Work downtown! Here’s why.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A video from the Downtown Pittsburgh Partnership advertising the cool reasons you should want to work downtown, has been posted on YouTube.

Two thoughts:

1. I’d like to work wherever that guy that is playing pool works.

2. They forgot to mention how awesome it is to be regularly and violently dive-bombed by bastard pigeons.

1. L
    March 26, 2007 10:02 am

So funny. That’s totally an advertisement by committee. You can just see them sitting around–“include the buses! put in something about the river trails!” Instead of making a lot of points, it just looks spastic.

2. non-witness
    March 26, 2007 10:03 am

I recognize an employee from FSC Marketing. Turns out that they developed the site, downtownpittsburgh.com. Guessing that’s their pool table, down in the old Westinghouse building.

3. Judge Rufus Peckham
    March 26, 2007 10:46 am

“In fact, there’s never been a better time to work in the city,” says the second man on the video, before he hurries out of frame without providing any support for this insupportable assertion. Yes, downtown has the cultural district, which is very nice, but he and I have a different understanding of the definition of “better.” Does he include the time when Pittsburgh had three major department stores, when Sixth Street alone had three big movie theaters, and the Fifth-Forbes corridor didn’t look like Baghdad after a car bombing? When folks went to Market Square to shop instead of darting through it to avoid being approached by the bums? When Western Pennsylvanians actually went or stayed downtown nights and Saturdays? Your assertion is incorrect, sir, sad to say.

4. blee
    March 26, 2007 11:38 am

I like the bit about public transportation. Um yeah.

They are about to cut EVERY bus that runs in front of my house. So now it’s a 20 minute walk to the bus stop and then a 20+ minute ride downtown (even though I’m 4 miles from downtown). I can drive there in half the time. And we all know how cheap parking downtown is.

5. Bram R
    March 26, 2007 12:30 pm

I once took a job downtown largely because they had a pinball machine in the office. A really cool one. I also took the job because it was the first job-offer in my field [wretch] at the time. Anyway, it was a bad experience.

I have mixed feelings (i.e. I loathe) the Pgh Dntn Partnership, so I will watch this video and get back to you.

6. Bram R
    March 26, 2007 12:32 pm

WHY, OH MY GOD WHY, WAS THE WHOLE VIDEO FILMED INDOORS? Did they even bother going downtown? Or were they afraid they’d accidentally film people who were like … you know …

7. Zorro
    March 26, 2007 3:18 pm

The bums are practically everywhere; you need to avoid the larger bus stops because the crowds there often make it hard for other sidewalk users to pass by (maybe with the route cuts those crowds will be thinned a bit); parking way too expensive; I thought I heard a cultural district jazz club was closing(ed); don’t forget the aggressive geese and goose crap along the riverside trails! Restaurants? Many good ones but the suburban counterparts are easier to get to and often cost less.

8. Bram R
    March 26, 2007 3:59 pm

I’ve never found the streets in downtown Pittsburgh to be so thick with bums that it was difficult to walk. If your bus stop is in front of the McDonalds on Smithfield, try walking a few blocks.

And I was only chased from the North Shore by aggresive geese but the one time, although he/she may have had a point.

9. Anthony
    March 26, 2007 6:56 pm

Oh yeah, working downtown is great. The only things downtown lacks are JOBS.

10. Jim
    March 26, 2007 8:29 pm

Downtown lacks a lot more than jobs. It lacks clean streets, safe streets after dark, variety of places to shop economically (and I don’t mean just more dollar stores), more affordable entertainment instead of just what is in the so-called cultural district (that is a joke, a few theaters for the “seen and be seen” crowd and suddenly it is a “cultural district”. Give me a break.

11. honda driver
    March 27, 2007 12:26 pm

interesting… the video has been removed on youtube.

12. Pat
    March 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Yinz guys need to realize that Pittsburgh has it pretty good with the bums. One trip down here to DC and you’ll realize that Market Square’s got nothing on McPherson Square for grocery carts covered in plastic trash bags.

I’m off to watc the Pens beat the Caps at the Verizon Center. Word.

13. Judge Rufus Peckham
    March 29, 2007 11:23 am

Pat is on to something. They should add his suggestion to the video — have one of those happy actors exclaim with obvious delight, “And best of all, we’ve got fewer bums than McPherson Square in D.C.!” Now THAT’S a selling point!

14. George Nemeth
    March 30, 2007 6:08 am

Is there anywhere else the video is posted? It’s been taken down from YouTube.