What the frick!?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I don’t even know what to say about Billy exiting the Mayor’s race.

Wait.

Yes, I do.

Wuss.

Here’s what I think happened, and feel free to chime in and tell me that PittGirl, you have lost your mind, girl.

Billy basically realized his chances of winning the election were not that great and instead of fighting the fight and giving Burghers a choice in the matter, he bows out while trying to make it look like he’s being the bigger man by giving the reason for bowing out as essentially this:

“I’m tired of being asked about how shitty of a person my opponent is.”

So now what happens is Lukey is George Bush 2000 in that a lot of people are going to feel they never got to elect him. He got his council seat with about 2,500 votes, his council presidency with less than ten votes, his mayor position with zero votes, and now, he’ll hold on to his mayor position without voting really mattering.

If I were Peduto, I’d have taken the high road, refused to sling mud, focused on the issues, and hoped that this recent spate of bad decisions by Lukey would make the city second-guess his abilities to lead effectively.

Also:

“I thank Bill and look forward to working with him to move the city forward,” Mr. Ravenstahl said.

Thursday morning drinking! Yay!

1. Jen
    March 22, 2007 8:27 am

I agree that I would have liked to see Peduto in the race but here is my take.

I think that he did polling and realized he was down by alot. He then realized he was going to have to spend A TON of money to try to gain votes and the love of people. He did not have that money from fundraising, since Luke is getting all of the old school Democratic support, and did not have the money from his own accounts to carry on. I also think that he felt if he bowed out now he can sit back and keep track of the things Luke will do over the next two years and get support behind the scenes so that if Luke does mess up he will then run in two years and look like the smarter choice that will save the city.

Just my two cents.

2. Richmond K. Turner
    March 22, 2007 8:48 am

I watched the KDKA raw video of the whole thing, and here’s what I really want to know. First, couldn’t somebody… anybody… have unplugged the freaking telephone that kept ringing every 10 seconds throughout the whole press conference? And second, just who in the hell kept trying to call Peduto headquarters at the precise moment that he was bowing out of the race? Did they think he was going to pause his conversation with the press, take their phone call, and that they could talk him out of it?

Sorry, but those telephones ringing really got on my nerves.

3. yinzernation.com
    March 22, 2007 9:02 am

I’m probably giving him way more credit than he deserves, but I think he’s being pretty shrewd about this.

Rather than spend a bunch of money in the spring to run as the un-endorsed (and likely losing) candidate in the primary, he pulls up…stops spending…and avoids being labeled as a “loser” to Luke Ravenstahl. In June, he announces he’s back in and makes his run for the actual election with his cash reserved and without the stigma of already having lost to the guy he’s running against.

Smart move.

4. efw_west
    March 22, 2007 9:33 am

Luke is a liar! When asked by the Trib, he at first denied the trip to New York. When he realized that story wouldn’t hold, be began changing his tune and still is not very forthcoming about the whole matter. How can anyone trust him? How can he lead this city? His is nothing more than a pawn for Rendell and Onorato.

Truely dissappointed Peduto has chosen not to run.

5. Erin
    March 22, 2007 9:42 am

I can’t believe Peduto couldn’t think of a better excuse for dropping out than “I’m tired of being asked about how shitty of a person my opponent is”. Does he even realize how stupid that sounds?
    I voted for Peduto when he ran against O’Connor, but I’m actually glad for this chance to see his true colors. I think he needs to just realize the Mayor thing isn’t in the cards for him. He should put himself to better use than selling out and changing his registration to come back in November, when he likely still wouldn’t win.
    And Ravenstahl just shows me that you can be young and still be a good ‘ol boy. He also comes across as so dim. And now he’ll probably be Mayor for about 10 years or so, the way this city works. *$&%^.

6. BURGH
    March 22, 2007 9:57 am

Peduto reminded me yesterday of the old Saturday Night Live skit with Jon Lovitz as Michael Dukakis: (“I can’t believe I’m losing to this guy!”)

