CMU?!?!

MSNBC has named the Burgh as one of the Top 10 Underrated US Cities:

Forget Pittsburgh’s reputation for smokestacks and steel, because today the city is sparkling with pristine parks, architectural assets, and three rivers flowing into downtown’s “Golden Triangle.” Several museums — the Carnegie Museum of Art among them — are worth hitting, but don’t miss the Andy Warhol Museum featuring over 12,000 of his works. A treasure trove of used books is found on the city’s South Side, while nightlife is suddenly sizzling in neighborhoods like Oakland and the Strip District, thanks to thousands of college students from Carnegie Mellon (among others) and young professionals dancing and mingling in the bars and clubs.

CMU?  CMU?!?!  They’re going to chalk up the insane college partying that takes place in this city to CMU!?!?!?!?

WTF?

Regardless:   Yay for Pittsburgh!

(hat tip to reader Pinto Alegre)

1. wshicldtel
    April 16, 2007 11:25 am

Just waiting for the posting of Lukey taking credit as he “moves us forward” lol lol lol

2. Julie_Gong
    April 16, 2007 12:48 pm

I thought they only built robots at CMU?

3. GSIA alum
    April 16, 2007 1:22 pm

yes, Julie, booze-drinking frenzied sex-machine super-intelligent geeky H-1B visa holding non-english-speaking robots

4. Jackie
    April 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Work hard, party hard?

No really, I’m a CMU alum and I’m laughing my ass off about that.

5. lynne
    April 16, 2007 2:22 pm

hmmm…no mention of the sucky weather, though

6. parking chair
    April 16, 2007 5:17 pm

come on, we all know it’s because of the Catholic girls gone wild from Duquesne. (Yes, I am an alum, so I can say that).

7. Anthony
    April 16, 2007 10:02 pm

The author of the article must have had me and Esteban in mind when he or she chose to reference CMU.

8. Sofa King
    April 16, 2007 10:35 pm

I was going to say that’s pretty awesome until I saw Baltimore in the #1 spot…now I think the author might be delusional…

9. Pat
    April 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Well, I go to Duquesne and I, for one, am offended. I will do my best this weekend to show how offended I am by getting shit-faced a lot.

April 17, 2007 1:03 am

Makes it hard for anyone to “Forget Pittsburgh’s reputation for smokestacks and steel” when out-of-town writers keep bringing it up. Ya think maybe yinz could come up with a lede that isn’t, y’know, 30 years out of date? Why not post that infamous photo of midnight at noon while you’re at it? “Surprise! Pittsburgh doesn’t look like this anymore!”

We could make this a game, I guess. I’ll go first: “Forget Chicago’s reputation for Feb. 14 gang slaughter and cows burning down the town.”

“Forget San Francisco’s reputation for being leveled and burned to the ground by an earthquake.”

“Forget Pangaeia’s reputation for splitting into seven continents.”

I could go on, but I don’t want to take all the good ones. Your turn.

11. spoon
    April 17, 2007 9:28 am

Pangea! I’ll drink to that!

April 17, 2007 10:45 am

Whoa! Spoon knows good beer. I like Midas Touch and 90 Min. myself.

13. Cortney
    April 17, 2007 11:11 am

Perhaps this is where CMU’s connections and money pay off … name dropping in articles about Pittsburgh.

14. spoon
    April 17, 2007 11:37 am

I hope I do bucdaddy, it’s a pre-req for doing a beer review podcast :)

Too bad Golden Shower was renamed. I think there’s still 1 left in the SIDT Beer Fridge. I just recently chugged a DFH 120 Minute :) 90 Minute is by far my favorite DFH beverage.

April 17, 2007 3:45 pm

No, no, you don’t chug 120, you savor it, every sip. Ahhh, that’s drinkin’. Ever been to DFH Rehoboth? Like Kennywood for beer drinkers.

16. spoon
    April 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Oh i know that :) We had a fan challenge us so we said eh, wtf, why not.

I have not been there but plan on making it soon.

April 17, 2007 7:45 pm

Cool. You should make plans to stay a couple-three days at least so you can parcel out the seriously high-test stuff and try them all. I like Rehoboth as a town too, only wish I could afford to go more often.

18. Pingback: 4media dvd to mp4 converter for mac 4.0.72.1024.