The more things stay the same.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is the year, baby!  This is the year we turn it all around.

1. Jess
    March 12, 2007 1:10 pm

Maybe if we built them an even newer ballpark, they would win. Isn’t that why PNC Park was built in the first place?

2. spoon
    March 12, 2007 1:50 pm

I thought it was built so McClatchy could have an excuse for not spending any money on talent. Oh and to charge out the ass for concessions.

3. Sofa King
    March 12, 2007 2:49 pm

I’m still willing to waiger that they’ll be mathematically eliminated by opening day…any takers?

March 12, 2007 3:34 pm

Sorry, sofa king, but I took that bet last year and lost. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice …

5. BH
    March 12, 2007 4:05 pm

It’s not encouraging that the Pirates are ranked where they are, but this is spring training. It doesn’t really indicate where things will stand once the real season gets going. It seems unlikely that the Orioles, who are No. 4 in the preseason standings, will be in contention come playoff time, while the Mets probably will be, and they have a spring training win-loss record that’s not much better than the Buccos.

6. non-witness
    March 12, 2007 5:52 pm

Eh, I don’t put much stock in the preseason. Would you be worried if the Steelers went 0-4 in the preseason? Wait, did they just do that and then miss the playoffs…maybe I should reconsider how important these games are. Let’s go Bucs!

7. JP
    March 12, 2007 10:07 pm

i couldn’t care less about the grapefruit record. i never even realized they kept track of it.

and, theoretically at least, i think the teams cut their dead weight before opening day. BUT excellent analogy with the steelers preseason…

i’m just thrilled and surprised to see all the comments. even the smarmy ones. ’cause even bad buzz is better than no buzz. (or is that you, nutting, filling up the comment boards?)

8. Pingback: Penguins Are Nonmigratory Birds at Have A Good Sandwich

9. Nate
    March 13, 2007 6:33 am

I believe St. Louis won 6 games last spring..

Also, how many games did we play our regular lineup? None. Spring Training is dumb. Why these games are even covered is beyond me.

10. Jess
    March 13, 2007 9:41 am

Sorry, this is an indication to me of what the season will most likely be. What is wrong with them? If this is as good as it gets with them – you would think they would do somewhat better.

By the way, does McClatchy and/or the Pirates pay anything toward the cost of the ballpark or is it strictly a taxpayer cost?

11. Shelly
    March 13, 2007 8:10 pm

I’ve been to one Pirates game in the last four years I think, but seeing as how I don’t follow baseball at all, I was able to walk away with (and maintain) some positivity. They won that game. Can’t say I’ve heard about too many wins, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

12. Jess
    March 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Doubt if it will happen here.

13. Shelly