Dear Penguins fans,

If you are attending the game tonight and you so much as make a frickin’ peep, burp, or ahem during the Canadian National Anthem … the anthem of Sidney Crosby, Erik Christensen, Jordan Staal, Maxime “Ahrooo” Talbot, Colby Armstrong, Mark Recchi, Gary Roberts,  and eight other Penguins … you will hereby be banned from the Burgh Blog forever and every time I see you on the street I will stop you, point out in detail exactly what is wrong with you, and maybe even kick you in the shins with my pointy shoes and then sic the pigeons on you.

There are a total of five players on the Pens that were actually born in the USA.  Five.

And if you happen to be sitting next to someone who starts booing, peeping, burping, or ahem-ing during the Canadian National Anthem and you don’t immediately blindside them with a full-body tackle, I’ll be a little disappointed in you.

Sincerely,

PittGirl

P.S.  Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

P.S. Dos.  Whoa!

1. DW
    April 17, 2007 9:43 am

PittGirl, I’ll hammer anyone that boos, promise. It’s ridiculous. I did hear somebody tell some drunks that were booing on Sunday to shut up, which was sweet.

2. Mia`
    April 17, 2007 11:22 am

Good for you PittGirl! There are far better ways to show the Pens your support!

3. Aeran
    April 17, 2007 11:43 am

Crosby is an international hero at this point — there are posters of him in basically every Tim Horton’s in Montreal as well as every sports bar in the Burgh. There’s no excuse for not showing the tiniest amount of respect for the country that let us steal him!

4. gibby dinkerwald
    April 17, 2007 1:00 pm

Bunch of no class/low class yinzers, having no concept of national pride and respect.

They should be thrown to the ground, have their mullets shorn, their dirty high top unlaced tennys tied together and hung from the nearest power line.

Maybe forced to not wear their $250 NASCAR leather jacket until they pay up the past due child support.

5. BURGH
    April 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Yinzers can’t even afford Pens game. Blame this on:

A.) Younger fans that got their cash flow from one of their divorced parents.

B.) People that havent been to many games and don’t own a T Shirt but own every color of Haggar slacks known to man.

C.) Their wives that were force fed beers on end to keep them happy (you want proof? check the line at a women’s restroom there).

Here is an idea: If the Pens actually survive and bring the series back to the Igloo, how about buying up the remaining tickets and actually stop bitching?

6. sara
    April 17, 2007 3:23 pm

I’m Canadian and was watching that game at my home with friends.. And a lot of people were extremely pissed off by our anthem, and the anthem of the majority of the penguins, was booed. It made the fans look really friggin’ classy.

7. Susan Helene Gottfried
    April 17, 2007 3:26 pm

You should have seen the reaction of us long-time season ticket holders (who are apparently NOT Yinzers, according to Burgh up there) when it happened. Had any of those folk been near us, they wouldn’t have been happy. We were looking for them.

8. Bram R
    April 17, 2007 4:20 pm

I’ve been going to pens games on and off for … I want to tell you. Anyway, I have never heard that type of behavior. Everybody knows the candadian national anthem is wholly awesome and kicks ours all to hell, anyway.

9. Chase
    April 17, 2007 6:15 pm

Sara…you’re fellow Canadians boo the US Anthem at Canadian playoff hockey games.

It’s a fucking anthem, who gives a shit?

This is hockey…not international politics.

I’m gonna boo from my apartment.

10. BURGH
    April 17, 2007 11:38 pm

Susan,

I never said in my description they were season ticket holders. I have had a partial plan myself for a few years and was there Sunday.

Also funny that everyone heard the booing, yet give the same excuse that ‘we couldn’t find them’. Like you were going to drop your nachos and take care of it. Maybe you are a yinzer after all.

I’m not in favor of booing, but also not in favor of leaving the game late, or sitting on your hands once the score became 2-1 Ottawa on Sunday.

That said, they were not disrupting my seat, and if they paid for theirs, more power to them.

11. Susan Helene Gottfried
    April 18, 2007 7:47 am

No, you said that Yinzers can’t afford to go to games. Guess that means I’m not a Yinzer.

And bite me, but we WERE looking and we WOULD have told people to stuff it. We’ve done it before and we’ll do it again; that sort of thing does disrupt our game experience because we chose to sit in a section popular with long-time season-ticket holders (FULL-plan holders, like ourselves) who know the game and take it seriously. I’ve turned around and explained to the woman behind me why shooting the puck when the Pens cross the center red line is NOT a good idea, nor is yelling “shoot the puck!” at that moment. So if you think me, who is all of five feet tall, won’t tell someone to shut up when they boo during the Canadian National Anthem, you clearly haven’t met me.

12. Jonathan Potts
    April 18, 2007 11:42 am

It’s not right to boo during the singing of the Canadian national anthem. However, I’m of the opinion that national anthems should not be played at sporting events save the Olympics. It’s a bit too nationalistic for me, and I fail to see what a professional sporting event has to do with patriotism.

13. BURGH
    April 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Susan,

BITE ME? Sure you weren’t booing?

You should be glad the woman you tried to tell how to cheer wasn’t a yinzer.

You would have been much shorter than you actually are.