education. I’d rather require that the school board offices be terminal roles then we’d have a different quality of discussions and self-interest of the people on the board.

Patrick Dowd

32. John B
    March 18, 2007 3:55 pm

The biggest jackass of them all is behind and just to the right of M&M (how ridiculous is that?) –Darlene Harris. But, in true Pittsbugh “check your brain at the door prior to pulling the lever on election day” fashion, after getting the heave-ho from the School Board, voters returned her to fill Luke’s vacant seat. And of course, she has received the party’s endorsement for the coming election. Yay. The future.

33. Pingback: Completely free online credit report.