A big sack of annoying.

Remember the whole fuss about Cmdr. McNeilly getting demoted for blowing the whistle, suing the pants off the city, winning an $85,000 settlement and getting her job back?

Thank God that’s over right. We can all “move forward” now, right?

Ya’d think.

Pittsburgh police Cmdr. Catherine R. McNeilly, who successfully fought her demotion with a federal whistle-blower lawsuit, yesterday released an open letter to city residents in which she gave her side of the matter and spelled out what she intends to do with the $85,000 settlement she received.

The letter, which Cmdr. McNeilly paid to have published as an advertisement in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette early next week, also criticized officials for failing to act upon the disciplinary matters that caused her to speak out in the first place.

Seriously? She took out an ad to tell us all about how she was wronged and to lay into who wronged her and why she did what she did and what she plans to do with her money (start a charitable fund)?

Didn’t anyone bother to take an ad out to tell her that no one gives a rat’s ass about this?

Some things from the letter:

— She once again lays into Rende.

— She lays into Lukey for running a corrupt office.

— The “intimately involved individual” is of course Marlene Cassidy, Rende’s sister.

— She ends the letter like so:

I accept it only so that I may put an end to the distraction that has been caused by this episode, and resume what I was in the process of doing throughout my 29 year career with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police as a law enforcement officer . . . To serve the citizens of Pittsburgh with accountability, integrity and respect.

Catherine R. McNeilly

Is she running for office or something?

God, let it die, Cmdr. McNeilly.

I’m here to tell you that nobody gives a rat’s ass and your big fat ego just got you named the next Annoying Burgher. Your crown is in the mail, and by crown I mean full page ad telling you in detail just how annoying you are.

Also? What’s up with her hair?  That’s some scary shit right there.

April 16, 2007 9:57 am

She looks like Leslie Stahl on a good hair day.

2. gunn lino
    April 16, 2007 11:09 am

I have it on good authority that Leslie Stahl got her wigs on close-out at Gabes in West Mifflin.

3. pittgirl
    April 16, 2007 11:10 am

Hah!

4. PMADPGH
    April 16, 2007 11:22 am

The TV coverage of her press conference made her seem a whole lot of crazy…

5. mer-man
    April 16, 2007 11:24 am

Yeah, she is so annoying, donating the 85k to charity!

She is SO SELFISH, giving away all that money to charity and trying to expose corruption!

And you know, even though she suffers from MS, she should have long hair. Even though MS effects your coordination and would you know, increase the difficulty of maintaining long hair.

Jeez, Cmdr. McNeilly, quit being selfish and try to be pretty.

(Note, this comment is dripping with sarcasm.)

6. PittGirl
    April 16, 2007 11:57 am

Mer-Man,

I get that you’re directing your sarcasm to me, so let me address:

1. I never said anything bad about her donating the money to charity. Blaring it in a paid ad in the PG is annoying.

2. I never called her selfish and she did a fine job exposing the corruption via the media intense months leading up to her settlement. We all knew what went on. She is annoying by rehashing it again in an ad in the PG.

3. Did I say she should have long hair? Really?! There are a bazillion awesome short hair styles that are cute as can be, but that one she picked is NOT cute.

4. Did I say she wasn’t pretty?

I supported McNeilly throughout this whole ordeal Mer-Man, RIGHT UP UNTIL she decided she needed to take out an ad in the PG. THAT is what was annoying.

Get it?

7. Erin
    April 16, 2007 12:01 pm

For once I have to respectfully disagree. The ad doesn’t bother me so much – I like that she’s not personally profiting off of this…and maybe letting others know that will be inspiring. Who knows. It just didn’t irk me.

As for her running for office, I don’t know if she will, but either way I am writing her in for mayoral candidate. At least I know she’s a stand-up woman, which says a lot and is needed in this good ol’ boy political machine in Pittsburgh.

8. PittGirl
    April 16, 2007 12:06 pm

Erin,

I see your point, however, while I commend her for giving away the settlement, I didn’t find the tone of the letter to be inspiring at all.

That said, I can certainly appreciate your side of it.

We can agree to disagree and I’ll still love you. :)

9. oldmanneill
    April 16, 2007 12:16 pm

yet another wig i’ve got to have!

10. Ms. Caroline
    April 16, 2007 1:44 pm

How much does an ad in the Post-Gazette cost? Why do people who donate to charities always have to announce it? I’d have more respect for someone who’d donate without the newspaper advertisement. Or instead of one.

11. cityworker
    April 16, 2007 3:55 pm

the fact that she took out a page add to describe what she did and why she did it leads me to believe she acted in the first place for personal reasons and not because she believed it was the right thing to do.

12. DW
    April 16, 2007 4:17 pm

That ad set her back about $2K…

13. Imusfan
    April 16, 2007 9:21 pm

If the City of Pittsburgh (any government entity for that matter) had more people like this woman, the city might be in somewhat better shape. Good for her that she blew the whistle on these guys. Give her credit for coming to work every day while suffering from MS. There are a lot of people out there who get disability checks from the City who have NO disability. She is a stand up human being and I, for one, wish her the best of everything and better health.

14. ButchCassidy
    May 8, 2007 12:55 am

The McNeilly’s are crooks who were just trying to get money out of the taxpayers.They framed an innocent police officer(Edmond Gaudelli)who was exposing their corruption.At his Perjury trial,Ms.McNeilly stated that she could not brush her teeth or comb her hair because of her M.S.Directly after the trial,she did an interview with the Trib where she stated that she was just as good as she ever was and better than two new officers who were getting laid-off by the City.Oh yeah,she also said that she could still shoot a gun and drive a car.I’m told by the experts that M.S. is a progressively disabling disease that one doesn’t recover from.Could somebody please explain to me then how this miraculous recovery took place that has not been seen since the New Testament story of Lazarus?