The Great Young Hope

Lukey has been called lots of things: Lukey, Opie, Doogie, that balding kid running the city, etc.

Here’s a new one:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

That’s a little bit scary.

Be sure to read the article so that you can read Billy Peduto once again referring to himself as the “elder statesman” and comparing himself to Al Gore … only with less charisma.

And this from The Great Young Hope’s wife Erin:

“Some days we sit there at dinner and I’ll say, ‘You’re the mayor of this city?’ We’ll like drive through the city, through the tunnel, and I’ll be like, ‘You’re in charge of all that?’ It’s crazy.”

I bet what she really says is, “Like, you’re in charge of all that? Like, WTF? Awesome, dude. Wanna go home and like play Guitar Hero?”

Get it? ‘Cause they’re so young … they like … forget it.

1. Dano
    March 12, 2007 11:28 am

Peduto? Elder statesman? Let me check my “Things in Pittsburgh that should just go away” list to see if he’s on it….hmmmm…yep…Number 3 on the list…right after pigeons and before the Dance Team at Pitt football games

2. Pinto Alegre
    March 12, 2007 12:38 pm

Like…um….like moving Pittsburgh forward n’at….like, know what I mean? Fer shure!

3. Jess
    March 12, 2007 1:13 pm

First of all, why anyone would want to be even remotely compared to the likes of Al Gore is beyond me. Gawd!

That story on CBS morning show was a joke. Fer shure anat!

4. Sofa King
    March 12, 2007 2:55 pm

As bass-ackwards as it seems, the dance team had some cuties and the cheerleaders were the fugly ones…has that changed since I graduated?

5. mer-man
    March 12, 2007 3:01 pm

Yeah, I love the opening reference to smoke stacks.

We’re so smokey …

It was like they came to the Burgh with a story pitch and were going to stick with it hell or high water.

Luke is 27. How that provides hope, I don’t know.

6. gunnlino
    March 12, 2007 4:02 pm

C’mon , I was 27 once and I had hope, then I moved back to the ‘Burgh and, well you know the rest.

7. Shelly
    March 12, 2007 8:13 pm

The age provides hope because if Pittsburgh expects to advance into any kind of positive economnic situation, the city needs to attract and retain a young workforce, something I think most people can agree doesn’t happen much. The generation gap is becoming so big that more seasoned workers/employers have trouble understanding what the younger generation wants and needs, which is why having a Mayor as young as Luke should be really beneficial. Or, hopeful, as it were.

8. mer-man
    March 12, 2007 9:47 pm

Yeah …

It isn’t a generation gap as much as it is an wallet gap. The gap is my wallet is filled by higher-paying, entry-level jobs in other cities.

9. Bram R
    March 12, 2007 10:21 pm

In re Shelly: the supposition that because Luke is young, he must understand what the younger generation wants and needs, is precisely what is driving the political blurghosphere BATTY, with the twitchy eyes and the pain in the temples. Just sayin’.

Burgher: Mer-Man? Really? I kind of figured you for Teela or the such.

10. mer-man
    March 12, 2007 10:37 pm

Just a fan of the man, Bram, just a fan.

11. Ed Heath
    March 13, 2007 12:28 am

I would, Jess, I would.

If Luke were a clearly smart young man, like Dan Cohen clearly was when he joined city council in 1990, then I would be all for him. But the politician Mr. Ravenstahl has most reminded me of, from the beginning, is Dubya. Except in this case Denny Regan’s Cheney has been prevented from advancing to power.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being young. But it also has nothing to do with being smart, and frankly it does mean you are less experienced. Do we need a novelty mayor, or someone to address the city’s large debt and employment situation? And it is looking that that realy might be the choice.

12. Maria
    March 13, 2007 2:40 am

Everyone knows that being young automatically means that you also have fresh, innovative and creative ideas. You need only look at Brittany and K-Fed for confirmation of this.

