Aliquippa? Super classy.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Have you guys heard about Aliquippa? About their basketball team’s super classy reaction to winning silver medals at the PIAA Basketball Championship?

In the moments after the final buzzer, the Quips’ players, clearly emotional after such a momentous letdown, didn’t seem interested in accepting the runner-up medals or trophy.

As the Prep Charter team aligned along the free-throw line at one end of the court, the Aliquippa players were scattered and some headed to the locker room. Once the Quips gathered and the medals were presented, the behavior of some could be interpreted as unsportsmanlike. When senior Herb Pope, a two-time all-state player and New Mexico State recruit, was handed his medal by coach Marvin Emerson, Pope immediately dropped it to the floor. It didn’t help that Pope was not standing in line and Emerson had to walk across the court to deliver the medal.

Then, when the team was to accept the silver runner-up trophy, the players reluctantly took it and then placed it on the court near the free-throw line and began to walk off the court. A couple other players retrieved it.

As I read that, I turned from a hot young cool chick into a seventy-year-old, purple-haired school marm who wants to find these kids, take their bubble gum, and use a rolled up newspaper to smack them upside the head for about an hour or so … just until I feel better.

It can’t be said enough. That was super classy.

Losers lose and they lost.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go boil an egg, get my hair reset, play some gin, and drink my Ensure until my stories come on.

The whole lot of them have been named the next Annoying Burghers and their crowns are in the mail … and by crowns I mean GET OFF MY LAWN, SONNY!

1. Zorro
    March 30, 2007 9:00 am

Your reaction is not marmish – its the realization that a whole generation of young people are rude, obnoxious, and uncouth.

2. Slidetuba
    March 30, 2007 9:05 am

PittGirl,

Being an educator, you should know, that probably, these kiddies would have something more substantial than a rolled up newspaper.. (Besides, who reads newspapers anymore, it’s all on-line.)

What these kids need is a lesson in humility. Maybe getting beaten by a bunch of suburbanites is what those kids really needed..

Slidetuba

3. gunnlino
    March 30, 2007 9:06 am

To many , second is the first loser, I feel their pain but if your not prepared to lose now and again don’t play.

4. dubvee95
    March 30, 2007 9:17 am

You couldn’t possibly morph from a hot, young, cool chick to a seventy-something with purple hair. It’s just not possible. Perish the thought.

March 30, 2007 10:30 am

Kids today? They couldn’t possibly have learned their bad manners from the … what was it, the ’72 Olympic team that got screwed and many of whom refuse to accept their silver medals to this day? I think that’s the story, but then I’m as old as PittGirl feels so I’m never sure.

Meantime … mmmmmmmmm, Ensure! Bucdaddy turns 5-0 in two months and has his AARP application right here .. somewhere … now where did I put that damn thing? And what did I come in here for? And who ARE you people?

6. PittGirl
    March 30, 2007 10:42 am

Hah!

7. Sofa King
    March 30, 2007 11:25 am

I don’t think it’s a generational problem, I just think it’s a problem with certain groups that are raised a certain way. When you expect things to be handed to you, it can be a real shock to the system when you realize not everything is.

8. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 30, 2007 12:19 pm

Please revise the Annoying Burgher list — make it the entire team except for junior Jonathon Baldwin. Another article (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07086/772678-49.stm) earlier in the week in the PG noted the behavior of the team, but pointed out:

“What needs to be lauded, however, is the behavior of Aliquippa junior Jonathan Baldwin. He was the personification of class at the exact time some of his teammates were having intolerable meltdowns.

Baldwin congratulated Prep Charter, shaking the hand of many members of the team and coaching staff even as tears streamed down his cheeks. After the medal ceremony, Baldwin took the time to graciously congratulate Prep Charter a second time.

As a storm of classless behavior whipped around him, Baldwin was a beacon of sportsmanship.

Everyone associated with Aliquippa should take note of how Jonathan Baldwin behaved and thank him for representing their town in a respectable manner.”

Great blog! Keep up the good work.

9. spoon
    March 30, 2007 12:59 pm

screw playing gin, DRINK some gin. Or drink gin while playing gin. Either way it’s Friday and I’m sure there’s a state store close to you with a beautiful bottle of Hendrick’s waiting.

gin! gin! gin! gin! gin!

cheers!
    -spoon

10. pensive
    March 31, 2007 2:26 pm

guess you really were angry pittgirl…http://post-gazette.com/pg/07090/774208-100.stm

11. Daniel
    April 2, 2007 11:47 am

As a New Mexico State alum, I find this behavior unacceptable. I was excited when Pope decided to play for New Mexico State, but after reading this, I am not so enthusiastic…

12. haveyoubeenthere?
    April 3, 2007 6:37 pm

Althought I also watched in horror as members of my alma mater looked like foolish, spoiled children after their loss to prep charter I stepped back and re-thought the situation.
    I was watching a group of young men that represent a city that for the past 20+ years has been trying to regain the ground that was ripped out from underneath them by the de-industrialization America. Right now, sports in Aliquippa is one of the few things that keeps the town going. Sports in Aliquippa has given people who lost everything something to be proud of. Drive thorugh Aliquippa, you will see what I mean!
    Many of those young men know what it is like to have nothing…they were playing for something. Sure, the behaviour was not appropriate, but for many of them basketball is a way out of the violence in Aliquippa that has become common place and dismissed by many in the area as “a problem with those kids in that neighborhood”.
    Perhaps we should take better care of each other and, instead of judging, get to know these kids.

13. John
    April 8, 2007 2:09 pm

“its the realization that a whole generation of young people are rude, obnoxious, and uncouth.”

I disagree.

When Westmont Hilltop blew a 4th quarter lead and lost to Beaver Falls in the state quarter finals this year, the entire team, many of them in tears, gathered at center court and knelt in prayer.

Maybe Aliquippa could have taken a lesson on how to lose with dignity and class.