Don’t hate me …

… if I don’t write anything about that hideous display of assholeness at VA Tech.  Some things I just have to leave alone because saying anything isn’t going to change how angry we are and who am I to put in my two cents about something I will never ever ever understand?

All I understand is that sometimes … life sucks so bad.

Grr.

1. gunn lino
    April 17, 2007 9:08 am

Word !

2. Stasia
    April 17, 2007 9:32 am

As a Hokie alumna, I just want to say … I’m glad the gunman’s dead.

That is all.

3. DW
    April 17, 2007 9:48 am

Senseless…

4. WrigleyGrec
    April 17, 2007 10:54 am

This one struck a little too close to home. Let’s hope that everyone recovers and that VT can recover and get past this.

5. efw_west
    April 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Sorry, this is Columbine part 2. Many scary similarities. Loner who expressed some disturbing views in his writings….why was this ignored (similar to Columbine)? Slaughter occurring inside a school building while police/swat mysteriously don’t enter the building until it is too late (Columbine once again). Poor communications by school officials, etc. the list goes on and on.

When will we ever learn? One final thought….guns don’t kill people….total bullsh*t. This loser walks into a store and buys an automatic/assualt weapon. If there is effective gun control (at least ban assualt weapons), this wouldn’t occur. Do citizens really need to own automatic weapons?

6. My Co-worker Just Back from Iraq
    April 17, 2007 2:27 pm

My coworker just returned from his tour in Iraq. Have you heard of the US Military? They exist to protect your freedom and liberties. Your neighbors, friends, relatives all enlist to risk their lives to protect things you take for granted, like sharing your opinions on this particular blog.

So, efw_west:
    Aside from alleged easy access to firearms, I find it to be of interest that the community’s and school’s social welfare programs completely failed.

With a significant percentage of our tax dollars being spent on public-access hospitals, counseling, and social welfare programs… including student tuition dollars being spent at VT for mental health counselors and health services – should we stop providing funding to those programs because one slipped through the cracks?

Let’s ban guns AND stop funding the social welfare system in this country. We’ll save billions by de-funding a worthless system of mental health care and take all of the weapons out of the hands of common citizens.

Or… you could just move to Colombia if you don’t like the United States. Freedom requires responsibility, and sometimes freedom has its price.

7. efw_west
    April 17, 2007 3:12 pm

Okay coworker, if your definition of freedom is that every citizen is armed to the teeth, then perhaps you are the one who should move to Columbia. You NRA types crack me up. Forget common sense, it all goes back to freedom and the constitution. If the founding fathers could see what a mess that phrase about right to bear arms created, they would rescind it in a heartbeat.

8. Pinto Alegre
    April 17, 2007 3:23 pm

This world sucks. Sometimes I think that the “hell” that a lot of us believe in is actually on Earth now. How else do you explain things like this? How do you explain an a**hole lining little Amish girls up against the wall and then shooting them point blank?!?!

The lyrics from Tool’s “Aenema” say it best:

Some say the end is near.
    Some say well see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this

9. DW
    April 17, 2007 3:51 pm

Hey efw_west, get a grip on your gun control-political rants.

We should be thinking of the families, students and all involved during this trying period of time. Not using the catastrophe as reason to rail on gun control….

10. Dano
    April 18, 2007 8:32 am

I agree DW, no is not the time to be jumping on the gun control debate. Its the typical knee-jerk reaction. Its too soon. Dont worry its going to come out eventually but let the families grieve and let VT begin the healing process.

11. Stasia
    April 18, 2007 9:45 am

“Loner who expressed some disturbing views in his writings….why was this ignored?”

In fact, his writings weren’t ignored. Lucinda Roy, director of creative writing at Virginia Tech and a former professor of Cho, said police at the time told her they couldn’t intervene because no specific threats had been made. In addition to contacting police, the English department referred Cho to the university’s counselling service. Again, since no specific threats had been made, they couldn’t force this kid into psychiatric care. That’s the price of freedom, my friend.

12. Sofa King
    April 19, 2007 3:33 pm

Sorry for being lewd, but I kinda hope Mr. Cho is somewhere in Hell being sodomized for eternity by some demon with a big, spiky schlong.

That is all…