7. jeeperz
    March 22, 2007 10:27 am

Thought of that too Burgh…if you look at Peduto quickly, he kind of looks like Lovitz…

Now granted I never really cared for Peduto, he started doing something when there was a decision to have the mayoral race this year but he was an alternative.

Regardless, when it comes to politicians in Pgh, I would like to quote the Jack Nicholson as Joker in Batman when I say “This town needs an enema”

8. c
    March 22, 2007 11:49 am

Hmmm now one is relieved – we are gagging from politics. Really, we need to stop talking and get to work.

9. Sofa King
    March 22, 2007 12:10 pm

I think Jen hit the nail on the head- why waste your campaign war chest on a partial-term election that you have a slim chance of winning when you can save the money, come back in 2 years, and take a more serious run at the position? I think that Peduto may have come to regard Ravenstahl’s recent missteps as a foreshadowing of what may lie ahead for the next few years if he stays in office, and may have thus decided to give Ravenstahl the chance to dig his own grave. All-in-all, not a bad move on Peduto’s part. It may come back to bite him, however, if the new arena opens on schedule in 2009, as Ravenstahl could use the public fervor surrounding that event to bolster his standing with the voters.

10. mer-man
    March 22, 2007 12:12 pm

I think Peduto realized that if he stayed in he’d have to go nuclear to have a chance. And still probably lose b/c people want to “give the kid a chance.”

Instead he refuses to attack him the day after a big mistake, and saves his powder.

Now that he is essentially “the man” Luke will be under the microscope for the next two years.

If he messes up, Peduto can run as the nice guy instead of the mean guy.

11. Chuck
    March 22, 2007 12:16 pm

PittGirl,
    Now that Lukey has been anointed for a few more years I think we need a ruling on the drinking game.

Lukey gives a press confrence or a interview that multiple outlets tape. We catch a “Moving Forward” on Ch 2 then switch to Ch 3 and view the same moving forward statement from the same press confrence.
    Does this count as 1 or 2 drinks?
    Chuck

12. spoon
    March 22, 2007 12:32 pm

and if we rewind and play back do we drink again? I think we should cuz i’m all about the drinking. wooooooooooo!

13. JP
    March 22, 2007 1:16 pm

yes wtf? i am stupefied.

a political opponent consistently generates his own bad press and so you forfeit? what? that sounds like a god-send to me…

would hillary/obama drop out if the media focused on their opponents’ faux pas?

i agree with the other posts about possibly saving the war chest for a more winnable election, but really this is sniveling.

and it smells funny to me. maybe there’s big giant dirt on him somewhere that just primed to hit the fan…

14. jeeperz
    March 22, 2007 2:49 pm

I agree JP…something else is up with llittle Billy…he may be saving the warchest for another day but for some reason the “spidey senses” are starting to tingle

15. Bram R
    March 22, 2007 4:49 pm

I love how the Burgh Blog style handbook says you have to ask what the “frick”, but “shitty” is okay.

I understand that his press release told all the reporters that his press conference would be held on the *wrong street*. Perhaps campaigning was not his strong suit.

16. Ed Heath
    March 22, 2007 5:30 pm

There has been some buzz about how Peduto um, fricked up Dan Cohen’s run for the House in the nineties, and jammed up progressive candidates in the last Mayoral run. Still, I don’t see why Peduto could not have stayed in and simply released a crap load of position papers. He could have gone past the high road straight to the fantasy “West Wing” road, and then chided voters when they decided to “give the kid a chance”. Does Peduto really have something better to do between now and May?

I watch too much TV…

17. pittgirl
    March 23, 2007 9:02 am

Obviously, I need to formalize the rules of the drinking game. I’ll work on that.

Also, Bram, my blog is actually a very real representation of myself, probably more so than most blogs. In speaking, I am known to use the words shit, ass, damn, and bitch, but I probably say f&#* once a year and usually it’s when I’m really really really pissed off.

I say pissed, too. :)