Moreover, Luke understands the average young Pittsburgher because just like most typical young Pittsburghers, Luke was given a Democratic Committee seat for his 18th birthday and like most young Pittsburghers, he has a judge for a father and his grandfather was a State Rep. C’mon, we’re all politically connected like that, right?

13. Shelly
    March 13, 2007 7:19 am

Being young does mean less experienced, but when it comes to politics, I’d almost prefer a person who’s had less opportunities to be jaded by the whole system. Luke’s challenger knows his policies inside and out, but national news wouldn’t bother making Pittsburgh a cover story if someone who is self described as having less charisma than Al Gore was in charge.

Citing an example of creative and innovative youth in two washed up celebrities is not just farfetched, it’s irrelevant.

Mer-Man, I completely get where you’re coming from, and you know as well as I do that’s not an overnight fix. But look at it this way: in 5-10 years the majority of the current workforce is expected to retire. To compensate, many companies, like Consol and Westinghouse, are already offering some pretty sweet deals for younger workers.

14. Jess
    March 13, 2007 9:47 am

God bless you Ed! I guess there are real people out there who would like to be compared to the man who claims to have invented the internet.

15. Maria
    March 13, 2007 12:00 pm

Shelly,

Actually, I do only need to provide one example where youth doesn’t equal young, fresh, creative ideas to prove that, well, youth doesn’t necessarily equal young, fresh, creative ideas (there’s any number of other examples — Young Republicans meeting, skinhead rally, etc. — but I decided to attempt humor instead).

Moreover, it especially doesn’t equal that when folks in the media have already started noticing that that the young guy makes a habit of “borrowing” his ideas from the “old” guy. That, and the young guy’s tendency to surround himself with the worst of the old school hacks…

16. Jess
    March 13, 2007 12:48 pm

I don’t care if they are young or old – I just want to see some completely new faces in our local government – yes, I’d like to see ALL of those old school hacks out as well.

17. Shelly
    March 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Maria, I’m glad to see you’re placing so much faith in the younger generation, and chocking up the mistakes and eccentricities of a few to mean the failure of the whole. Personally, I’d like to see everyone focused on the common goal of making Pittsburgh a more viable city in the 21st century, instead of focusing on what are essentially tiny political differences. No one’s saying anything about the people “the ‘old’ guy” surrounds himself with, like his biggest campaign contributor, who outsources a whole lot of jobs to India. I’ll take the Pittsburgh native old school hacks over that.

18. Ed Heath
    March 13, 2007 11:04 pm

Jess, who said I’m real? My wife accuses me of being a robot all the time. And at 45 I’m definately an old school hack.

Actually, I’m cynical enough to say that a clean sweep would be fine with me, new faces couldn’t do any worse, I just doubt they would do any better.

Using my vast reserves of “experience” I looked on the Wikipedia and found what Al Gore really said: “Gore, himself, poked fun at the controversy. In September 2000, as a guest on the The Late Show with David Letterman, he read a list of the “Top Ten Rejected Gore – Lieberman Campaign Slogans.” Number nine on the list was: “Remember, America, I gave you the Internet, and I can take it away!” “

19. Maria
    March 14, 2007 2:13 am

Shelly,

I’m not the one making broad generalizations. I did not say that one or a few or even lots of noncreative young people means “the failure of the whole.”

I simply have said that being young does not automatically translate into having fresh or young or creative ideas.

That, however, seems to be an argument that some make regarding Luke without ever providing any actual examples of any fresh, young or creative ideas that Luke has actually come up with his own self in his nearly two years on City Council or his six months as Mayor.

Peduto’s biggest supporter isn’t making actual decisions in our government the way Luke’s old school hacks are. And by decisions, I mean royal f*ck ups that cost the taxpayers money (See: McNeilly, Eggleton, dropping the cost recovery program, etc.).

20. Jeeperz
    March 14, 2007 5:02 pm

A clean sweep would be nice for a change…and they can take Sally Wiggin, John McIntire, Randy Bauman, and the Pitt Dance Team along for the “flush” I mean ride.